Branching Off

Snowflake

20 minutes and 4 Sehun complaints later, the couple had almost finished their snowman. All they needed to do now was add the features. Luhan dug into his pocket and found some loose change, which he stuck onto the snowman for his eyes. The coins were different, but Luhan thought he looked cuter like that. Sehun scanned the field, trying to find a material for the snowman’s arms. A tall tree alone in the corner got caught in his radar and he headed for it. One of the branches had collapsed under the weight of the snow it carried. The branch was still attached by the tree’s skin, hanging onto it for dear life. It was bare, dead and useless to the tree but perfect for arms. Sehun stood under the branch and looked up. The branch hadn’t yet reached the ground, but it was going to at some point. Sehun thought silently for a moment, trying to conclude if he should break it off the tree or just break what he wanted. He turned back to Luhan, who was trying to make the snowman a top hat out of snow, unaware of Sehun’s whereabouts.

“Hyung!” Sehun called out. Luhan’s head snapped up in fright and turned in circles, trying to find him. Sehun smiled as his little deer spun around on the spot, getting faster and faster in panic at not spotting him. Sehun waved his arms above his head and called out again. This caught Luhan’s attention and he sighed in relief. Sehun told him to come over and Luhan bounded over reluctantly.

“What is it?” Luhan asked curiously and Sehun pointed upwards to the branch above them.

“I can’t reach it hyung,” Sehun said in disappointment. “Will you get it for me please?”.

Luhan rolled his eyes in frustration. “You are joking, right?” Sehun shook his head and continued to look at the branch.

“You’re doing this to wind me up, aren’t you?” Luhan questioned him. Sehun shook his head again, but the corners of his mouth started to curl upwards.

Luhan knew. “This is you having a go at me for being short, isn’t it?” he burst out, accusingly. “Isn’t it!?”.

Sehun beamed. “I only wanted to know if you could reach it,” he said innocently. He turned to Luhan and chuckled at the look of disbelief he was given. Sehun pinched the top of Luhan’s shoulder and Luhan squirmed. Luhan shook him off and drew his attention back to the branch.  

“Why do want it anyway?”

“I thought we could use the ends for arms.”

Luhan nodded in approval. The sticks that grew out from the branch had ends that spread out like fingers. Like Sehun, Luhan wasn’t sure if the branch would stay if they played around with it. Luhan reached up and tried to reach the branch above him. Sehun was right; Luhan was short but was about half a meter from touching it. If Luhan tried jumping for it, he would pull the branch down even more. Luhan sighed and looked at Sehun, who was biting his bottom lip, deep in thought.  Sehun turned to Luhan, releasing his lip and shrugging his shoulders. Luhan looked at the top of Sehun’s head and then to the branch, trying to judge the distance in between. Then it came to him. Luhan positioned himself under the branch and bent his knees a little.

“Get on.”

“What?”

Sehun took a step back to see if he could understand what Luhan was doing. Luhan looked like he was about to dive into a swimming pool; knees bent, head down and arms pulled back. Sehun shook his head in dismay, but Luhan waited. He stood up when it was clear that Sehun wasn’t going to obey him.

“Stubborn maknae.” Luhan said, scowling.

Sehun giggled. “You would never be able to lift me hyung.”. Luhan thought for a moment. Sure, Sehun was younger than him but Sehun was a lot taller which meant he could be a little heavy.

“Plus,” Sehun added. “You’re too short”. Luhan lunged and gave Sehun’s arm a small pinch for his cheekiness. Sehun retreated and rubbed where Luhan pinched him, pouting and pretending to be hurt. Luhan tutted and rolled his eyes at Sehun’s agyeo attempt.

“So how are we going to get it?” Luhan questioned, completely lost of ideas. Sehun shrugged again and began chewing his lip. Luhan gently hit his arm and Sehun looked shocked.

“Stop chewing your lip,” Luhan told him, full of authority. “You’ll make them sore.” Sehun stopped and pressed his lips together instead.

“Did you bring any balm?”

Sehun shook his head. He was still absorbed in coming up with a plan to getting the arms. Luhan wandered through his pockets until he found his trust strawberry chap stick. He held it out to Sehun, who gave it a look of disgust.

“Put it on.”

