Chapter 2

The Girl on TV

kyuhyun-changmin.jpg

 

 

He was back at the cafe again. But today, the room seemed to be glowing and full of warmth. 

"Ah it's so nice here," Kyuhyun thought. 

"Oppa! You're here! Come sit - I've made some hot chocolate for us," a sweet voice called.

He looks towards the voice and grins. "Aw, you didn't have to do that my silly girl."

She pouts adorably. "It's such a cold day outside though. A good day for snuggling by the fire, right?"

Kyuhyun laughs and pinches her cheek gently. "Of course. I was just teasing sweatheart." He pulls her to him by the waist and leads her to the loveseat by the fireplace. 

"Hm, don't remember when we added this fireplace," he muses, but quickly forgets as she drops down next to him and rests her head on his shoulder. 

He was being lulled into a half asleep state when someone started shaking his shoulder. 

"Kyuhyun! .... Kyuhyun! Did you stay up playing Starcraft all night again?"

"Mmmmmm... hot chocolate" he mutters.

"Kyuhyun! You're going to be late for school!"

He bolts upright. "Eomma?" And turns to his other side. But there was no one else there in his bed. "A dream? But that girl..."

"Kyu, I'm leaving to go to the cafe now. There's breakfast in the kitchen. Don't be late, ok?"

He nods and starts to get up. 

"Aish that girl is invading my dreams now!" he shakes his head and runs his hands through his hair, as if it would help erase the image of her from his mind. 

 

----------------- Later that morning --------------------

 

"Kyuhyun, did you get the answer to 4 yet?" 

"Yup, here do u wanna see?"

"Great, thank goodness you're a math genius. Why the heck do they make us take Advanced Calculus in high school? Sheesh"

"It's just to torture you Min-ah, just you."

"Haha yeah and they created physical education just for you right Kyu?"

Kyuhyun shrugs. "We all have our strengths I suppose."

Changmin raises an eyebrow. "You ok today man? Usually that comment would have earned me a 20 minute lecture on how everyone's body develops at a different pace and you're just biologically unique."

"Me? Yeah I'm fine." He didn't really want to share about his dream. "School is just a drag you know."

"Yup I hear you. But at least we were able to skip a grade together."

Kyuhyun nodded. If it weren't for Changmin, the endless hours of lectures and studying would be unbearable. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two had met when they were only 4, at a playground in between their houses. Their mothers instantly became friends, insuring that little Minnie and little Hyunnie saw each other quite often. 

At first, things had been tense. An intuitive boy, Kyuhyun was naturally smart and excelled in all subject areas at school. Changmin on the other hand, while good at studying and able to pick up things quickly, was more inclined to be athletic and gifted at sports. Add two hughly competitive spirits and you have a perferct rivalry.

As they grew, Kyuhyun would always best Changmin in grades and earn the top spot in their year. The tables turned when they were on the practice field. Changmin's tall, muscular build and easy going nature also earned him the admiration of young girls and boys alike, and he was consistently voted class president. Kyuhyun tended to be more lanky and akward. 

The two rarely spoke to each other but there was mutual respect and both acknowledged that this rivalry existed and eventually, one would win. 

One week at the beginning of their 8th grade changed everything. 

Kyuhyun had been walking home alone from school one evening, having stayed late to help with club activities. He failed to notice that a group of  burly upperclassmen were following him with interest. 

"Hey nerd! You over there! We have something to say!" one of the thugs called out. Kyuhyun glanced back and decided that he would rather not know. 

"Maybe later... actually, make that never." he answered and walked a little faster.

"Huh don't you know how to respect your elders? Come back here kid." They broke out into a run and soon, were chasing Kyuhyun through the streets. 

Kyuhyun was sprinting at full speed now but couldn't shake them. "God dammit how am I going to get rid of them?!"

Turning a sharp corner, he stumbled and tried to catch his breath. "Hey! Pssstt, Kyuhyun! This way!" a familiar voice called.

"Changmin???"

"Come on, hurry up"

Changmin grabbed his hand and pulled him into a hidden alcove. A few minutes later, the thugs ran by confused and angry.

"Where the heck did he go? That punk."

"Ah forget it. We'll get him some other time. He's too fast."

They walked off to grab some beer.

"Phew. Thanks man." Kyuhyun sighed and sank to the ground. 

"What did those idiots want from you?" Changmin asked.

"Dunno. Probably for me to do their homework for them."

"Ah. Well it's a good thing I live around here then."

"Yeah, I owe you one."

"Don't worry about it. Just take of yourself, little Hyunnie."

"Hey! I'm almost as tall as you now you know."

"Yeah Yeah I know". Changmin smirked and waved. "See you around."

"Yup bye". 

The next day Kyuhyun found out what those thugs really wanted. They corned him in the bathroom during lunch. 

"Punk, we have a proposition for you alright. And I think you're gonna wanna listen this time," one of them says, flexing his muscles.  

Kyuhyun warily backs up. 

"You see, we got orders that tomorrow's election for student president needs.. a little creative effort by you."

"Specifically, that Shim Changmin's votes are way too high and need some adjustment."

"And what does that have to do with me?" Kyuhyun questions.

"Huh. And I thought this kid was smart. Alright I'll spell it out - make it so he loses tomorrow."

".... Dong Min, the runner up last year asked you to do this didn't he?" 

"So what if he did, don't think you can get out of it," they responded, threateningly.

"Use those nerd powers of yours to hack into the computer system tomorrow, and you won't have to meet my fists."

Kyuhyun just nodded. In a situation like this, it was best to agree and then work on a plan.

