Chapter 8

Lovers in Tokyo

Chapter 8

 

6 Months after Kyuhyun’s Debut

 

The Plasma TV in the SM Lounge . The channels began to flip through and stopped on the local music channel. There was an interview with Kyuhyun. The reporter spoke up.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun…the dashing new male artist in SM…tremendous vocals…amazing style…and a bright smile…sir…what is your…secret?”

 

Kyuhyun laughed and responded.

 

“I was blessed…great family…great friends…they give me confidence to keep going…”

 

“Surrounded by people that love you…amazing…now…the biggest question…lots of female fans have been emailing left and right…is there a Mrs. Cho?”

 

Kyuhyun laughed and smiled.

 

“No…there isn’t…”

 

The reporter leaped off his chair.

 

“Sir…you are…single?”

 

“Single…”

 

Kyuhyun looked to the screen and smiled.

 

“I guess I am…”

The reporter chuckled.

 

“Well, ladies and gentlemen! You heard it…the man with the golden voice has spoken! Talented, handsome, and available! Cho Kyuhyun…it was…a…PLEASURE!”

 

Kyuhyun shook the reporter’s hand.

 

“It sure was…thank you!”

 

“Also, Kyuhyun will be promoting his first album and joining the beautiful, Kim Taeyeon, on her Asia tour…so please…please…PLEASE! Look out!”

 

The lights went off and the interview was over. Seohyun turned off the TV screen and smiled. She turned and looked over to Heechul.

 

“Oppa…what do you think?”

 

“Kyuhyun…he’s…he’s…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“He’s the savior of our company!”

 

Seohyun laughed.

 

“No…but seriously…”

 

“Kyuhyun…he’s an artist…and you my darling…were lucky…”

 

Seohyun fell on the couch beside Heechul and placed her head on his shoulder.

 

“These past months have been a whirl, Oppa…I’m like going insane…everyone wants a piece of him…”

 

“I know…”

 

Heechul looked down to Seohyun and lifted his eyebrow.

 

“Oppa…why are you looking at me like that?”

 

She playfully narrowed her eyes.

 

“Oh…I don’t know…everyone wants to get to him but…SOMEONE seems to get in the way a lot…”

 

“Excuse me?! I let him do all the interviews and game shows he wants!”

 

“Oh really?!”

 

“Uh huh…and…and…”

“Haha…look at you…he was the one you met in Japan…wasn’t he?”

 

Seohyun remain silent and turned away.

 

“Seo Joo Hyun…your Oppa is talking to you…he was the ONE, wasn’t he?”

 

“Oppa…I need to get going…I have to things to do-“

 

Heechul pulled her back down on the couch and looked into her eyes. He could tell she was fighting her tears.

 

“Oh no…he is the one...”

 

Seohyun bit her lip and lightly nodded. Heechul remembered Seohyun’s tale about Japan and how she fell in love with a young man who sang in the club. Heechul spoke up.

 

“Does anyone know?”

 

Seohyun shook her head. Heechul could tell she was keeping it secret.

 

“You guys haven’t…no…you two DID?!”

 

“OPPA! No…we never…we never even kissed…oh god…it’s complicated…”

 

“Seohyun…I’m worried now…”

 

“Why? Everything has been fine between us…strictly business…”

 

“Is everything…really fine?”

 

“Yeah…and Yongwa and I are talking again so…yeah…”

 

Heechul stared at her. He could tell she was troubled. He held her hand.

 

“I know you love to work…I do…we ALL do…but please…your heart…please take care of it…”

 

He pointed at her chest.

 

“I don’t think there will be enough ice cream if things fail…”

 

“Oppa!”

 

Heechul laughed and Seohyun jabbed him on the shoulder.

 

“So, this tour…how is everything going with your unnie?”

 

“Taeyeon-unnie’s Asia tour? Oh, everything is going perfect…we leave next week for China, Thailand, Japan, then finally Indonesia…it’ll be great!”

“I’m sure…plus you have more time with Kyuhyun…”

 

“Oppa…don’t…”

 

“What? Just saying…”

 

“Ok…well…I need to get going now…but…one favor please…”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Please…keep my prior thing with Kyuhyun…down low…if the Chairman hears it…it’s over…”

 

“My lips are sealed…but…this whole thing sounds like a great love story doesn’t it? The agent in love with her client…oh…love…so sad…so…sad…”

 

Heechul began to chuckle and Seohyun smacked him on the shoulder.

 

“Oppa…stop!”

 

“Okay…go now before I start spreading rumors!”

 

Seohyun laughed and left the break room to return to her office.

 

The elevator opened and Seohyun stepped out. She walked down the hallway and veered left to avoid Taeyeon.

