Chapter 1

Fate's Intervention

 

"I've...decided to study abroad in Korea"

The boy twisted around to look at the girl, who was wistfully looking onto the lake. Her tinted orange hair softly dancing to the wind's rhythm. They had been sitting along the riverside just taking in the refreshing cool breeze when the girl had spoken up.

"...what?"

The girl turned to him and looked straight into his brown eyes.

"I'm going to Korea", she stated firmly.

"You can't. It's too sudden." the boy firmly stated and glared at her, his anger igniting.

The girl looked away, sighing loudly. She had known all along that he would never let her go, she was too "precious" to him. She had grown tired of him. He had never once thought of what she wanted and was always concerned about what was "good for her". Who would've known that what he considered "good for her" was spending every waking moment – when she wasn't at home or in her classes – with him. The only reason she had agreed to becoming his girlfriend was strictly the fact that he was too persistent. She had only agreed to stop his pestering, but agreeing had only made things harder for her. The boys wouldn't talk to her the next day at school, and the girls steered clear of her too. Later on, she found out that her new boyfriend had threatened the boys to stay away from her and while he was at it, he even told off the girls that if they ever insulted or talked down to her, they'd never know what hit them.

"It's not sudden. I've always been telling you how I'm getting out of here, right? You even told me that I was right to think like that"

"I never thought you'd actually go! And so suddenly too! I'm your boyfriend, I should have a say in this too!", his boiling temper causing him to start yelling.

The girl winced, but quickly recovered.

"...you knew from the start how I felt about you. You can't deny it. Even when we first became a couple, I told you straight-up that I didn't like you and that I only agreed because you wouldn't give up", the girl forcefully said.

"What are you talking about! We got together because we liked each other!", he gripped her arms, only to have her push him away.

She scoffed. He was always under the delusion that she liked him.

"You know, I didn't want to do this but you leave me no choice", her voice taking a pained edge to it.

She hated using the bodyguards, but this was a special circumstance. If this wasn't dealt with now, this problem would surely follow her to Korea where her new life awaited. There was no way that she would let him come after her and ruin her long-awaited trip out of the dull city of Ottawa. Anywhere would have been better than the city she had lived in her whole life. Korea was a perfect choice, seeing as she was always talking to her parents in Korean.

Men and woman that had seemed to be casually taking walks, or just enjoying the scenery had sprung forward and pinned the boy to the ground, leaving him shocked, and surprisingly, frightened. Who would have known that he was the type that got scared so easily?

"You don't even know what I'm capable of. I can probably get you kicked out of school and scorned for the rest of your life if I wanted",  None of her classmates or even her teachers knew about who she was ,"I'm not someone that you can mess with", her voice taking on a resigned tone near the end. Hopefully this would get him to leave her alone once and for all.

She was the sole heir to her father's multinational corporation, as cliché as that sounded. She hid the fact from the public, and had never appeared at any of the social events that her father had attended for a reason. She didn't want to be surrounded by the phony smiles or the people catering to her every need. She knew what the cost of that kind of fame would do to her. All she wanted was to stay herself. She had seen what power and fame could do to a person. It wasn't anything she wanted to experience first-hand.

The boy was frozen in shock, taking in what had just happened. Never in his life had something like that happened in his life, and judging by the girl's tone and facial expression, he knew that she wasn't lying. He was scared for his life. He finally snapped out of his trance and struggled against the men and women that held him against the ground to no prevail.

"Swear that you won't ever approach me again. Say both my name and your name – this is gunna be recorded so that you won't try anything else in the future", the girl took a tape recorder from her pocket and switched it on.

Under normal circumstances, the boy wouldn't take this kind of attitude from her, but this was not a situation that seemed favourable at all, so he conceded.

"I-I, Alex Day, will never approach you, Autumn Lee, ever again ", he timidly said, hoping that she was happy with what he had said.

Autumn switched the recorder off, satisfied and feeling as if a heavy burden had been lifted off her shoulders.

"Ok. Thanks for the help guys. You can let him go now"

The moment he was freed, he scrambled away.

Autumn watched him and couldn't help but laugh even though she did feel bad about what she had just made him experience.

_  _  _  _  _  _  _

Autumn looked through the window of the plane. She was finally leaving. The nights she had spent dreaming of leaving to somewhere new and exciting seemed so far away now. She couldn't wait to get there, and sat there, smiling out the window. This was a big event for her. It meant that she could finally get out of the mundane and repetitive life she had. She could say goodbye to all the people she couldn't stand and start a new life somewhere else. All her worries, her regrets, and her whole life had taken place here in this tiny part of the world. This was it.

From now on, I'll be known as Lee Min Ae