What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Someday~

"Wait, you 3 are auditioning for music?"

Lee Taemin, Lee Jinki, and Choi Minho nodded in reply.  Lee Jiayi puffed her face up in frustration and scratched her hair.

"Is it really what you want to do, Taeminnie?  You have no backup plan?" Jia asked her older stepbrother.

Taemin beamed at her.  "Yeah!  I'm super confident that I can try my best into dancing!  It's the only major I'm interested in once I get to college."

Jia turned to her crush, Jinki.  She tried her best not to faint in front of him, since he now considers her as one of his friends he's comfortable with.  "What about you?  Why music?"

Jinki smiled at her, making her heart flutter in return.  "Actually, music has always been my passion.  People tell me I have a nice voice, so I'm just gonna go for it and audition for S.M. Academy's Entertainment Casting Program." he replied.

"Really?  What are you into exactly in music?"  Jia asked curiously.

"Operas and musicals."

The 3 younger students stopped walking from school to home and stared at the eldest one.  He gave them a look.  "What?" he asked wearily. 

Really? =.="" You mention operas and musicals, Lee Jinki?  The two boys shook their heads.

"Hyung, from what I've recalled, you kissed a guy once during middle school,"  Minho commented.

Jinki was about to protest, but Jia beat him to it.  "Minho, that was only because it was part of the musical he was in during middle school."  Jinki stared at her in disbelief.  How does she know that?

Taemin butted in, saying, "Yeah, Onew hyung, during high school I heard you practically smothered a guy on the lips in the middle of a rock concert."

"Aish, Taeminnie~!  That was part of a musical, too!  Rock genre!"  Jia retorted angrily and stomped her way home.

Jinki stared at Jia's back, blinking at what she just said.  How does she know all my musicals?  Has she seen me perform before?

Minho sighed and turned to Jinki and Taemin.  "Onew hyung, Minnie, I'll bring Jia home later.  I think she just needs to cool down."

Taemin nodded.  "Make sure you take care of my dongsaeng, okay?"  Minho nodded and jogged after Jia's retreating figure.  After a few minutes, Jinki and Taemin could see Minho dragging her somewhere.

Jinki turned to Taemin.  "Hey, Taemin-ah?"

Taemin looked up from where he was watching his stepsister.  "Yeah, hyung?"

"Has Jiayi ever seen me in musicals before or even at a performance?"

By the look on Taemin's face, Jinki could tell something was up.  He patted the boy on the back.  "You know, you can always tell me anything.  I won't judge."  I'm just curious as to why she knows my musicals when I've never brought it up before in conversation to others.

Taemin gulped and nervously looked around, twiddling his fingers in their own dance.  "Actually, my dongsaeng likes to...erm, follow you around at school sometimes."  Jinki's eyes widened but urged Taemin to continue.  "Jia researched everything there is to know about you since she got here and met you at Incheon University.  She never went to your musicals and it's impossible for her to do so in the past, considering she's from Singapore."

Jinki blinked and quickly caught up with Taemin, who was somehow walking fast to his house.  "Wait, what do you mean she's from Singapore?  Aren't you from here?  How is she - "

"She's my stepsister,"  Taemin answered, "I treat her like a real sister, but in general her mom married my dad and we just clicked as a family....except for Taesun hyung.  He hates her, so he moved back with my mom in another country."  Wow, I never knew how intense this subject was for him.  Come to think of it, they never mention that they're stepsiblings much....

Meanwhile, Jia walked with Minho to wherever he works at, since she was so curious what he works in the evenings as.  But right now, what was on her mind was this:

"Minho, why are you auditioning also?  You don't seem like the type to audition for music."  she bluntly stated.

Minho looked down at her and chuckled lightly, looking back at the street pavement.  "I'm just doing it for the heck of it.  They want people auditioning, so why not?  Besides, if I'm bad, the people in charge of the program can fill me in on projecting details for my film progression in college.  i'm majoring in film, remember?"

Jia nodded and continued to look down at the ground as they walked side by side.  "What's your alternate career, if not film?"

Minho smiled brightly as he thought of what she asked him.  "I'm solely dedicated to soccer, so if filming and music doesn't cut out for me, I can always become a soccer player.  My father's a sports coach." he answered her.  He continued to look down at her.  "What do you wanna be?"

Jia could only blink and think carefully.  It took her a few minutes to answer him.  "Either running a bakery or becoming a wedding planner.  I'm undecided, really."  she faked a reassuring smile and dropped the subject, thus making an awkward silence between them.