 

“I don’t really want to speak to her right now…”

 

Taeyeon and entourage passed her unnoticed and Seohyun continued her way. She pulled out her phone and read a text from Yongwa.

 

“Seohyun…I’m leaving for Europe and I’ll be there for a week…we should meet up and have dinner…sound good?”

 

Seohyun sighed and closed her phone. As she looked up, she bumped into someone in front of her door.

 

“Hey! Watch it-“

 

“Sorry Seohyun…”

 

Seohyun was startled to find Kyuhyun in front of her.

 

“Kyuhyun…what are you doing here? I thought you were at ‘Star King’ right now?”

 

“Oh…the taping was yesterday so…I’m free today…”

 

“Free? Really?”

 

She pulled out her phone and looked through his schedule. He was right.

 

“You’re right…I didn’t notice that…”

 

“I’m here to do some vocal lessons with Taeyeon and meet with her whole crew but…I wanted to speak with you first…if that’s okay?”

 

“Yeah…please…come in…”

 

She opened the door to her office and Kyuhyun followed along.

 

“So…this is your office?”

 

“Wait…you never been in here?”

 

“No…you always met with me outside or in the recording room…”

 

“Oh…wow…”

 

“Weird…huh?”

 

Seohyun laughed then caught herself. She returned to her serious tone.

 

“So…what did you have in mind?”

 

Kyuhyun shut the door behind him and took a seat. He looked around and saw all the SNSD memorabilia on the wall and the achievements she made while she was in the group. He looked over to the view outside the window and saw the Han River.

 

“For an agent…you have a really nice office…”

 

“I’m the best…”

 

“I bet…”

 

Kyuhyun smiled and stared at her.

 

“Kyuhyun?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“What do you want? I’m busy…”

 

“Oh…I just wanted to spend some time with you…my head has been spinning for the past few weeks and I just needed time to sit and talk with my…friend…”

 

Seohyun sat in front of her computer and turned it on. Kyuhyun looked over and smiled.

 

“I know you schedule and meet with people but…what else do you do?”

 

“I have to do promotions…work with advertistment…constantly revert back to your contract and make sure we are following proper guidelines…and…managing you…it gets hectic…”

 

Kyuhyun stood up and went over to the window to look at the river. He looked to the table of memorabilia and saw something familiar. He walked over and saw a familiar drawing he drew several years back. He picked it up and showed it to Seohyun.

 

“You still have this?”

 

It was the sketch he drew of her. Seohyun sprang up from her desk and snatched it out his hand.

 

“How did that get there?”

 

Kyuhyun smirked as Seohyun drew the picture into her drawer. He could tell she was getting irritated but it looked cute.

 

“Kyuhyun…I need to work…so…if you could-“

 

“It’s that time again…”

 

“What time?”

 

“Spring…”

 

“So…”

 

“The cherry blossoms flourish and fall during spring in Japan…remember?”

 

Seohyun looked at him and remembered the cherry blossoms. He dug into his pocket and pulled out a cherry blossom leaf and placed it on her desk.

 

“I should get back to work as well…I’ll see you…boss…”

 

He left the room and shut the door. Seohyun remained in her desk but stared at the single blossom leaf on her desk.

 

“Kyuhyun…”

 

The music stopped playing and the dance group took a break. Taeyeon spoke up.

 

“Everyone! Gather up, please!”

 

All the dancers surrounded her.

 

“The tour is less than a week away…we’re going to be traveling for at least three months…all over Asia! Everyone has to promise me that we will work hard and together…understand?”

 

Everyone cheered and agreed. Kyuhyun stepped inside the dance studio. Taeyeon continued.

 

“I have to admit…this is my first real tour by myself…for those who are veterans…please guide me…I know you were there during my girl group days…but…those days are over and it’s a new Kim Taeyeon…we’re going to conquer Asia!!!”

 

The whole group cheered. Kyuhyun sat down on the bench and watched as the group dispersed for lunch. Taeyeon wiped her sweat and saw Kyuhyun sitting. She blushed and hurried towards him.

 

“Kyuhyun? You’re early…”

 

“Oh, I know…I just wanted to see your dance routine before the show on the weekend…I’m real excited…”

 

Taeyeon sat beside him and smiled.

 

“It’s going to be a lot of fun…oh…so many memories…”

 

“I bet…you girls rocked the world…”

 

Taeyeon sighed.

 

“We sure did…”

 

“So was that your new song you were dancing to?”

 

“It was…”

 

“What was the title again?”

 

“It’s called…’Unforgivable’…”

 

“I heard it on the radio…very catchy…danceable as well…”

 

“I know…”

 

Kyuhyun realized Taeyeon was already touching his leg with her leg. He slowly eased back.

