Chapter 7

Curious L

The next morning, Myungsoo started packing. He did so slowly and deliberately, taking time to fold every piece of clothing. He stole glances at Sungjong. The petite figure was sitting on a chair in his room with his feet up and his palms on his cheeks, looking at Myungsoo’s suitcase curiously.

“I thought you were going to your cousin’s place,” Sungjong said.

“Yes, but since I’m already refreshed enough, I’ll just go back home.”

“Oh I see,” said Sungjong. “You said you wanted to take me with you.”

Myungsoo dropped the T-shirt he was folding and looked at Sungjong.

“Yes I said so. But you didn’t want to leave behind Dingdong remember?” Myungsoo’s voice was semi sarcastic, semi amused and semi hopeful.

Sungjong laughed loudly, clutching his stomach. It was a heavenly sight. Myungsoo could stare at him all day. He could almost see the rainbow spreading over Sungjong’s head, complete with a halo. Myungsoo’s chest expanded with an unknown feeling which filled him up completely.

“Why are you staring at me?” Sungjong finally asked, forcing himself to stop laughing.

“I’m not,” Myungsoo muttered, going back to his clothes.

“You know what mom said?”

“What?”

“I asked mom why were you being so mean to Dingdong and she said it was because you are jealous. You want me to shower all my attention on you.”

“Love.”

“Sorry, what?”

“Nothing,” Myungsoo tried to shake it off.

“You said something about love,” Sungjong persisted.

Myungsoo knew Sungjong would continuously pester him if he didn’t reply. So he heaved a deep sigh and said, “Myungsoo wants you to shower all your love on him.”

“Why are you talking like that?”

“Let’s do it like this ok? When we won’t be able to tell each other something, you know something embarrassing or hurtful, then we will talk like this. Deal?”

“Deal,” Sungjong said cheerfully. But then his face fell. “I don’t know what would be embarrassing or hurtful to say.”

“It’s ok Sungjongie, you’ll learn as you grow.”

“I’m all grown up. And I like you like a grown up.” Sungjong pouted.

“No you don’t. You don’t know what it means.”

“I do!” Sungjong protested.

Myungsoo walked up to the chair and moved his face closer to Sungjong’s, who was trying to disappear into the chair. His face was tinged bright red and he looked at Myungsoo fearfully as if he was about to cry.

“If you did like me like that, you’d like it if I tried to do this.” Myungsoo inched his lips forward towards Sungjong’s, who turned his face away from him.

“See you don’t want me to kiss you. You don’t like me, Sungjongie. You don’t even want to go to Seoul with me.” It took Myungsoo all his willpower to pull back from Sungjong, who hung his head low, still red in the face. He turned around with hurt written all over his eyes.

After Myungsoo was packed, he bade Mr. Lee farewell. Mrs. Lee was inside the house, packing food for him.

“We’ll miss you son,” said Mr. Lee. “You have been so good to Sungjongie even though he can be tiresome sometimes.”

“Thank you for your hospitality Mr. Lee. You have given me the best vacation ever. And you’ve also given me…something very precious. Anyways, I’ll leave now. I don’t think Sungjong wants to say goodbye. He’s with Dingdong.,” said Myungsoo, clearly disappointed.

“Wait,” said Mrs. Lee, running out of the house. Behind her, two servants carried 3 big suitcases and a small bag.

“Mrs. Lee, what have you packed? I couldn’t possibly eat all of this in a lifetime!” Myungsoo was shocked.

“No silly, these are Sungjong’s,” Mrs. Lee smiled back.

“I don’t understand—”

“Wait for me!” Sungjong’s voice was heard. Everyone turned to see Sungjong running pell-mell towards them.

“Where were you?” Mr. Lee frowned through his glasses.

“Saying-goodbye.” Sungjong was panting.