The tall boy then thought of something to make the small girl beside him happy.  I GOT IT!  He snapped his fingers and looked at Jia, trying to form a straight line across his lips.  "You know," he spoke in a nonchalant tone, "Onew hyung wants to become an MC for an alternate occupation.  That's why he's in entertainment broadcasting for a major."

Perfect success.  Minho smiled once he saw Jia grin with joy written all over her face.  Now all I need to do is buy chicken.

------------------

Jia skeptically scanned the area around her and checked her watch.  9:04p.m.  Her brother, Taemin, will kill her.

"Choi Minho, this is where you work?"

Minho looked back at her.  He changed his image to suit the style of the dance club, VNT.  "Yeah, I work as a DJ.  Why?"

Jia puffed up her cheeks and glared at the level of alcohol being given to the customers.  "Well you should've warned a girl beforehand,"  she stated and sat nearby him at a booth as Minho started to work, all the while smiling at her silliness.

The high school girl continued to look around and look uninteresting for people to not notice her.  Unfortunately to her dismay, she was spotted by a group of boys.  The tall, tanned muscular man walked towards Jia with a playful smirk on his face.

"Hey, cutie.  Name's Taecyon." he greeted her.  Jia rolled her eyes and scoffed, earning snickers from the rest of his friends. 

Taecyon glared at his men and they quit laughing, cowering behind him.  He shifted his attention back to Jia, who is completely immersed in Minho's DJ skills.  Comparing Minho to this monkey standing near me, I think Minho's alright....

Not feeling amused, Taecyon slowly crept near her and cupped her face with his hand.  She tried jerking away, but failed to do so as his hold on her became a little bit too strong.

"Aww~ not satisfied with me, babe?  What if I did this...." then trailed off as he came closer to claim Jia's lips.  Her eyes widened in fear and shut them real tight, trying to get away from his strong hold.  "Mmm...!  Lemm mo ofm me...!"  she tried to murmur out, since his hand was shutting her jaw from opening.

"Let her go."

Taecyon and Jia looked up at the person standing in front of them.  Taecyon scowled at the person while Jia looked to him in awe.  That's the same guy.....

The guy glared at Taecyon.  "Let her go, man.  She's with me." he demanded in a low tone.

Taecyon continued to scowl but backed off immediately.  "Whatever, Jonghyun.  Come on, let's get out of here," he called to his men and left before a fight would break out.

Jonghyun?  You mean Kim Jonghyun as in Key's ex boyfriend?  Jia's jaw dropped in shock and horror as she continued to stare at her savior, who's glaring at Taecyon's back.

As soon as he left, Jonghyun let out a sigh of relief and turned to the girl he saved.  "Hey are you al - eh?  You're the girl..." Who was in the car that I helped start.....wow, small world.

They both blinked at each other, then laughed off the awkward tension between them.  Jonghyun stuck his hand out.  "Hello, I believe we've met, but haven't introduced each other.  I'm Kim Jonghyun, another DJ in this club.  You?" he introduced himself.

Jia smiled and shook his hand cheerfully.  "Lee Jiayi, but you can call me Jia for short," she pointed at Minho working at the moment.  "Choi Minho over there dragged me here to show me where he works at night because I got curious."

"Ah,"  Jonghyun uttered and glanced at a busy Minho.  "That would explain why a little girl like yourself would be in a place for college people."

Jia gave a look of disbelief at him.  "I'm in my 2nd year of college," she stated. "I'm in the same grade as Minho."

Jonghyun raised his eyebrow at her.  "How old are you?"

"In Korea, 18."  Jonghyun's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Yah, you're so young!  You're supposed to be in your last year of high school!" he exclaimed.  Jia chuckled.

"I'm originally from Singapore, but I moved here by scholarship and it was convenient for me to stay with my family and Taeminnie." she explained.  Jonghyun nodded in content, until he heard that last word.

"Taeminnie?  As in Lee Taemin?"

Jia nodded and glanced at Jonghyun's reaction.  So he really is Key's exboyfriend.... gotta admit, the diva's got nice taste.

Jonghyun chuckled out of nowhere.  "Actually, I know a Lee Taemin.  He never told me he had a sister.  But, I do know he has an older brother."

His smile faltered a bit as he noticed Jia's reaction.  Touchy subject maybe?

"Actually,"  Jia hesitated, but urged herself to continue.  "Taeminnie is my stepbrother.  His father married my mother, and Taesun never liked the arrangement.  He...um..."  Jia started stuttering until she felt something warm on her shoulder.  She looked up to see Jonghyun sitting down beside her.  Relax, you don't have to say anything else.

Wanting to change subjects immediately, Jonghyun coughed loudly and placed a smile back on his face.  "Have you had your career planned out yet?" he asked her.