 

“Truthfully…I came early so…we could practice our duet…”

 

“Oh…we could do that a little later…but first…”

 

Taeyeon moved closer to him and whispered.

 

“I’m free right now…are you hungry?”

 

Kyuhyun smiled and got up.

 

“I already ate, Taeyeon…just call me when you need me…”

 

“Kyuhyun, hold on…”

 

Taeyeon stood up and followed Kyuhyun to the door.

 

“I hope you don’t think I’m a little too…aggressive…”

 

Kyuhyun tried not to laugh.

 

“I don’t think so…why?”

 

Taeyeon blushed.

 

“Kyuhyun…let me be serious…please let’s sit…I’ll be…nice…”

 

Kyuhyun shrugged and return to his seat. Taeyeon continued.

 

“As you heard…this is my first real solo tour…I control most of what’s going on and I’m the star…it has always been a dream of mine…of course…I’ll be showcasing other talents such as yourself along the trip…I want to know if we could work together…”

 

“I understand…truthfully, I think you can be a little too…flirty…but I find it charming…let’s try to be professional, alright?”

 

Taeyeon nodded. Kyuhyun continued.

 

“This will be my first real concert in front of thousands of people…I was used to small bars and lounges…so it’s a first to me as well…I will be there to support you all the way…for our duet…we need to knock the crowd out!”

 

Taeyeon laughed.

 

“Kyuhyun…you have so much spirit…I like that…”

 

“It’s all I got…”

 

They both smiled and remain silent. Taeyeon whispered.

 

“I’m glad you here…you have a lot of potential…I was worried…the company was suffering because of the lost of talent over the years…”

 

“Thank you…I’m glad to be here…”

 

Taeyeon turned and smiled.

 

“Let’s make sure this tour brings back the spirit of SM…”

 

“It will…”

 

Taeyeon put her hand out and Kyuhyun shook her hand. Kyuhyun did not know what to expect on the tour but he made sure that he would showcase his talent and bring pride to the rest of the group. From the looks of Taeyeon, he knew it meant a lot to her to do a good job on the tour. This tour was going to change his life forever.

 

3 Months Later…

 

Bali, Indonesia, the Grand Hyatt

 

The champagne cork popped open and liquid gold poured out into the wine glasses. The ballroom was crowded with humanity. From the backstage crew to the dancers, everyone was laughing and cheering. After a long three months of traveling and working, the show finally ended in Jakarta, Indonesia. The Gelora Bung Karno Stadium, which holds more than 80,000 people, had sold out tickets for Taeyeon’s Asia Tour. The following night, the entire group headed down to Bali to celebrate with an outrageous after-party.

 

Taeyeon stood up on the table, wearing a gorgeous black dress, and tapped her wine glass to gather attention. Everyone quieted down and looked forward. Kyuhyun sipped his martini and looked up. Taeyeon spoke up.

 

“Everyone! We survived!”

 

Everyone laughed and cheered. She continued.

 

“Seriously though…I’m glad everyone stuck it out until the final moment…from all the sweat, blood, and tears we endured these years to finally make a tour happen and finally completing the tour…I’m so proud to have all of you here…”

 

She began to tear up and everyone cheered for her. Kyuhyun raised his glass towards her. She smiled back and continued.

 

“I love you all…seriously…you made my dreams come true…and I’m indebted to you all…THANK YOU SO MUCH! Please drink up and have fun!!!”

 

Everyone cheered and continued to socialize. Kyuhyun looked to his phone. Seohyun failed to text him back. He hadn’t seen her for several weeks and was beginning to feel that they were slowly drifting apart. It was something he was dreading would happen. Finally, a text came in and Kyuhyun checked quickly. It was from Seohyun.

 

“Kyuhyun…terrific job on the tour…I’ll be there in an hour…I’m picking up Yongwa…”

 

Kyuhyun closed his phone. He couldn’t help but feel jealous.

 

“Yongwa…”

 

Taeyeon snuck up behind him.

 

“BOO!”

 

Kyuhyun tucked his phone into his pocket and turned to Taeyeon.

 

“Taeyeon…we did it!”

 

“I know…I’m so glad…”

 

She embraced him. He could tell she was mildly drunk.

 

“Taeyeon, you want to step out and grab some air?”

 

“Sure thing…honey…”

 

The hotel was majestic which boasted beautiful architecture and an awesome view of the Pacific Ocean. The air was cool and the sound of the waves sweeping the sand was elegant. Kyuhyun took a view of the stars and turned to Taeyeon. She simply stared at him with a cute smile.

 

“Taeyeon…besides being a singer…did you ever…fall in love?”

