chaptertwo.

Fate's Intervention

 

A silhouette of the couple hand-in-hand shone beside them as the sun started to set. From the looks of it, they seemed like the perfect couple; a couple fated to be together forever. But that’s never how it really is, is it? The two were in a relationship that was at stake. While strolling through the empty and dimly-lit park, Emma was contemplating whether she should reveal the news. Tyler knew that something was off compared to her usual behaviour. Despite her usual quiet and shy persona, she always had a smile plastered across her face no matter what. But today, it was otherwise. He looked at her and smiled, checking to see if she was alright, but only received a slight smile back from her. They continued walking in silence, until Tyler just couldn’t take it anymore. He stopped their tracks and turned to face her.

“What’s wrong?” he questioned worriedly.

“I...Nothing,” she simply replied.

He didn’t want to continuously bother her, so he decided to let it go even though he was full of concern. He knew that she would eventually tell him when she felt that the time was right, and whenever she was comfortable. He knew her well enough to understand what she would prefer and how to put her at ease. They had already dated for well over half a year, dating back to the day they became a couple.

-flashback-

“Will you... be my girlfriend?” he asked while slightly scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

The girl looked around to check who he was confessing to, but no sight of any other person around was seen.

“Uhm... me?” she asked while pointing to herself.

“Yes, you. Who else would I be asking?” he asked while chuckling at her unusual, but cute response.

She was astounded that such an event would occur; she never expected something like this to happen. She wasn’t the usual type of girl that guys tend to prefer; instead she was more reserved and barely interacted with others except her one best friend. With her friend, she was always a completely different person; someone that wouldn’t be recognized as the usual Emma. She only acted freely when she was with the ones she trusted and felt comfortable with. But in public, she kept her polite and timid attitude in order to live up to the reputation of her family. Her father was the owner of the renowned hotel, Jeju Hotel, in South Korea. While on the other hand, her mother was just a divorced housewife that took care of Emma in Canada.

“Sure...?” she half questioned, rather than answering.

Although she wasn’t really prepared and into the whole dating phase, she still accepted his confession. It wasn’t because she was interested in him, but rather because of her unconfident character. She had a hard time declining others and hated rejecting them. She always felt that it would be too harsh.

-flashback end-

“It’s getting late, I’ll walk you back home.” he stated as he broke the silence.

“Thanks. Should we go out for dinner together tomorrow?” she replied, hoping to get a chance to confess everything again. She originally wanted to tell him everything that night, but couldn’t muster enough courage to do it.

-----

Emma was all dressed and ready to leave for her dinner date. She was wearing a simple off-shoulder black dress that barely covered her knees and revealed her bare shoulders. Her light brown hair was put into soft waves that flowed down to her shoulders. As she waited for her boyfriend, her phone rang.

“Are you ready? I’ll come and pick you up.” the voice on the other side of the phone spoke.

“Uhm..ye- no. Not yet. Come a bit later? Sorry...” she unknowingly lied.

Of course she was physically ready, but she wasn’t mentally. Time was ticking, and the days were passing; today was the day that she had to reveal everything, before it was too late.

-----

She was absentmindedly cutting the steak from the plate that was placed in front of her. She didn’t even have the appetite to eat; instead she was deep in thought.

“...I’m moving to Korea,” she muttered out quickly before she could back out again.

Tyler’s relaxed expression was quickly replaced by confusion and had a hint of anger. She didn’t blame him for such a reaction. Anyone would be mad if they were told on such short notice that their other half were to leave them, right? He was speechless, yet Emma didn’t have enough courage to say anything else, but to apologize.

“I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.” she said repeatedly.

 “W-why? When?” he finally spoke out.

“My father wants me to go to Korea. He wants me to inherit his company... He said I should start studying there and help him out sometimes...” she told him. She honestly was disappointed too when she heard the announcement from her mother. She wasn’t interested in inheriting his business; neither did she want to leave her life here to start a new one in Korea. Although she was originally born in Korea, she already grew accustomed to living In Canada for the past two years.

“Sorry, I didn’t want to...” she apologized once again.

-----

A couple of days passed since Emma last spoke to Tyler. She was on her way to the airport in the black limousine with tinted windows. She looked out the window; she could see others, but they couldn’t see her. In a way, she felt trapped, but there wasn’t anything she could do about it, was there? She saw a blissful couple walking together on the sidewalk, and it immediately reminded her about Tyler.

Sent Message (1)

Sunday, August 9th, 2012/11:32 P.M

To: Park Tyler

“Well... I’m on my way to the airport now. Sorry for

  everything. I’ll miss you. >.<”

 

Unread Message (1)

Sunday, August 9th, 2012/11:34 P.M

From: Park Tyler

“Oh...  already? You should’ve told me... I would’ve driven

  you there. It’s okay, it wasn’t your fault. I’ll miss you too.

  Let’s keep in touch. :]”

 

She felt guilty; she felt undeserving. She had the ‘perfect’ boyfriend; smart, nice, caring, protective, and rich. He was someone that girls would ever dream of having, but to her, he was nothing more than a friend. Maybe at most, a brother. She never felt anything special between the two of them. Even when she was in his company, she felt lonely. She knew he deserved much more than her; he deserved someone that cherished him back. Maybe this whole occasion was a chance for both of them to find a new path in life. A happier life...fate.

-----

She was comfortably seated in the high-class seat of the plane with her personal bodyguard in the seat behind her. The lights above her flashed, signalling for her buckle her seatbelt. Soon after the voice of a flight attendant filled the plane, warning that the flight would soon start. Shortly, the plane started to move, and slowly ascended towards the sky. As the plane got further from ‘home’, she thought to herself, “From now on, I'm Lee Yoon Hee.”

---

It's just the intro, so sorry if its boring. >.<

-Ayunah