"I think he's got the picture for now guys. But we'll be watching you tomorrow."  They strode off, laughing menacingly. 

 Kyhyun racked his brain. Yes, of course he could easily hack into the system - he was a genius when it comes to computers. But how could he save both him and Changmin?

 

The next day, Kyuhyun came ready with a plan.

"Attention all students, Attention please." the loudspeaker went off in homeroom. "As today is the class election for 8th grade, we need everyone to gather in the auditorium after lunch so we can announce the results. You will then hear a speech from your new class officers."

"Hmmm I only have 4 hours then, better get working" Kyuhyun muttered.

He slipped out quietly to "use the restroom".

 

At lunch, the students were all buzzing about the election. 

"I just know Changmin oppa will be elected again. He's so perfect, how could he lose." one gushing girl told her friend.

"Yeah, but I heard this strange rummor. Apparently Dong Min is really confident today. He's been parading around like he owns the place." 

Kyuhyun overheard them and smirked. Of course. Well, let that bastard enjoy himself for now. "Hope he has a good speech prepared then."

 

In the auditorium, the principal hushed the students and began the ceremony.

"Ok, the results have all been tabulated by our computers. So if you look to the screen behind me, you will see a graph of the vote tallies..... Wait what's going on?!"

The screen behind the principal had everyone's attention, but for the wrong reason. Instead of a graph, it was showing a movie clip. 

It was Dong Min and the four thugs meeting in an empty classroom.

"Yo, what's this meeting about kid. We did what you asked, now give us our money!" one thug demanded.

On the screen, Dong Min looked surprised. "I didn't call this meeting, I got this note this morning, saying that screwing with the votes is harder than you thought."

At that, the student body and principal gasped. 

"Screwing with the votes?"    "What's going on?"   "Dong Min cheated?"  they all began whispering.

"Yeah, well it wasn't easy but I told you, we made sure that kid understood to lower Shim Changmin's votes so you'd win."

"Alright alright, then you'll get your money after the election results are announced today, ok?"

"We want some upfront right now!"    "Yeah, I think we've earned it, chasing Kyuhyun or whatever his name is around ain't easy."

"You'll get the money afterwards! Like we agreed!" Dong Min yelled and stormed out.

 

After the video was over, there was a dead silence. Then the principal asked Dong Min, who was standing on the stage with the other candidates "Dong Min, do you have an explanation?"

Dong Min was literally shaking. "...NNnoo. No. I don't know what's going on. Someone framed me! This is all a set up! Actually, it was Kyuhyun! This was all his idea!"

Everyone then turned and looked at Kyuhyun (Since they had to sit alphabetically, it wasn't too hard to find him). The principal called him forward. "Kyuhyun, please explain."

"I think Dong Min needs to answer for himself. That video proves everything."

The principal still looked unsure, Dong Min was known as a good kid and his parents were quite influential.

Then Changmin stepped forward. "Principal Park, I will vouch for Kyuhyun. He would not do something like this. In fact, I witnessed him being chased around by those guys in the video."

Principal Park nodded, he trusted Changmin greatly. "Students, we will investigate this matter thoroughly. Our school does not tolerate cheating." He turns and looks at Dong Min. "Regardless of who you are, there will be no exceptions. Until then, the results of this election are postponed. Return to your classes now. Lee Dong Min, come to my office immediately."

As the students filed out, Changmin grabbed Kyuhyun's shoulder.

"I think this time I owe YOU one."

"Me? I didn't really do anything."

"Let's call it even then."

"Alright"

"Hey, are you free today? Want to grab some ddukbokki after school?"

Kyuhyun smiled. "Sure."

"I think we have a lot to discuss."

They had been inseperable ever since. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, Kyuhyun, did you hear? We're going to have a big event at our school soon." Changmin asked.

"Oh? Is my wonderful President Shim working as hard as ever?"

Changmin ignored Kyuhyun's teasing and said, "We may be one of the schools that gets to be on MNET's School of Rock! This will be great exposure for our school and the students will love it."

Kyuhyun, who doesn't watch much TV, was about to ask what "School of Rock" is when he was interrupted.

"Changmin sunbae! You look so handsome today!" a young girl walked up to the two.

"Ah thanks Hae Jung-ssi." Changmin smiled quietly.

"Would you and Kyuhyun sunbae like to eat lunch with me and Ae-young today? We brought plenty of side dishes!" she asked, turning her face so her "better side" was angled toward them. 

"Er..." Changmin wasn't sure. Although he had been receiving invitations from girls almost everyday, he always felt akward eating lunch with people he considered only acquaintances. 

"Changmin, why don't you go ahead. Enjoy yourself. I'm not feeling well, so I'm going to have to pass. Have a good day girls." Kyuhyun quickly intervened and began walking off. 

"Kyu! Hey!" Changmin called desperately. "Are you sure?!"

Kyuhyun turned around, smirking and replied, "Of course. See you later."

"Kyu! Kyu! Aish that kid..." Changmin muttered.

"Oppa don't worry, it will be delicious!"  And with that, Hae Jung dragged away a distressed looking Changmin.

 

Kyuhyun laughed to himself. "I'd better hide, Changmin will kill me later - but the look on his face hahaha".

A gentle tap on his shoulder made him realize he was not alone.

"Excuse me, can you tell me where the restrooms are?" 

 

-----------------------------------------

Author's note: Lol. This was supposed to be mainly SeoKyu but it somehow turned into the adventures of Minnie and Hyunnie hehe. Their bromance is too cute sometimes. Next chapter, we'll meet Seohyun! yay :)