Jia smiled a bit at the change of subjects and replied, "Not really, I'm still undecided.  What about you?"

Jonghyun's smile brightened more as he leaned back on the seat.  "My passion is music.  I'm thinking of auditioning for the S.M. Academy's Entertainment Casting Program so I can work on soul and R&B genres in the future.  I've always wanted to be a singer, you know?"

Jia stared at him in awe as he continued to talk.  "Just in case though, I'm saving money for future use.  I'm either working at this job or working at a cafe as a waiter.  My best friend, Key, says he'll be auditioning as well but for the dance portion."

Jia blinked and went gaping at him.  "You mean you know Key?" she questioned, although she already knew the answer to it.

Jonghyun nodded proudly.  "Yep, we've always been best friends when we were little.  Unfortunately, an incident occurred when we decided to hook up together as a couple, causing us to drift apart.  But, at least now he forgives me and we're friends now!"  he babbled out.  "Ah!  Sorry, I must've been babbling too much, considering since you know Taemin, you MUST know Key, right?"

Jia nodded.  "Yeah, Key is in his 1st year at our university...."  she puffed her cheeks up in annoyance.  "He hasn't spoken to me in a while or even irritate me like usual.  I think he's busy with his fashion industry stuff."

Jonghyun laughed heartily and looked at Jia.  "Maybe he's practicing for dance as well, that's why he's ignoring you.  Don't worry, though.  I'll tell him you said hi."  he explained.  He laughed again when he heard a "Don't," from her along with an angry pout spread across her face.

 What a girl to do?

----------------------------------------------------------

Minjoo wandered around the park, bored as hell.  Jonghyun's gone to work, now what do I do?

She looked up from the ground and spotted a lonely girl walking home.  Jia...

She checked the time on her stopwatch and her eyes widened.  10:36p.m.!  Where did she go?!

Minjoo ran up to Jia to lightly scold her, only to find her in a gloomy state.  Damn, I don't have the heart to get mad at her...

She put on a smiling facade and waved her arms in front of Jia.  "Jia~ it's Minjoo!" she shouted.  Jia quickly looked up and smiled at her new friend.  They both ran to each other and hugged.  After that, Minjoo pulled back and asked, "What's wrong, Jia?"

Jia's smile faltered a bit and looked to Minjoo for answers.  "Minjoo-yah, what's your goal for a career?"

Minjoo blinked twice and thought for a moment, before snapping her fingers and grinning.  "Ah!  There's this S.M. Academy's Entertainment Casting Program that I want to audition for....I think I have a chance to excel in contemporary music.  If that doesn't work, I'll just continue creative writing and become a novel writer/author in the future.  Why?"

"....oh."  Her, too?  Why is this S.M. thingy so popular?

Judging by her reaction, Minjoo figured what was wrong with Jia.  She thought for a moment and smiled at her genuinely.

"Jia, let's play 20 questions to your house, okay?"  Jia nodded and smiled a bit as they headed towards her place.

"Okay, I start first.  Jia, what do you wish to use your knowledge for in the future?"

"Hmmm.....I wish to spread my knowledge to other people, but people who are like wayyyyy younger than me!  Haha~ I just love children, that's all."

Minjoo nodded as she mentally took notes in her mind.  "How much do you like children?"

"I love children!  They're so fun to be with!"

"If you would do one thing for a child, what would it be?"

"I think.....I would like to show a child how to have fun and learn the basic things in life."

"Hmmm.....what do you think about teaching?"

"It's okay, I guess."

"Do you care about earning tons of money?"

"Eh.....just enough for a decent lifestyle and home.  Why?"

Minjoo grinned and stopped walking, looking up at the sign that says Lee Residence hanging above the front door.  "Let's stop the game here."  she said.

Jia looked puzzled and stopped walking with Minjoo.  "What?  Why?"

Minjoo looked directly at her.  "Why not become a kindergarden teacher, then?  If it doesn't work out, you can always do those two other options that Tae texted me by what you said to him.  A wedding planner and a bakery, right?  Why not do all 3 of them to earn more money and have fun while being busy all at once?"  she suggested.

Jia's eyes glistened and smiled at Minjoo.  "Really?!  How come I never thought of that?!  Thank you!!!!!"  she hugged her and rushed into her house, now thinking about her life plan.

Minjoo chucked and shook her head at Jia's silliness as she heard a thud noise and Taemin laughing at first, then the sound of him  whimpering that he's in pain because of Jia bounced off the walls of the house and out the front door.

She laughed once more and decided to walk to her host's work, VNT, where Jonghyun (her host) is DJing at a club with Minho.  Hmm.... maybe I'll get to see Minho.....