Chanhee's first time at the movies

Baby U

Chanhee stuck close to L.Joe as they walked inside the mall.  He was fascinated with all of the different stores lined up one by one, and all of the different people walking around the mall.

 

“Would you like a sample?” One of the workers from a candy shop held out a tray of candy.

 

Chanhee looked at L.Joe.  He didn’t know if he was allowed to take one or not.  L.Joe chuckled.  He took two pieces of candy from the tray and gave one to Chanhee.  He plopped the candy into his mouth then glanced at Chanhee.

 

“Is it good?”  L.Joe asked.

“Mmhmm.”  Chanhee nodded.  “I like this chocolate.”

 

L.Joe smiled.  How could such a kid from a rich family be amazed with the mall let alone a small piece of candy?

 

Together they went to the theater.  All of the movie posters were on display outside of the theater.

 

“What do you want to watch?”  L.Joe asked.

“I don’t know.”  Chanhee looked at the posters.  “What’s good?  You chose.”

 

L.Joe wanted to watch a horror movie, but decided that watching a horror movie as the first movie in the theaters might traumatize poor Chanhee.  Other than the horror movies there were only romantic comedies and love stories that L.Joe didn’t feel like watching with someone who was just a friend.  L.Joe decided on watching the only other movie left which was an action movie, although he had already seen the movie with his friends the week prior.

 

L.Joe ordered the movie tickets at the ticket counter while Chanhee stood next to him.

 

“That’ll be $20 for the both of you.”  The man behind the counter totaled up their tickets.

 

L.Joe took out his wallet to pay.  He only had $20 on him.  Chanhee noticed.

 

“I’ll pay.”  Chanhee casually took out a $50 bill from his wallet.

“Wait, no.”  L.Joe stopped Chanhee.  “You can pay for the food inside.  I’ll pay for the tickets.”

“Food inside?”  Chanhee was confused.  “There is food inside?”

“Yeah.”  L.Joe nodded.

 

After paying for the tickets and Chanhee buying popcorn they went inside the theater.  L.Joe sat comfortably in his seat, leaning against the arm rest.  Chanhee, starry-eyed, sat up-right in his seat.  As the theater got dark and the music got louder Chanhee sat taller.

 

“Just relax.”  L.Joe whispered.  “It’s like watching TV at home.”

 

Chanhee slowly leaned back into his seat.

 

L.Joe put the bucket of popcorn in Chanhee’s lap.  He took a handful of popcorn and popped it in his mouth.  “I’m going to leave it in your lap since I tend to eat the whole thing by myself if it’s in mine.”  He sipped his drink then stared at the screen.

 

The movie began with a car chase between the protagonist and antagonist.  L.Joe leaned back further into his chair.  He put his feet up on the chair in front of him since the seat was empty.  Meanwhile Chanhee munched on the popcorn, eating handful after handful.  He jumped back, startled when the sound the car crash echoed through the theater.

 

 

“That was fun!”  Chanhee exclaimed after the movie finished.  “It was like I was inside the movie!”

L.Joe shook his head.  “You’re strange you know that.”

 

He glanced at his phone, checking the time.

 

“Sorry, but do you mind if I drop you off at home now?  I have work in an hour and I need to get ready.”  L.Joe told Chanhee.

“Again?”  Chanhee asked.  “Didn’t you just finish work?”

“I have three jobs.”  L.Joe reminded.  “On the weekends I usually work at the restaurant in the mornings, then at night I work at a club.  But on weekdays usually I work here on the third floor.  There is a clothing shop called Tanks.  Have you heard of it?”

“No.”  Chanhee replied.

“I guess not.”  L.Joe chuckled.  “It’s not where most rich people would shop.”

 

Chanhee reluctantly followed L.Joe to his motorcycle.  He gripped on L.Joe’s shirt as he drove him home.

 

“See you at school on Monday.”  L.Joe waved then drove off.

 

Chanhee waved back then entered the gates into his mansion.  He opened the door and was greeted by the staff.

 

“Welcome home, young master.”  The head butler greeted.

“Thanks.”  Chanhee sighed.

 

Chanhee looked around his large, cold, empty mansion.  He wanted to go back to L.Joe’s place.  It felt more warm and cozy despite being only being a small room.