 

“Love…hmmm…”

 

“We both sing about it…I just wanted to hear about your experiences…”

 

“I did once…when I was in high school…”

 

“I see…”

 

Taeyeon giggled.

 

“He was so nice…he cared a lot about me…even when I first joined the girl group…he was always there to support me…we used to talk at night on the phone…my training days were terrible but he made it easier for me…”

 

“I see…”

 

“Yet…I had to make a choice in the end…either I go with the group or…stay with him…the Chairman was real strict…especially on girls…he always had an image to keep up…so…”

 

Taeyeon slowly began to tear up.

 

“My boyfriend…I mean…he was only a simple farmer…”

 

Kyuhyun could tell she made a lot of sacrifices to be where she was. She continued.

 

“I eventually broke up with him…I cried for two weeks…I hated being a singer…I hated being in a group…I couldn’t stand it…but…I wanted to see if I could succeed in my dreams…eventually…it healed…and well…after all the years…I finally…made it…”

 

Kyuhyun looked into her tearful eyes. She carried some regret in her eyes.

 

“Do you still love him?”

 

She was startled from his question. She wiped her tears and giggled.

 

“Love him…that was ages ago…”

 

“I know…but do you still love him?”

 

“Years ago…while I was still SNSD…we were signing autographs all over the country…I didn’t realize it but we had to get some gas in a village…I forgot it was my old hometown…I seriously forgot…I was terrible…”

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Anyways…our manager went to fetch some gas while we hung out by the van…Tiffany and I were chatting outside when suddenly…my old boyfriend came out the gas station with his family…he had a wife…a baby boy…he saw me…we made eye contact…he never said a word to me…he simply continued on his way…”

 

Kyuhyun was shocked.

 

“He simply looked at me, Kyuhyun…it was like I was a…ghost…later that night…I stayed in my room…and…cried…I simply cried…I loved him with all my heart and to see him forget me like that…it …was…hard…”

 

Taeyeon slowly began to sob and Kyuhyun held her. He spoke up.

 

“Taeyeon…I feel your pain…I’m so sorry…after seeing your songs…I could feel that you were hurting…I hurt too…”

 

“Kyuhyun…thank you…”

 

He wiped her tears.

 

“Kyuhyun…I learned one thing from all of this…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Sometimes…following your dreams could be the most painful decision in your life…sometimes you need to check if it’s all worth it…”

 

“You are right on that…”

 

Taeyeon wiped her tears and took another sip of her champagne.

 

“Well…sir…I’ll be returning to my room…I’m very tired…”

 

“You do that, Taeyeon…”

 

She made a hiccup then laughed.

 

“Kyuhyun?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I would tell you that I love you…but I could tell from your eyes…someone has your heart already…so…I won’t waste my time…”

 

Kyuhyun was bewildered by her statement. She smiled and turned.

 

“Goodnight…Prince Charming…”

 

“Goodnight…Taeyeon…”

 

She lifted her glass in the air and disappeared down the corner of the poolside. Kyuhyun took a sip of his drink and relaxed himself by the railing. He felt a cold chill run through his body. He wished that Seohyun would arrive quicker.

 

Yongwa parked the car and Seohyun stepped out. She breathed the fresh air and smiled towards Yongwa.

 

“What a lovely night…”

 

“It is, Hyun…”

 

Besides the big Asia Tour, Seohyun was able to fit in more time with Yongwa. While in Indonesia, they soaked in the sites and visited all over Bali. The media was already following them and labeling them as a couple. Seohyun was starting to get used to being back with Yongwa. Yongwa sighed.

 

“Hyun…do we really need to be here tonight?”

 

“Yes…it’s a big SM party and…my client Kyuhyun was a success…I have to congratulate him for all his work…I never got a chance to do it backstage…”

 

“Yeah…I know…but still…”

 

“Yong…it will take just 10 minutes…plus…doesn’t this place look so elegant…I can’t wait!

 

Yongwa felt irritated by Seohyun. Even though they were together, she constantly spoke about her job and her amazing client, Kyuhyun. Yongwa refused to suspect anything but he couldn’t help it. He didn’t follow her to Bali to waste time. He was going to set out on what he planned to do.

 

Kyuhyun stared at his watch. The party was still raging on. He looked up towards the door and suddenly felt relieved. Seohyun appeared.

 

“Seohyun…”

 

She was dressed casually in white short sleeves, long white skirt, and fashionable weaved hat. Kyuhyun walked up to her with a smile.

 

“I thought you wouldn’t make it…”

 

“How could I miss it?”

 

They both embraced each other tightly. Kyuhyun saw Yongwa over her shoulder and quickly eased off. Seohyun was startled but saw Yongwa and understood.

