My Ducky Prince

My Ducky Prince

    (Hyejin’s POV)

_Yah! - I quickly putted my hands on his chest and pushed him away from my burning face - What are you doing!?

I looked at him wide eyes as my breath quickened due the sudden heart race. Did he just…

_Why? - He chuckled, keeping his eyes on the ground - Are you that much of a fool that you couldn’t even tell it was a kiss?

_..in-ah. Hyejin!

Snapped my head up, I found Baekhyun waving his hand in front of my face while Soojung was staring at me weirdly. Oh no, not again.

_Why aren’t you listening? - Baekhyun asked.

_Sorry oppa, I just feel a bit tired. - I looked down on my tray as I poked the food with my folk.

_I think something is wrong oppa. - I heard Soojung speaks - She’s been spacing out so many times this morning already. Are you sure that you’re fine, Hyejin?

_I’m fine Soojung. - I couldn’t help but rolled my eyes at her - Just eat your food.

_Then why are you looking flush? - Baekhyun looked at me worriedly.

_What? - My eyes widened as my hand flew up my cheeks - No I’m not.

_Yes you are. - He insisted - Let me check it.

I backed away a little as he reached out his hand and touched my forehead. He mumbled something about my temperature is fine so I quickly slapped his hand away. He glared at me with his pouty face before turned back to his lunch again. He doesn’t like it when I slap his beautiful hands but it’s his fault for putting it in front of my face like that. Suddenly, I felt a nudge on my side.

_Yah, look.

She slightly nodded toward the front, making me raised an eyebrow at her. Slowly followed her gaze, I got surprised when Sehun appeared in my sight. He was walking to the other corner of the cafeteria with Jongin. It was rather fast, like he was avoiding something or someone. I had a feeling that it was me though.

_Was that Sehun? - Baekhyun said as he followed our gaze.

_Ne. - Soojung answered, still looking at the figure from afar - He was looking over here. I thought he would come over to pick on Hyejin but he just walked off. I think something is up.

_I just met him this morning and he said something really weird. - He said, catching our attention.

_What did he say? - Soojung quickly asked, she seem excited.

_But wait, why do you meet him? - I added.

_I didn’t meet him. - He clarified, making us frowned - He came to me first. I was at the hallway when I saw him. He told me to tell you that he gave up and he won’t bother you anymore.

_Really? But it wasn’t really weird. - Soojung wondered out loud.

_Yeah, except the part where he told me to take care of our dear Hyejin here. - He said sarcastically before turned back to me - Hyejin-ah, did something happened between you two?

The incident yesterday flashed through my head again as I felt my heart started to beat fast. I blinked and gulped down the invisible lump in my throat, trying to calm down and say something.

_No. What do think have happened? - I kept a straight face as he was eyeing me.

_I don’t know. That’s why I ask you.

_What’s happening over here? Can I join?

We all lift our head up to find Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s classmate putting his tray down with a big smile like usual. Right on time. I quickly talked to him and thanked him mentally for saving me from this tension Baekhyun was putting me in. Chanyeol oppa, you’re the best.

Lunch time flew by quickly and soon I would have to face Sehun again. Blame him for being in the same class as me. Sighing, I shook the thought out of my head as I made my way to my locker. What I need now was to get my History book, not thinking about that stupid guy. Closing the locker with the thick book in my arms, I was about to walk away when someone called my name.

_Jongin oppa. - I turned around, slightly surprise when I saw him running toward me.

_Hey there Hyejin. - He smiled - Can you spare me a minute?

_Uhm, sure. - I hesitated a bit, it was the first time he come up to me without Sehun.

_Well - He suddenly rubbing his neck and looked away - I know it’s not my business but… did something happened between you and Sehun?

My eyes widened as I became speechless. I thought he might already know about the incident but it quickly washed away. He wouldn’t ask if he already known. I blinked and looked away, didn’t know how to react anymore. Should I say something?

_If you don’t want to talk about it then I understand. But don’t stay mad at him for too long, the poor boy is just trying to get your attention after all.

