Chapter 2

Curious L

The bicycle had partly fallen over his right leg and the rest of it was lying on a boy of about 13 or 14 who lay flat on the path. Behind the boy was a huge, black and white cow, which was mooing continuously as if it was hurt. Before he could gulp down what he was seeing, he hurriedly pulled the bicycle up and stood up gingerly. He threw the cycle on the other side and sat down beside the boy who was now trying to get up. He was just skin and bones, no wonder he couldn’t remove the bicycle off of himself. His body was covered in dust and his messy hair was all over his face. Myungsoo prayed he wasn’t seriously injured.

“Hey there, are you alright?” he asked the boy softly.

The boy nodded his head but winced painfully. Myungsoo helped him on his feet but his own legs gave away and he held onto the cow for support. Suddenly the cow mooed loudly and shook its head vigorously.

“What the—”

“Don’t do that, Dingdong hates it!” the boy said in alarm.

“Oh sorry,” said Myungsoo and removed his hand. The boy went to the cow and started patting its back gently while cooing soft words.

“It’s ok Dingdongie, he didn’t mean it. He didn’t alright? I’ll scold him for you ok? He’s bad, bad-er what’s your name?” The last part was directed at Myungsoo who quickly replied.

“Thanks,” the boy said before turning to the cow and saying, “Bad Myungsoo,” several times until the cow calmed down. All the while Myungsoo watched him entranced.

“So where are you from?” Myungsoo jerked back to reality as he realized the boy was talking to him and at the same time, the pain in his leg came back.

“I-ouch-um Seoul,” he replied, trying to stand straight.

“Oh, did you want to visit anyone?”

“Um, no. My train broke down so we have to stay here for the night. I wanted to look around for a bit.” He left out the part where he had hired the bicycle even though he couldn’t ride one properly.

“Oh I see. But you need to stay somewhere for the night. Don’t you know a cyclone’s coming?” The boy’s eyes widened and to Myungsoo, he looked like a living doll. He had never touched a doll in his life but he wouldn’t mind playing with this one.

“Are you listening to me? I just asked you to come to our house and spend the night.”

“Oh right sorry. Won’t it be a bother for your parents?”

“Not at all. We have done it before. The train to Gwangju breaks down quite often at this station and the waiting room doesn’t have enough space.”

“Thanks, um…”

“Sungjong,” the boy smiled.

“Your smile lights up your face,” Myungsoo blurted out before he could stop himself.

“Thanks.” Sungjong blushed tomato red.

“How old are you?” Myungsoo asked hurriedly to change the subject.

“19,” Sungjong replied proudly.

“What? You’re just a year younger than me? Impossible!”

“Why is it impossible?”

“Because, well, for starters you look 14.”

“Would a 14 year old be this tall?”

“I don’t know. But your parents might want to check your birth certificate once more.”

“Very funny. Let’s go before the cyclone comes. But…did you bring this bicycle with you on the train?” Sungjong looked at the fallen bicycle in wonder.

“No! I hired it from the station. There’s a guy—”

“Hyunjoong ajhussi, I know him. Let’s take the cycle back to our place. I’ll tell someone to return it for you.”

“Thanks so much. Er, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you doing with a cow?”

“I was walking Dingdong.”

“What? You don’t walk cows, that’s ridiculous!”

Sungjong sighed. “I wanted a dog for my tenth birthday but my parents wouldn’t let me have it. So I started walking Dingdong instead. Even though I’m all grown up now, I don’t think I can part with Dingdong.” He the cow’s back fondly and it mooed back happily. If he didn’t find the scene so ridiculous, Myungsoo would have thought they looked cute together.