Chapter 4

The Girl on TV

"Everybody knows her name,Wanna take a picture and 
they're glad she came, But I just want to be there when 
she's down"

 

snsd-girls-go-to-school.jpg?w=630

 

 

"Hey! Did you hear? Apparently, School of Rock really is coming to our school!"

"Whaaa really? That would be too cool. I wonder who it'd be."

"OMG, do you think maybe SHINee???"

Kyuhyun had to surpress the urge to roll his eyes. For a week now, there has been endless speculation about School of Rock. Somehow, he had been the only person to actually see SNSD that day they came to rehearse. 

And now, for once in his life, he was actually looking forward to school, if it meant he could see Joohyun again in person.

 

After he had met her, he had rather shamelessly looked up as much as he could find about her on the Internet. Since SNSD was a rookie group, there was not as much available as he had hoped. He did discover that she had trained for 4 years before debuting this summer and that her stage name was Seohyun. Also, she was 16, making her a year younger than him (Author's note: Yes, I know he is older than that but let's suspend reality here ^^ )

Sometimes Kyuhyun was a little worried. He didn't want to become like one of those creepy, Internet stalkers, he just wished he could get to know her better. 

Over and over again, he replayed their conversation in his head, not really paying attention to what was said, but just the ways her eyes sparkled and her cute, energetic hand gestures because she was so excited that someone else was interested in what she was reading.

He wanted to ask her more questions, because she always answered so truthfully. He wanted to study together, because she was so bright and inquisitive. He wanted to kiss her, because those lips looked incomparably sweet.

Smack! 

Kyuhyun banged his head against his desk. 

"No! Bad Hyun, you can't think about her that way yet. You just met her! She's innocent, and pure, and ... really really pretty."

Smack!

"Seo Joo Hyun-ah, you really are going to be the death of me," he murmured to himself, his cheek resting against the desk in defeat. 

 

He jumped as someone tapped his shoulder.

"Whoa, it's just me Kyu."

"Ah, Changmin what are you doing here?"

"My meeting ended early. Why are trying to plaster yourself to the desk?"

"Oh, um well you see my class is changing seats soon, and I'm rather attached to this desk so I thought if I drooled all over it, no one else would take it."

".... "

"...."

"Ok that's it. Tell me what's going on. You've been like this for a week now!"

"Like what?"

"Let's see: avoiding answering me directly, day dreaming all the time, talking to yourself - there's more on that list if you really want to know"

"How is that so different than normal?"

"Kyu, today you were spacing out so much you dropped a book on some poor freshman's head while walking to class... and didn't even notice!"

"Yes, well accidents happen."

Changmin let out a frustrated sigh and Kyuhyun felt really bad for making his friend worry so much.

"Min-ah, I'm sorry. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I think I'm just too introspective these days."

Changmin shook his head.

"Ah yes, Philosopher Kyu strikes again"

"I think therefore I am," quoted Kyuhyun, with a grin on his face.

"Psh. More like, "All Kyuhyun does is think, and therefore he needs to get a life"

"Hey! Ok, fine then. You won't been singing that tune when I whoop you on the basketball court!" 

Kyuhyun jumps up, and dashes to the door.

"You still got skills, Minnie?" he taunts.

"Hey! Last I remember, I beat you 12-2!" Changmin rushes forward, intent on catching Kyuhyun. 

Laughing, he chases Kyuhyun all the way down to the gym.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day for School of Rock finally arrives and students of all grades are packed into the auditorium. 

Kyuhyun was shuffling his feet around nervously. At least Changmin wasn't here to question him about it - as president, he had to go meet with the producers before the show began. 

 

"Ah, are you Changmin-ssi?" an MNET employee asks.

"Yes, I am. How do you do?" Changmin bows.

"Ah good, good. No time for that though, we have to get you into make up."

"Wait a sec - no one told me - "

"Well, we need you to introduce the show at the beginning. Plus, maybe you can be part of the skits with the girls later."

"Er... I don't know if that - "

"Don't worry, if it's not good, we can always cut it out. Come now" the pushy employee hauls Changmin off. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changmin is sat in a make up chair and whirled around.

A woman he's never met before studies his face closely. "Wow, you have an awesome jawline. Well, we won't need to put too much on you!" she announces. 

True enough, she lets him go after 5 minutes and then he is left with his nervous thoughts.

Changmin sinks down and rests on the stairs, closing his eyes. 

"You can do this Changmin. It's just like any other speech. Nevermind that it may be on TV. For the whole country to see. Right. Crap."

"Are you really nervous too?" a voice above him asks. 

Opening his eyes, he first sees a pair of red and white sneakers attached to two long legs. "Oh, a girl?" he wonders.

Looking up, he finds himself staring into a pair of large, inquisitive, but kind eyes. 

"Don't worry, everyone is a little nervous at first. Just try to ignore the audience and cameras until you feel comfortable enough to be yourself." she advises.

" 'Courage is grace under pressure' ", she quotes with an encouraging smile. 

Changmin can't help but smile back. 

"How did such a young girl become so wise?" he asks her.

She laughs and he feels the butterfiles in his stomach dissappear slowly. 

"Hm, perhaps this won't be so bad" he thinks. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Students, we have quite the program for you today. And here to introduce it is your very own president, Shim Changmin!"

A roar of applause comes from the excited youths as Changmin walks forward on the stage.

Kyuhyun snickers. "Poor Changmin - he didn't bargain for this".

"Students, thanks for your support today. We really hope you enjoy the show and the special appearance by this week's artist. Let's give it up for So Nyuh Shi Dae!" Kyuhyun is surprised - Changmin is actually quite the host. 