 

“The concert was amazing…”

 

“It was…I never performed in front of so many people…I was actually nervous…but your Unnie was a real professional…”

 

“Taeyeon-Unnie is terrific…where is she by the way?”

 

“She got a little…drunk…so she’s resting for the night…”

 

“I see…well…shall we?”

 

Yongwa stuck his hand out.

 

“Good job, Kyuhyun…Seohyun couldn’t stop talking about your performance…”

 

Kyuhyun shook his hand while he looked over to Seohyun. She was blushing heavily.

 

“Thank you, Yongwa…let’s go inside and enjoy the party, shall we?”

 

Yongwa took Seohyun’s hand and walked ahead. Seohyun turned and looked over to Kyuhyun. She bit her lip and followed Yongwa inside. Kyuhyun tried his best to ignore the small gesture but he felt a bit envious. He knew Seohyun and Yongwa have been dating more often and they have been all over the newspapers. Kyuhyun made himself work harder to avoid any distractions but it was tough. He saw Seohyun a lot but as his manager. It was hard to comprehend everything between her and him. He shook his head to erase the image and followed them into the party.

 

The drinking started to die down and the crowd was soon dispersing. The crew began to return their rooms. Kyuhyun, Yongwa, and Seohyun remained at the table and we’re enjoying the last of the champagne. Seohyun, mildly buzzed, was beginning to turn red. Kyuhyun .

 

“Seohyun…you…you’re red!”

 

“No, I’m not! It’s just…just…hot!”

 

They both began to laugh at each other. Yongwa remained quiet in his seat and observed their interaction. Yongwa spoke up.

 

“Hyun…is it possible if we could speak in private…”

 

“Yong! Come on…it’s a party! Have fun, you sourpuss…”

 

Yongwa turned and found the hall slowly emptying.

 

“Hyun…it’s empty…stop being foolish and let’s go outside…”

 

He took her by her arm and stood her up.

 

“Yong…come on…let’s drink here…”

 

“Let’s drink outside…Kyuhyun…if you could excuse us…”

 

Kyuhyun smiled and gave a friendly nod. Yongwa and Seohyun stepped outside. Kyuhyun took another sip of his drink then relaxed. He was curious about what they were talking about in private but he felt it would only make things worse. Yongwa did not look like he was in mood for any disagreement. Suddenly, Taeyeon stumbled onto the table with a full bottle of vodka in her hand. She was dead-drunk.

 

“Kyuhyun…why…why…why…why are you still here?”

 

Kyuhyun laughed.

 

“Taeyeon…you’re drunk…let me get you back in your room before you cause some trouble, okay?”

 

“Wait…please…let me finish…why are….you…still…here?”

 

Taeyeon face was flushed with red. Kyuhyun responded.

 

“Seohyun came to visit…”

 

“Baby Seohyun? Oh my…she’s…here?!”

 

“Haha…yeah…but she with Yongwa right now…”

 

“Yong? Let me tell you a secret! You ready?!”

 

“Taeyeon…please…your voice…”

 

“Oh…sorry…well…you know…Seohyun was in love with that…guy…a long time ago…”

 

Kyuhyun was intrigued.

 

“In love…with him? I thought it was just a show…”

 

“A show? No way…Seo-baby thought the whole thing was true…in the end…that bastard broke her heart…poor baby cried to all of us…Jessica was going to strangle him…but Seo-baby told us to refrain from our violence and just stay…quiet…she never returned to her cute self…poor baby…”

 

Kyuhyun finally realized who Seohyun was truly in love with before. He grew concerned and stood up to find her. Taeyeon placed her head down and hiccupped.

 

“Taeyeon…I’ll be right back, alright?”

 

“I love you, Kyuhyun…you know that? You are…cool…”

 

Taeyeon placed her head down and fell to sleep. Kyuhyun shook his head then turned to look for Seohyun.

 

Seohyun and Yongwa stood by the railing as the breeze blew through. Seohyun seemed irritated.

 

“Yong…I was having fun…what are you doing?”

 

“Listen to me, okay?”

 

“What is it?”

 

Yongwa hands began to tremble. He looked deeply into her eyes.

 

“Seohyun…I know why you’re like this…”

 

“Huh? Like what?”

 

“I know why you changed…”

 

“Yong…please…let’s not do this…”

 

She turned but Yong took her hand.

 

“Hyun…please…wait…hear me out…”

 

Seohyun tried to keep her composure.

 

“Yong…please…I can’t…”

 

“But…you have to…Hyun…I’m sorry…”

 

Seohyun knew where this was going and she fought her tears back. She closed her eyes and tears slowly began to roll down.