_Ne? - I looked up at him in confuse - What do you mean by that?

_It’s not my right to tell you that and it’s better for you to find it yourself though. But - He paused for a bit, looking around to check everyone before leaned down to my ears - Sehun loves to draw a duck on the note and I saw him brought this ducky phone charm a month ago.

He leaned back as I stared at him. He just smiled at me though. Was he trying to tell me that Sehun loves duck? But why?

_I better get back to class now. Good luck to you Hyejin.

And with that, he waved me goodbye and walked off. I got back to class, confusion filled up my mind. I just couldn’t figure it out. What exactly was he trying to tell me? Maybe I should ask Soojung, but she wasn’t in class yet. Pulled out my phone, the phone charm caught my attention again like always. It was a ducky plushie, I got it from my secret admirer. I saw his first note in my locker 2 months ago, a simple note asking to be friend with a drawing of a duck. He called himself Ducky, a really cute duck indeed. Then suddenly, I felt my eyes widened. Didn’t Jongin oppa just tell me…

My eyes quickly dart to this one specific desk, two rows behind on the left. There I found the person buried his face in his arms, taking a nap or just simply trying to avoid me. I bit on my lower lips, feeling the slight twitch in my heart. My Ducky prince, are you…

    (Sehun’s POV)

The bell rang, signaling that school is finally over. I didn’t know how I managed to get through such a long day but sure that it wasn’t easy. Grabbed my bag, I quickly made my way out, wanted to go home as soon as possible. Then maybe taking a shower later, I needed something to clear my mind.

_Sehun-ah!

Turning around, I found her running toward me. The scene in the hallway from earlier flashed through my mind as a frown appeared in my face. Somehow I could feel this rage inside my heart while looking at her. Maybe it was my fault for being a fool but I just couldn’t help it.

_What? - I said bluntly.

_Uhm, well… - She stuttered - About the project..

_I’ll finish it. - I quickly cut in - It’s almost over so you don’t have to come over anymore.

_Wait! Can we talk? - She asked as I walked away.

_We just did. Now would you excuse me, I want to go home.

_Yah! Can’t you see that I’m trying to talk to you? Stop avoiding me already.

_Then what!? - I turned around and snapped at her - You want me to stalk you instead? Sorry but I just don’t have all the time in the world for you.

I exploded and regretted it immediately once I saw the look in her eyes. She blinked at me in disbelief as I suddenly found it so hard to talk. What should I do now?

_Is that all you got? Then fine, do whatever you want. - She spun on her heels and walked away but suddenly turned back after a few steps - You know what? - I watched as she unhooked the trap of the phone charm and threw it at me - Take it back because I don’t need it anymore.

My mind suddenly went blank as I squatted down to pick up the fluffy yellow thing on the ground. She loves it a lot, why did she throw it away? Then it hit me. She knew it was me. She knew I was the secret admirer. Maybe that was why she wanted to talk to me. Now what have you done Oh Sehun?

_Hyejin-ah. Wait!

I sprang up, chasing after her slim figure that already went out of sight. I ran around, yelling her name but didn’t get any respond. This small girl, it’s really amazing how she disappears so fast. I kept searching around, trying to think of somewhere she could go to. Just when I was about give up, it popped out. Jung Hyejin, you better be there.

_Hyejin-ah! - I pushed the rooftop door open as I saw she wiped her face.

_What do you want? Go away. - She slightly turned toward me but still sticking at the railing.

Not sure what to do, I just awkwardly walked toward her direction and leaned my back against the railing. She kept ignoring me and stared into space, made me feel so nervous.

_Yah. - I held the ducky plushie in front of her face while looking away - Keep it.

_I don’t need it. - She pushed my hand away.

_Just keep it will you? - I frown and said.

She stole a quick glance at me before finally accepted it. Retreated my hands back, I stuffed it into the jean pocket as silence engulfed us. Glancing at her, I found her staring at the plushie while caressed it with her thumb. I hoped that she won’t throw it away again, I brought it for her after all. Clearing my throat, I tried to find some courage to talk to her.

