castle

Curse of the phoenix

 

“We were sent to retrieve the crowned prince.” The three dark knights kneeled before me, their faces covered behind the heavy metal masks. I’ve always wondered what they hid behind their armour.

 

I sat up from the boulder where I was sleeping on and sighed.

 

She didn’t come…again.

 

3 full moons passed and she has yet to appear. My chest ached. I slapped the skin above my heart, the sting distracting me from the feeling of regret. I shouldn’t have walked out that door. Was there really any other option? No. I couldn’t bear seeing her tear apart. And it was all because of me.

 

But what could have I done differently? She won’t leave her father, and I respect that. I didn’t push her any further because I knew; I knew that she would never leave with me. I couldn’t bear watch her break any further. Staying would expose her to more danger. It was lucky enough that she survived the first wipe-out. What if the guards somehow traced my steps and found out that I was hiding in that little cabin. I will not put her at risk. I just can’t.

 

Running a hands through my hair, I grabbed the robe handed to me by one of the guards and put it on. The guards stood on their feet as I walk passed them, bowing before following behind me.

 

“Prince…” The butlers whispered as I entered the threshold of my father’s castle. “Would you like to eat, prince? A bath?” One of them bowed as I walked past him.

 

“No. Leave me be.” I frowned and continued to walk up the staircase and into my bedroom chamber.

 

My knees buckled and I flopped onto the floor as soon as I closed and locked the door behind me. I feel exhausted. Transformation is exhausting. I wish I was normal. Then maybe, things could’ve been different.

 

I rubbed my face and closed my eyes. Lia… every single time my lids shut, the only image I see in my mind is of her. I didn’t know why I told her I love her, I didn’t even think. But it felt right. No phrase could describe my feelings better. I love her.

 

I will protect her. No matter what it takes, I will protect her.

 

Suddenly, there was a knocking at the door.

 

“Sire, His majesty, the king is here to see you.” With a sigh, I opened the door to my room. The butler bowed, and let my father enter my room.

 

“Father.” I bowed

 

“Son, I am so glad your fine!” He cheered, cupping my cheeks. “You seem gaunt. Peter, prepare a meal for my son.” He ordered the man standing by my bedroom door.

 

“Yes, your majesty” He bowed once, and left us to our privacy.

 

“I am not hungry father.” I rolled my eyes, and he slapped me. Oops, I forgot.

 

“Behave!” He screamed before patting my face and kissed my cheek, leaving out the door with a smile. That’s my dad. He’s always been so mercurial. He always gets physical when his temper gets the best of him. Then a second later, he would come back to his prior mood. Oh, father. If only mother were still alive. Things would be so different.

 

After dressing up, I decided to walk to the dining room, knowing that father would be upset if I didn’t eat the food which he had requested for me. Down the steps I went, the housekeepers kneeling as I went passed. Irritating.

 

I just entered the great hall when I heard a sudden high pitched scream come out through one of the large doors which, making my skin crawl. I glanced at it. The throne room. Someone’s going to die again. I sighed, the uncomfortable knot in my stomach made me feel like throwing up. I hate this place.

 

I was going to leave it be and walk out of the great hall, when I heard the same man scream out “Lia!!”

 

Lia? They found Lia?! My heart skipped several beats and I felt like I had just died a thousand deaths. No. Impossible, No!

 

I ran back towards the large oak wood door and opened it. My eyes were wide as saucers as I stare at the limp figure lying lifeless and blood splattered on the floor.

 

“Son! Here you are! Eating lunch? I’ll come join you- Clean up this mess.” Father calmly stepped down from his throne and turned to bark at one of his butlers before walking to the still-shaking me.

 

“Let’s eat son!”

 

***

 

Author's note:

Short chapter!!! kekekekeke so... how'd you like the story so far?