 

“I’m so…sorry…for everything I have done to you…everything in the past…how…naïve I was…I was foolish…”

 

Seohyun began to sob.

 

“Yong…no…it…hurts…”

 

“I know…I’m hurting too…I started to hurt when I wasted my opportunity to be with someone…who cared for me…it took me a long time to realize…that’s why…I’m here…for…you…”

 

“Yong…I don’t know…I don’t if I could go through it anymore…”

 

“You won’t have to…you won’t have to hurt anymore, Hyun…because…I love you…”

 

Yongwa dug into his pocket and slowly brought out a small blue box. Seohyun covered and began to cry.

 

“Yong…no…”

 

“Seo Joo Hyun…my Hyun…will you…marry me?”

 

He opened the box and diamond ring glimmered through the night. Seohyun wiped her tears and stared at the ring. Ever since she was a child, she imagined what her wedding would be like. While in SNSD, she dreamed about who her husband and true lover would be. She looked up to Yongwa. Yongwa began to tear up.

 

“Hyun…I never stopped loving you…”

 

Kyuhyun turned the corner and saw Yongwa and Seohyun. Then, he saw Yongwa get on his knee. He saw Seohyun cover and cry. Kyuhyun suddenly felt his heart drop. He turned quickly and hid behind the wall. He gripped his chest and began to tear up.

 

“Seohyun…please…no…”

 

The images of Seohyun in Tokyo and how they shared their joyous nights together running around the city started to flood his mind. The way she looked at him when the train doors closed. Kyuhyun saw love in Tokyo and wanted that feeling again. But, it finally hit him.

 

“It was all a memory…it was never meant to be…what was I thinking?”

 

Kyuhyun looked around the corner and saw that they vanished. Kyuhyun wiped his tears and slowly walked back to his room. It was supposed to be a memorable, exciting night but it turned to the biggest heartbreak he felt in years.

 

 

After a long three months of touring, the group finally returned to Seoul where they were off for a whole week to recuperate. Taeyeon quickly vanished and returned to her hometown. The rest of the crew went their separate ways. Seohyun continued to work with her other side projects and other smaller talents. Kyuhyun returned home and relaxed. Seohyun and Kyuhyun did not speak after Bali.

 

Kyuhyun woke up the following morning after arriving and stared up at his ceiling. After moving out of his old family home into his penthouse, he felt a lot less happy. He was definitely comfortable and he could afford so much but he simply didn’t feel the same happiness when he was with his parents. He rolled over and got off his luxurious king bed and opened the curtains. The views of downtown Seoul and the Han River were breathtaking. He scratched his head and yawned.

 

“I should go for a walk…”

 

He washed his face and quickly got his fitness clothes on. The morning was crisp and clean and simply needed to enjoy the sun. After enduring a strenuous schedule for the past couple of months, he needed the time alone. He put his Ipod on and walked down the neighborhood towards the river walk. He could feel the winter air slowly creeping up on him.

 

“It’s gotten chilly…”

 

After traveling so much, he forgot about the seasons in Seoul and that the fall was slowly approaching. He began to imagine what type of clothing he needed. He reached the shiny river and walked about to the railing. He smiled and smelled the air. Suddenly, he remembered the ring in Yongwa’s hands and Seohyun’s expression. Kyuhyun sighed to himself.

 

“I wonder…did she say yes?”

 

He began to walk with his hand in his pockets. There were other people walking and running by and it felt like he was invisible. He felt like after being in love so many times and having his heart broken, it brought a sense of isolation on him.

 

“Why me?”

 

He suddenly felt the urge to write again.

 

“I need to write…and…sing…”

 

He decided that the best place to relax would be over at the SM recording room. It was quiet and it shouldn’t be too busy since the rest of the crew was resting. He dashed back home to get changed.

 

Seohyun couldn’t focus properly at work. The building was deserted and she felt like the only person actually trying. She stared at her empty computer screen and yawned.

 

“I need a soda…”

 

She decided to head to the 2ndfloor break room because it had the best snacks in the whole building. She left her office and walked through the empty halls. She entered the elevator and waited. She began to remember Yongwa’s proposal.

 

“Marry me…”

 

Seohyun felt a chill down her spine. She dug into her pocket and pulled out the diamond ring box. She remembered her response.

 

“I will give you my answer in a week…I need to…resolve things…”

 

The elevator hit the 2ndfloor and Seohyun went straight to the vending machines. She purchased a Sprite and took a seat. She quietly sipped the citrus beverage and closed her eyes. She remembered the 2ndfloor when she used to be a trainee for SM. They were always crowded especially with her 9-person girl group, the hallway was a madhouse. She slowly got up and looked down the hallway. Suddenly, she noticed the recording room was being used. She hurried down the hall and peeked through. It was Kyuhyun. She sighed and slowly entered.