The banner behind Changmin is taken down and the student body rushes forward.

Kyuhyun struggles to not get trampled and in the end, just lets the bodies push him forward.

The music starts and he is captivated.

 

I want to tell you, even though the sad times have already past

Close your eyes and feel, how you affect my mind, how you attract my gaze.

Don't wait for a miracle, there's a rough road in front of us
with obstacles and future that can't be known, yet I won't change, I can't give up.

Keep your love unchanging for my wounded heart
Looking in your eyes, no words are needed, time has stopped.


 

2432258087_1.jpg

 

That line that she sings.... yes, he was definitely affected by her. 

It all seemed over too fast. After the girls performed, and introductions made, the MNET host brought Changmin back on. 

"Changmin-ssi, what do you think of these our performers today?" the MC asks.

Changmin blushes. 

"They are all very lovely, and sang very well." he replies, bowing in SNSD's direction. The girls beam at his compliment.

"Is there anyone in particular that suits your style then?" the MC asks with a grin.

"Oh! Er...I ..."

"Come on, just your personal style - you won't offend anyone." 

"Ah, well then perhaps ... Seohyun-ssi."

Kyuhyun's eyebrows furrowed, and he tries not to scowl. 

"Seohyun? Changmin knows about her?" he wonders.

 

"Seohyun-ssi, do you have anything to say to Changmin then?" the MC carries on.

She steps forward and smiles at Changmin. "Ah - well, thank you for allowing us to come to your school today. It was a great pleasure being here." bowing, she turns towards the audience and says "thanks so much to everyone here!" 

The audience cheers in response and the MC nods, "Yes, MNET was proud to present you School of Rock. Please check out our episode next week! Until then, we're signing off with SNSD!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After the show, Kyuhyun tries to shake the uncomfortable feeling in his chest when he remembers how Changmin and Seohyun made eye contact on the stage. 

He decides to wander towards backstage to see if he can find his best friend. 

After checking a couple of rooms with no success, he takes out his phone and tries to text him instead. 

Since he is standing quietly in the corner, 4 noisy freshmen walk in and don't pay him any mind. Although their job is to help clean up and put away the tables and chairs, they seem more interested in talking about the concert. 

"Man, SNSD was great. Right hyung?"

"Yeah, if you're refering to their legs!" the guy replied, whistling.

"Yup they're pretty hot. Especially that Seohyun girl. The Prez seems to have good taste, eh? hahaha"

"Yeah she looks all innocent and sweet but I bet that girl knows how to charm, if you know what I mean."

 

Kyuhyun can feel his blood boiling.

"Hey! Watch what you say! Those girls don't deserve your sick attentions. They were doing their best out there today!" he yells.

"Uh, who's he?" they ask each other.

"Actually, I think he's best friends with Changmin."    

"Ah crap, I'm not looking for trouble. The principal said if I get one more detention, I'm suspended"

"Ya! Are you going to apologize or what?" Kyuhyun yells.

" Right! sorry mister." 

"Yeah, we didn't mean anything."

"Learn to respect women, or I'll make sure you guys never get girlfriends!" Kyuhyun threatens.

"Sorry!" they squeak and hurry out of the room.

Kyuhyun watches them leave, still fumming. 

"Kyukyun-ssi?" A pair of timid eyes are peering at him around the corner of the door. 

"Joohyun-ssi!" Immediately, his anger drops 10 degrees. 

"What are you doing here?" he questions her. 

"I came back to get my jacket" she says, quietly coming around the corner, clutching the article of clothing in her hands. 

"Did you hear everything then...?" 

She nods. 

Kyuhyun sighs, "Joohyun-ssi, I'm sorry -"

But he is abruptly cut off as she rushes forward and embraces him in a hug. 

Kyuhyun is dazed. Never had he expected to feel her in his arms today. And never could he have imagined how amazing it would be. Although she is tall, her head is able to rest just under his chin. He breathes in her scent - a unique mix of strawberries and violet petals (Author's note: I'm not making this up lol you can get the fragrance here: http://www.sephora.com/daisy-P191858?skuId=1029941)  

"Thank you" she murmurs into his chest, and he hopes she does not notice how her closeness has affected his heartbeat. Looking down, he gently tilts her chin up to look into her eyes. 

For a brief second, he forgets himself and is tempted, so tempted to kiss those lips which are only a few inches from his. 

She blushes deeply and stammers, "Ah sorry, I shouldn't have - "

"No! I mean - it's ok. I don't mind." Kyuhyun smiles.

She looks down again, but he can see a tiny smile grace her features. 

He can tell she is a little overwhelmed, so he let's her go but stays close by her side. 

"You were great today. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise," he says earnestly.

She nods again and manages to return his gaze. 

"Thank you again Kyuhyun oppa. Oh! is it ok to call you oppa?"

"Of course, that is, if I can call you Joohyunnie"

"Joohyunnie? Haha ok. No one has called me that before."

"Good. Then it's settled - only I can call you Joohyunnie"

"Oppa how silly" she laughs.   "I have to leave now though, my groupmates are waiting for me in the bus"

"Wait! Then one thing before you go. Here's my number, just in case you ever need any help don't hesitate to call."

"Thank you oppa, I will keep that in mind." she replies dutifully.  "I'll talk to you later then."

"Ok bye bye Joohyunnie", he says, emphasizing her new nickname.

"Bye bye Kyuhyun Oppa!" she imitates, and waves as she runs off.

He can help the slightly idiotic grin on his face. 

"Take care my pretty Joohyunnie" he whispers. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: This chapter took me much longer than I thought! But at least Kyu and Seo got to meet again :D    Thanks to all my new subscribers!