The School Nerd Meets the School Gangster

Baby U

A/N:  Chunji is going to be called Chanhee for a while.  He has yet to establish Chunji as his nickname yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a typical Thursday at school.  All the students were anxiously sitting in class watching the clock waiting for school to end.  It was barely an hour into school and students were already grumbling about how their school work and wishing school would finish early.  The teachers on the other hand were completely oblivious to the impatient and boisterous students as they continued their academic lectures.

 

Paper balls and paper airplanes flew in the air as students tried to find ways to cure their boredom.  One of the paper balls hit a boy in the front of the room.  The boy touched his head, ruffling his hair a little before picking up the paper ball and shoving it in his desk.  He picked up his pencil and continued to pay attention to the teacher’s lecture, ignoring the other students and paper balls.

 

After the end of first period the boy gathered his belongings and neatly slipped them into his bag.  He walked out of the class only to be face to face with the door.  The boy fell onto his as the door opened.  All the students in the hallway pointed fingers and laughed at the boy as they passed by.

 

“Look!  The nerd, Chanhee, doesn’t know how to open the door.”  The school bully, Taehyun, teased.

“Maybe he took one too many AP classes that he forgot how to do simple tasks.  Look he can’t even talk.”  One of Taehyun’s groupies added. 

“Does the nerd need to re-learn how to talk?”  Taehyun and his groupies laughed. 

“Or maybe he choked on a last night when he was working his corner.”  Another groupie added causing more laughter among the group.

 

The boy, Chanhee, ignored the group dog boys and quickly got back up on his feet.  He straightened out his uniform and fixed his thick, black framed glasses on his face.  This definitely was another typical Thursday, or more correctly, typical day for Lee Chanhee, the school nerd.

 

Lee Chanhee was a junior at the prestigious Kangnam Academy for the Rich and Talented.  Kangnam Academy ran from pre-school to high school, and only accepted students with lavishing backgrounds who could afford to pay the tuition or very talented students who earned scholarships.  Scholarships to the school were scares, but everyone who couldn’t afford for the tuition applied for a scholarship as any resume with Kangnam Academy under education was a definite hire.

 

Chanhee’s father was the CEO of ZipShock, a large electronics corporation and retailer that had long surpassed and replaced Apple Inc.  It was Chanhee’s father that paid for the tuition for the academy and therefore Chanhee had attended the academy since he was in pre-school. 

 

Chanhee had built up a reputation during his years at the academy was the “school nerd.”  He had maintained straight A’s in all his classes and was always in the Top 10 of his school.  As the school nerd he was always the target of teasing and practical jokes. 

 

At first Chanhee was offended by the name “school nerd” and hated the daily bullying, but after years of being bullied he had gotten used to it.  However, recently the bullies had changed their tactics in bullying.  Instead of teasing Chanhee for his intelligence, they opted to tease Chanhee for his feminine looks.  Chanhee had fair, flawless skin with black hair.  He also had brown eyes which were hidden behind his thick black glasses.  He wasn’t as muscular as the average male and his skin was obviously a lot smoother than the average male, which was the original reason for the change in teasing methods.  However, after a few untrue rumors about Chanhee being seen with men and trying on some feminine clothing, the teasing escaladed to Chanhee being teased about his uality and of course being smart.

 

Chanhee quickly ran to his next class.  Taehyun and his friends had taken up too much of his time and he was afraid the front row seats in class would all be taken by the students who actually came to school to study.  Much to his luck all the seats in the front two rows were taken and the next two rows were filled with people who often took part in humiliating him. 

 

Chanhee warily walked to the back of the classroom where there were two open seats.  One seat was beside another of his bullies, Jihyuk.  The second seat was beside the mysterious Lee Byunghyun or L.Joe as he liked to be called.  Chanhee decided that he wanted to learn in the class instead of dealing with Jihyuk’s torment, so he decided to sit next to L.Joe.

 

Chanhee slowly walked over to the seat and put his things down on the table.  L.Joe, who had his head down on the table, listening to his ipod, sat up and glanced at Chanhee.  Chanhee gave a small bow and smile to L.Joe as he sat down.  L.Joe nodded back before putting his head back down.