 

“What is he doing here?”

 

When she entered, the room was cool and Kyuhyun was in the sound room shuffling through papers. Seohyun spoke up.

 

“Kyuhyun…you should be at home resting…what are you doing here?”

 

Kyuhyun looked up and was surprised. He spoke into the microphone.

 

“Seohyun…I’m just here to record something new…I wrote some new lyrics…just needed to get some things off my mind…”

 

“Kyuhyun…I’m sorry…but…you need to leave…it was okay the first time but…you have to be scheduled for these rooms…plus…a boy band will be using it in an hour…”

 

“Seohyun…just…a minute…”

 

Seohyun quickly grew irritated.

 

“Kyuhyun…when we’re in the office…its business…no playing around…I mean it…”

 

“Seohyun? Please…let me record something…”

 

The both of them stared at each with annoyance.

 

“No…Kyuhyun…you need to leave…”

 

Kyuhyun removed his headphones and walked out the room. He confronted Seohyun.

 

“Boss…Manager…Ms.Agent…I don’t care anymore…Seohyun…what happened between us?”

 

“Us? Kyuhyun…I can’t talk about that here…”

 

“We were having fun before…but now…you changed…is it because of Yongwa?”

 

“Excuse me? Yongwa? What does that mean?”

 

“Since you guys are getting married and everything…you don’t need to be a talent agent anymore…you will be living the high life now…”

 

Seohyun grew angry.

 

“Kyuhyun, you watch yourself! Yongwa loves me… “

 

“But…do you love him?”

 

Seohyun froze and stared at Kyuhyun.

 

“Do you love him?”

 

Seohyun turned away.

 

“What happened to us, Seohyun? What happened to that fun spirit we had from Tokyo? Ever since I returned to Seoul and we ran into each other…it has been nothing but awkwardness…I mean…we never actually did anything bad…we became friends…maybe even closer than friends…I don’t know but what I do know is that…you changed…why?”

 

Seohyun took a deep breath and turned around.

 

“Kyuhyun…I never changed…I just went home…”

 

“So who did I meet in Tokyo then?”

 

Seohyun looked down and frowned.

 

“Someone…trying to escape…trying to escape her reality…I just…couldn’t…”

 

“Her reality…this? This is reality?! No…I don’t believe it…”

 

Seohyun slowly began to tear up.

 

“It will never work out…Kyuhyun…between us…never…just let…those memories rest…”

 

“I won’t let them rest…”

 

Seohyun was shocked by his response and looked up. Kyuhyun took her hand and pulled her over to embrace her. They both hugged tightly. Kyuhyun began to tear up.

 

“You might have been trying to escape reality in Tokyo but…what we had…been the closest to reality I had ever been…I want to experience it all over again…please…”

 

“Oh Kyuhyun…please…don’t ask for something that’s impossible…please…don’t…”

 

He slowly held her in front of him. He peered into her beautiful crying eyes and remembered their sweet moments together.

 

“I don’t ever want to forget what we had…it would be impossible…”

 

Kyuhyun leaned over and kissed her. Seohyun was shocked but slowly closed her eyes. They shared a passionate kiss which they both knew was long overdue. The sparks began to fly between them. Suddenly, Seohyun opened her eyes and eased back. Kyuhyun was surprised.

 

“Seohyun? Wait…”

 

Seohyun wiped her tears.

 

“Kyuhyun…we can’t do this…it…it won’t work!”

 

Seohyun turned quickly and dashed through the door. Right when she opened it, Taeyeon was standing outside with some coffee.

 

“Seo-baby?”

 

“Unnie…I’m sorry…”

 

Seohyun cried as she dashed down the hall. Taeyeon looked inside and found Kyuhyun staring at the table.

 

“Kyuhyun, are you okay? What happened with you two?”

 

“Taeyeon…I love her…”

 

“Seohyun?”

 

Kyuhyun got up and left the room. Taeyeon realized what had happened and shook her head.

 

“Seo-baby…no…”

 

Seohyun sat in the far back of the city bus. She wore her sunglasses to conceal her pouting eyes. The bus was eerily empty but it gave a sense of privacy to Seohyun. She sniffed her stuffy nose and leaned her head against the window. She was slowly trying to understand what happened to her earlier.

 

“Kyuhyun…why…why now…”

 

She slowly began to sob. A little girl noticed her crying and left her mom to sit next to Seohyun.

 

“Ji Hyun…come back here!”

 

“Wait, Mommy…”

 

The little girl sat beside Seohyun and whispered.

 

“Unnie…are you okay?”

 

Seohyun wiped her tears and responded.

