Chapter 4

Curious L

The next day dawned bright and sunny, as if to wipe away the memory of the cyclone. Fortunately, nothing much had been harmed apart from the trees. Myungsoo went to the train station first thing in the morning to change his train ticket and bring back his luggage. He had gladly accepted the offer of Mr. and Mrs. Lee, Sungjong’s parents, to spend a week at their house. They were so glad that Sungjong had made a new friend that they were reluctant to let him go. It was pretty obvious Sungjong had taken to Myungsoo since they saw the pair hand in hand going around the house after they had snacked together.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, felt that he needed to get to know Sungjong really well. Even though Sungjong had practically recited his biography at the first chance he got, Myungsoo wanted to know him even deeper, to the bottom of his heart.

After breakfast, Myungsoo asked Sungjong to show him around. Sungjong was very excited at the prospect but to Myungsoo’s utter annoyance, he insisted on bringing Dingdong along.

“You have me now, you don’t need Dingdong,” Myungsoo pointed out.

“Excuse me but I don’t throw away old friends when I get new ones like you Seoul people,” Sungjong said somewhat coldly but try as he might, he couldn’t act all rude and offended. No, the seed of warmth was too well planted in him.

They walked around the village under the shady trees and after lunch, they went to the lake to fish. While walking and fishing, Sungjong talked non-stop. Myungsoo was not irritated, it was enchanting to hear his sweet voice drone on and on but it bothered him that Sungjong opened up to strangers too easily.

He will get hurt. He’s practically looking for trouble.

“Sungjong-ah,” Myungsoo called.

“Hmm?” Sungjong asked looking up from his fishing rod.

“What if some bad guys try to hurt you or steal you?” Myungsoo asked looking into his eyes.

“My mom says that everyone in the world is protected by either someone on earth or someone in heaven. And besides, I have a secret weapon. I might tell you about it one day.” He spoke seriously, not blinking even once. Flashing Myungsoo an innocent smile, he went back to his fishing rod.

Myungsoo kept staring at him—half curious, half in love.

Myungsoo spent the rest of the week sticking to Sungjong closely. He felt ashamed that he was competing with Dingdong for Sungjong’s attention. They were neck to neck throughout the day but Myungsoo won at night, when they retired to their beds in Sungjong’s bedroom. Needless to say, Myungsoo had insisted on sharing Sungjong’s room even though there were guest bed rooms in the house.

If it was possible, he was growing even more curious about Sungjong. He had been taken to a lot places, surrounding villages and the closest town, by Sungjong and Dingdong. Of course his most favorite trip was that to the town, where Dingdong couldn’t accompany them. Myungsoo was immensely pleased when Mr. Lee refused to give Sungjong permission to take Dingdong to town. At the same time, he considered seriously if he was becoming crazy.

I shoot murderous glares at a cow! Why am I acting like a jealous lover? And why can’t I figure out Sungjong? He has to be the simplest human I’ve ever met but why can’t I understand him?

Myungsoo went to sleep that weekend even more curious and a little bit more in love.