 

Throughout class Chanhee felt uncomfortable in the back of the room.  He could hardly hear the teacher and the words on the board looked like it was miles away.  Chanhee sighed, it was hopeless to even try to pay attention from the back of the room.  He decided that he would learn more from the textbook than if he tried to pay attention to the lecture. 

 

Chanhee took out his textbook and flipped to the chapter 14, which they were studying.  Before he could start reading a neat and straight paper landed on his book.  He looked at the paper curiously, never had anyone given him a paper that wasn’t crumpled up or folded into an airplane.  Chanhee’s lips formed a smile as he read the paper.  Written neatly on the top of right corner of the paper was the name “Lee Byunhyun.”  The title of the paper was “Chapter 14 Notes.”  The content of the paper was neatly written, thorough notes on everything that the teacher was lecturing.

 

Chanhee looked amazingly at L.Joe who still had his earphones in his ears and was writing in his notebook like he always did in class.  At a glance anyone would have thought that L.Joe wasn’t paying attention to the teacher and was just scribbling down random things in his notebook, but Chanhee had realized that L.Joe was actually paying attention and was writing down notes.  L.Joe, the so-called “mysterious badass gangster” of the school, was actually listening to the lecture.

 

L.Joe caught Chanhee looking at him.  Chanhee blushed in embarrassment.  L.Joe put his finger to his lips as if telling the A+ student to keep his note taking a secret.  He winked at Chanhee before returning to writing his notes.

 

Chanhee looked back at L.Joe’s notes.  How could the mysterious L.Joe take such detailed notes while Chanhee could barely hear or see the lecture?  L.Joe didn’t wear glasses or have a hearing aid, so how could he have been able to write down notes?  Was Chanhee really blind and deaf from sitting up close to the teacher in all classes?  Chanhee began to wonder all sorts of questions about how L.Joe and his notes.  Did L.Joe cheat?  According to rumors about L.Joe being a gangster it was possible to that he could have cheated, after all, gangsters don’t obey the law.

 

Chanhee secretly glanced back at L.Joe.  L.Joe currently had blonde hair, but he changed his hair color so often Chanhee didn’t know how long L.Joe’s blonde hair would last.  Chanhee somehow believed that L.Joe probably was born with brown hair that matched his brown eyes.  L.Joe also had two ear piercing, which was probably the reason for L.Joe being called a gangster at the school.  L.Joe was never involved in fights in school, so how rumors about being a gangster came out Chanhee didn’t understand.  Aside from the fights, L.Joe’s looks and his mysterious personality was probably why everyone started gangster related rumors about him.

 

L.Joe was extremely good looking with a slightly muscular body.  With L.Joe’s looks and rumors about being a gangster, he was the desire of almost every girl in the school, but there was one problem with L.Joe, he was the quiet kid in class, who never wanted to be in the spotlight.  He always sat alone in the back of the room listening to his ipod.  He hardly ever spoke to anyone aside from his teachers and class partners.  He had no friends at school, but he always seemed to disappear during lunch and after school.  Everyone questioned the rumors of whether L.Joe was really in a gang since he always disappeared.  Even his family background and how he got into Kangnam Academy where unknown.  Everyone assumed that L.Joe probably paid his way in with dirty cash, but then they questioned why would gangsters want to go to school?  L.Joe was a complete mystery.

 

Before Chanhee knew it class was over.  He had spent too much time thinking about the mystery of L.Joe and L.Joe’s notes.  He didn’t even have time to copy the notes, but now he’d have to return them.  Chanhee frowned as he looked back at the perfectly good notes that he’d have to return without having. 

 

Chanhee turned to L.Joe and held the paper out to return, but L.Joe was gone.  He had already left the classroom.  Chanhee’s disappointment turned to happiness as he now had time to copy the notes.  He could return the notes later.

 

Chanhee turned back to his table to start packing, but he noticed three more sheets of paper and a pink post it.

 

All the notes from today’s class.

Give it back tomorrow.

-L.Joe

P.S.  I’d sit in front of the class if you can’t hear or see the lecture.

 

Chanhee smiled widely as he took L.Joe’s notes and put them into his binder.  It seems that L.Joe isn’t as cold or mean as the rumors make him seem.