 

“I’m fine…don’t worry…just return to your mommy…Unnie can handle it…”

 

“Unnie…why are you crying?”

 

Seohyun thought hard about why she was crying. She responded.

 

“Unnie’s heart just hurts…that’s all…”

 

“Ok Unnie…get well soon…”

 

The little girl returned to her mother and Seohyun turned back to the window. She realized the pain she was trying to avoid had returned.

 

“I hate being in love…”

 

Seohyun remembered the kiss she shared with Kyuhyun. She touched her lips.

 

“He kissed me…”

 

Seohyun decided that it was time to set things straight at work. The bus finally returned to the SM building and Seohyun slowly got off. It was already night so she returned to her car and drove home. Seohyun couldn’t sleep that night.

 

The Following Day

 

Kyuhyun stood eagerly outside the Chairman office. He did not know what to expect. The previous night, he received a text from Seohyun telling him to report to the Chairman’s office in the morning. His palms were moist. Suddenly, Seohyun appeared down the hallway carrying a box.

 

“Seohyun? What are you doing?”

 

“Kyuhyun…just follow me…please…”

 

“Seohyun, what is going on? Why are you carrying that box?”

 

He noticed it had all her papers, books, pictures, and other things from her office. She ignored him and knocked the door. The Chairman responded.

 

“Enter.”

 

Kyuhyun opened the door and she entered first. Kyuhyun closed the door behind him. The Chairman spoke up.

 

“I heard what had happened…please…sit…the both of you…”

 

They both sat and Kyuhyun responded.

 

“I don’t understand, sir…what is going on?”

 

“Foolish man…are you playing as a fool? I am the eyes and ears of this industry…you don’t I think I’m blind to what’s going on beneath me?”

 

“Sir…I didn’t mean to…”

 

Seohyun interrupted.

 

“Kyuhyun…I’m resigning…”

 

“RESIGNING?! Wait…”

 

“I told the Chairman already…I can’t have you as my client…anymore…”

 

The Chairman interjected.

 

“Fraternization is not tolerated here…”

 

“Sir, please forgive me…it was my fault…don’t punish her…punish me!”

 

“We did the calculations and well…losing you would be awful for our company right now since you are a major asset here and along with Taeyeon…you are returning our former glory…”

 

Kyuhyun turned and saw Seohyun slowly tearing up.

 

“An asset? Seohyun has busted herself to death working for you…she entered into this company as a child…she grew up here…she sacrificed…and because of a…mistake like this…it’s all over? You can’t do that!”

 

“Seohyun has been incredible…but…we’re in a tight bind…if the media catches wind of this…and if we fire you…we will be ruined in the eyes of the public…I won’t let that happen…Seohyun has already been informed…she knows the consequences of unprofessional conduct…”

 

Seohyun slowly nodded. Kyuhyun could feel his heart drop.

 

“Chairman…please…don’t do this…”

 

Seohyun spoke up.

 

“Don’t fight for me, Kyuhyun…I know my punishment…it was all…a big…mistake…”

 

Seohyun turned and exited out the room. Kyuhyun turned to the Chairman.

 

“Sir…please…”

 

“Rules…are rules…”

 

“But…I love her…”

 

Kyuhyun turned and chased down Seohyun. He dashed towards the elevator where Seohyun was. It closed before he could make it. He turned to the stairs and quickly climbed down. He burst through the door and ran outside. Seohyun was walking towards Yongwa’s sports car.

 

“Seohyun! Wait!”

 

Yongwa got out of his car and stood in front. Seohyun handed him the box and gripped the door handle. Kyuhyun caught up to her.

 

“Seohyun…please…don’t leave…I’m sorry…it was my fault-“

 

SMACK!

 

Yongwa struck Kyuhyun down to the icy ground with the box. Yongwa shouted.

 

“YOU BASTARD! GET AWAY FROM HER!”

 

Kyuhyun slowly sat up and rubbed his face. He stared up at Seohyun. Seohyun began to cry and quickly boarded Yongwa’s car. Yongwa placed the box inside and got behind the wheel. Kyuhyun slowly stood up as the car drove off through the city.

 

“Seohyun…”

 

 The air got cooler and Kyuhyun suddenly turned cold. He couldn’t forget Seohyun’s sad eyes staring at him. He couldn’t tell if there was any love for him left in her. He began to shiver as he stared down the street. He suddenly felt pain and loneliness return to him. It felt all too familiar.

 

“Forgive me…but…I love you, Seohyun…”

 

End of Chapter 8

 

Has the drama ruined SeoKyu’s chance for love? Will Seohyun offer her hand in marriage to Yongwa? What will Kyuhyun do? Was Tokyo only a memory? Please stay tuned!