Sehun scrunched up his face and shook his head furiously. “I hate fruit balm.” Liar. Sehun adored the taste of strawberries on Luhan’s lips; he just didn’t fancy wearing it.

 Luhan raised his eyebrows at Sehun’s comment. “Do you want me to put it on for you?” he said in a serious tone. He was not going to kiss Sehun if his lips were all chapped and scabby. Sehun shrunk into his coat, knowing that he was going to have to wear it, no matter what he said. Luhan stepped forwards untwisting the stick as Sehun buried himself into his coat.

“Say ‘ah’!” Luhan commanded, opening his mouth to show Sehun what to do. Sehun lifted his chin out his coat, but kept his lips pressed together. Luhan squeezed Sehun’s cheeks together between his hand, so that Sehun’s open and did an impression of a fish. Luhan smiled at Sehun’s face and began roughly spreading the balm on Sehun’s young lips.  Sehun scowled at Luhan’s concentration face as he carefully applied an even amount all over. Luhan stepped back, grinning as he admired his skill. Sehun smoothed the balm with his lips, still scowling at Luhan.

“Better?” He asked sarcastically. Luhan nodded and gave Sehun a peck on the lips.

“Much better.”

Sehun smiled and then said. “Hyung, get on my back.” Luhan stopped grinning and froze. What?

Sehun explained. “If I give you a piggy-back, do you think you would be able to break off a couple of ends from the branch?”. Luhan relaxed a little.

“Sure,” he agreed. “But I’m heavy, so if it’s too much just put me down.”

Sehun blinked at him. “What are you on about?”.  Luhan began to answer, but Sehun shook his head. “Just get on.”

Luhan skipped over and put his hands on Sehun’s shoulders. Sehun bent his knees and tried to feel for Luhan behind him. He found the back of Luhan’s thighs and squeezed them gently. Luhan shuffled closer until Sehun could feel him against his back. Sehun began to feel hotter with Luhan’s body so close to his and his throat went dry.

“Ready?” Sehun choked out.

“Yep.”

“Ok, 1, 2, 3!”. Luhan leaped as Sehun stood up, and wrapped his legs around Sehun’s waist. Luhan squealed and locked himself on Sehun. Sehun steadied himself and bounced Luhan so that he was on more comfortably. Luhan squealed again as he slid forward and pressed himself to Sehun, scared that he was going to fall. Sehun chuckled and looked up to the branch.

“Lu, get that one!” cried Sehun, his eyes focused on the perfect pair of snowman arms above his head. “Reach up and break it off, hyung.”. Luhan didn’t respond. He latched his arms around Sehun and he squeezed his eyes shut.

“Hyung?”

“It’s too high!”

Sehun sighed, “Lu. Look up.”

Luhan opened an eye and peered up. The branch was only a few centimetres away from his head. If Sehun was to jump, then Luhan would wake up with a bruise and nasty headache. Luhan blinked and slowly began to release his arms. Luhan didn’t want to let go straight away; he thought Sehun would get surprised and drop him if he did. His hands cautiously climbed up Sehun’s neck until they settled in his hair. Luhan then took hold of the branch with his right hand and gripped it, using all his might.

“Which one?” Luhan squeaked.

Sehun smiled. “The one closest to your hand. Your left hand.” Luhan now had hold of the branch with both hands and was beginning to break of the ends. The ends were easy to break off and Sehun listened as Luhan snapped off a couple of ends. Luhan let go of the branch and attached himself to Sehun like a magnet.

“Is that alright?” Luhan asked as Sehun spun round to look at the ends on the ground. Sehun nodded and moved away from the branch. Luhan was still riding Sehun as could feel Sehun’s arms weaken.

“I’m too heavy, aren’t it?”

“Of course not!”. It was true. Luhan weighed as much as a child. He was by far the lightest person Sehun had carried before, beating Kai and Tao by miles. 

Luhan grinned and kissed Sehun’s cheek gratefully. “Awww, aren’t you sweet!”. Sehun cringed and slowly lowered to the ground and Luhan slid off his back gracefully. Luhan collected the branch ends and took hold of Sehun’s hand.

“Let’s go finish our snowman!” Luhan said cheerfully and they walked back to the snowman, who stood watching the couple.