Chapter 4

After All This Time

 

 

 

Your POV

 

For the rest of the day, I was alone at the meat shop to watch over the store. My mother and that boy, Yifan, went out to process some documents about the adoption thingy at the city hall. Good thing it was not that busy in the shop—the advantage of Sunday. Jiayo!

 

I took off my apron and hang it by the door knob. I had exhausted myself after putting all the newly delivered meats inside the refrigerator—my arms and shoulders hurts. I slumped on the stool and let my back lean the cold wall. I vaguely grabbed the remote and pressed the button to turn on the TV.

 

Variety show is currently playing and I had to laugh because the game is so funny; the hosts are pretty hilarious too.

 

My laughter went down when I heard the telephone ringing. I lazily got up and then went to pick up the call.

 

“Hello, good afternoon. This is Jongin Meat Shop, how can I help you?” I toned like a hotel receptionist.

 

“Jaein-ah, this is me.” I heard a familiar voice spoke back.

 

Eomma?” I grinned and playfully cleared my throat. “Yes, how can I help you? We offer twenty-percent discount to the family members. Would you like to avail our products?”

 

I heard my mother giggle at the other line. “Silly, Jaein! Is it busy in there? If you think there are no customers coming in now, please close the shop.”

 

I frowned. “Why? Where are you? Are you going home late?”

 

“Maybe? I’m in Seoul right now.”

 

“Mwo?! How did you get there? I thought you’ll do the processing without leaving the province?”

 

She sighed, “It should be. An official brought us here to the capital because there are some missing documents of Yifan from his previous schools. I’ll just pass by your brother’s dorm and we’ll go home after. Don’t worry; we’ll be home before midnight. I’ll bring you some rice cakes too, mian.”

 

A disgusted expression appeared my face. “Oh, okay. Take care, eomma.

 

“You can cook a ramen for dinner. You can also use the reserved meat from the fridge.”

 

“Neh~”

 

“Don’t forget to lock the shop before you leave. Don’t leave the keys anywhere.”

 

I groaned. “Mom, I know. You don’t have to remind me.”

 

“Well, then, I will be hanging up. Take care of yourself there too, bye.”

 

“Bye-bye,” and then she hanged up. I gently placed the telephone down and then sighed. I glanced at my wristwatch, and with an encouraging breath, I went to off the appliances.

 

-

 

Yifan’s POV

 

Mrs. Chung and I finally got home that night. Riding different kinds of vehicles is really exhausting. And I can’t believe I went to Seoul twice this day.

 

When we got inside the house, the place is already quiet. Well, it’s already eleven in the evening. Mrs. Chung went to Jaein’s bedroom and saw her daughter already sleeping. With a smile, she gently closed the door of her room.

 

She turned around and looked at me. Mrs. Chung gave me the paper bags and said, “So tomorrow, you’ll start attending classes.” She placed a hand on my shoulder. “I never thought you’re the same age with Jaein. I think you’ll be in the same class with her!” she beamed.

 

I lightly pursed my lips at her statement. “Mrs. Chung-”

 

“Yifan,” she cut me off. “Call me auntie from now on. I seriously don’t like formalities, okay?” she tapped my shoulder.

 

“Neh, auntie.” I said shyly. Auntie Shinjae smiled widely. Throughout this day, I’m already attached to her. She was kind of similar to my mother, they were both so caring, making me to conclude they were really close friends.

 

Auntie Shinjae opened the door to my room, turns on the lights and led me in. Without any hesitations, I went inside. I turned around and looked at her standing by the doorway. “Good night, Yifan. Have a pleasant sleep.”

 

I bowed my head in gratitude. “Thank you so much, auntie. Thank you for the help.”

 

The lady smiled at me. “It’s the least I could do, dear. Please take a rest. I know you were really tired.”

 

I nodded my head, “Neh, auntie. Good night.”

 

Auntie smiled at me one last time and closed the door.

 

Sighing, I gently placed the paper bags beside the bed. I sat down the bed and opened my luggage. I took out the photo frame of my mother and placed it neatly on the side table. The current photos displayed beside the lampshade caught my attention.

 

I took the object and stared at it. It was a photo of Jaein with an older guy hugging her from behind. There was a caption at the bottom part written in a pen that says, ‘Me and my younger sister Jaein! The cutest girl in the world ^^’

 

A small smile escaped my lips as I put back the item on the table. He must be Jaein’s brother, the one who formerly owns this room. He must be that guy whom Auntie Shinjae visited at Seoul earlier. With one last glance, I went back on my luggage.

 

I took out my drawing book, paper tubes, my painting kit and my coloring materials. I stood up and placed them on the isolated desk. I haven’t drawn something for a while now. Maybe when I have a time, I can go back to painting again.

 

After I finished fixing my things, I took out a clean towel from the drawers and decided to go to the bathroom to freshen up. I remembered what Jaein told me: the bathroom is located before the backdoor, which is next to her room.

 

I got out from my room and walked left. Jaein’s room is next to mine, so the following room will be the bathroom. I walked the little hallway and when I saw the backdoor, I finally found the lavatory.

 

 

I took a warm bath and let the heat steam up from the tiled floor, letting the water splatter down to my head. I leaned my hands unto the wall and closed my eyes.

 

Now that I am here, what awaits me in the future? All along, I knew my mother will leave soon when I found out that there’s no cure to her sickness. But I haven’t prepared myself for such thing. I haven’t prepared myself for her departure. All my life, I always depend on my mother. She was the only person I trust.

 

I turned off the boiler and then the shower’s faucet. After getting myself dry, I put on my clothes and went back to my new bedroom.

 

I flicked on the lampshade and slumped down the bed. I stared at the ceiling, and pondered.

 

But now that my mother is not here anymore, how will my life go on? What kind of fate lies ahead of me? I can’t trust people easily, and I’m not good in socializing.

 

What kind of adventure awaits me here? Is it something good? Or maybe coming here is a wrong decision in the first place…