_Sorry about that. - I mumbled.

_What?

_Well I - I turned to the side and caught her eyes, feeling myself got lost in there for a second - Uhm, I didn’t mean to yell. You know, from earlier?

_Oh.

She turned away and it was silent again. I hate this feeling so much, it was really frustrating. What was she thinking about? Does she hate me? It was so hard to figure out what’s on her mind. I wish that she could tell me though. Another minute passed by but still, none of us said a thing.

_Sehun-ah. - She called, catching my attention - Why are you being like that?

_What?

_Why are you ignoring me? - She said, slightly annoyed this time - Are you playing with me?

_I’m not! - I said, slightly panic - It’s just…

_Just what!? - She fully turned her body toward me - I don’t understand why you keep doing those crazy things. First, you’re picking up on me a lot like you really hate me. Then suddenly, you kissed me and acted like nothing happened. And this plushie too! If you weren’t playing with me then just tell me why you’re being like this!

_I…Argh!

I groaned and turned away, messing up my hair in the process. Oh how she has the power to drive me insane. I kept spacing back and forth, didn’t know whether to tell her or not. But know that I couldn’t stay like this forever, I decided to spill it all. What else to lose anyway.

_Yah Oh Sehun! Say something!

_Fine! I’ll tell you, okay?

I looked at her as we were panting slightly, trying to calm down from all the yelling. Her eyes softened as she looked away. I could feel the nervousness coming back again. Great.

_I admit it, I like you. - I said as my heart started to race - But I couldn’t let anyone know so I hid it by picking up on you instead. I could only leave notes in your locker but that didn’t help much. With that Chanyeol guy crushing on you and Baekhyun hyung always by your side, I don’t have enough confidence. Then after I know that you got a crush on Jongin hyung… I know I don’t have chance anymore.

_Then why did you still kiss me?

_I, I don’t know why I was being that reckless. But… I don’t regret kissing you though.

I darted my eyes to the ground as I could feel the heat crept up my on cheeks. Remembered the feeling of her soft lips on mine, I unconsciously bit my lower lips. Aish, how am I supposed to get over her after this?

_Babo.

I looked up only to found her smiling at me. It was playful but couldn’t hide all the sheepishness. Is this a good sign?

_You’re really an idiot. - She giggled - You know that Baekhyun oppa is my bestfriend right? Well, blame him for being my next door neighbor. But as for Chanyeol oppa, Baekhyun oppa just teases me so, it’s not real. Plus.. - She paused for a moment, making my breath hitched - I don’t like Jongin oppa anymore.

_Wai-what? - I stared at her confusingly - But I thought you two…

_We what? - She looked back with the same expression as well.

_I saw you in the hallway with him and… Didn’t he kiss you?

_What? - She widened her eyes and quickly shook her head - No! It’s not like that! He was just telling me about you, that’s all.

My face suddenly heated up from the embarrassment. He was the only one who knows about my secret identity, maybe that was why she found out about it. He was helping me and yet I was here, getting mad about something that doesn’t exist. Honestly, I felt really stupid right now.

_Well, uhm…- I blinked and stuttered, didn’t dare to look at her directly - I think we should get home now, it’s getting late.

_W-wait! Ducky!

I stopped my track immediately once I heard her word. It was the first time she called me by that name directly. My heartbeat quickened as I watch her stepped closer toward me, head hung low to avoid my gaze.

_You’ll be my prince right?

She looked up at me with a small smile as I felt the corner of my lips moved up. There was this stupid smile on my face that I didn’t even bother remove it. So, this is my happy ending right? It may sound cheesy but whatever, I’m more than happy to be her Ducky Prince.

_Do you want me to?

_Urgh, get away from me, you idiot.

_Wait! Don’t you need your prince to you?

_Whatever! Why does my prince have to be a duck?

_But it’s cute right? Aw c’mon~

 

-End-