Off to Camp

Crossing Your Path

 

A week had past since the first day of summer. Unfortunately, the girls had done nothing productive.

The friends were currently relaxing together at Chorong's house. Naeun and Eunji were sprawled on the bed, Bomi and Yookyung hogged the chairs in front of the computer, and Chorong, Hayoung, and Namjoo were stuck on the floor watching TV.

Suddenly, Bomi stood up from her position, causing the chair to fall on the floor and her friends to look up at her in wonder.

"Oh my goodness," she said slowly while staring at the screen of the computer. "Oh my goodness."

Namjoo looked at Bomi with a concerned expression. "What's wrong, unnie?" she asked. Bomi opened and closed . Her eyes widened two times larger than the usual size.

"The world is ending on December 21,2012," she said in a disbelieving tone. She stood frozen on her spot.

Hayoung got up and looked at the screen herself. “Oh, you are right, unnie, the Mayans predicted it.”

Despite being talked to, Bomi did not reply. “Are you alright, Unnie?” Yookyung asked. “Though there is no reason why you should be surprised. I mean, do you even believe in it?”

Naeun nodded in agreement. “I agree with Yookyung. That type of news is completely false.”

“But unnie, if it is true, then this news could affect many future plans,” Namjoo butted in. “I mean, Sunye and her boyfriend are getting married next year."

Eunji stood up and nodded at Namjoo’s direction. “I agree with Namjoo,” she said. “I mean, even Block B’s U-Kwon still has a long future with-"

 “STOP!” six heads immediately turned to the owner of that one voice. Chorong was standing in the middle of the room with one hand on her waist while the other was squeezed shut.

“What are you doing, girls?” she asked them while using the strict tone which she used only when necessary. “Answer me!” she shouted after a tensed silence.

“No-nothing, Chorong unnie,” Hayoung answered nervously. The other five nodded in agreement. “We were doing nothing,” they chorused.

Chorong sighed while massaging her temple. “Exactly. You girls are doing nothing. Nothing productive at all.”

The six other girls glanced at each other nervously. “Why is that so important, Chorong?” Eunji asked, breaking the silence. “I mean, it is summer.”

Chorong shook her head in disapproval. “Eunji, it's serious because every action, or lack of action, has a resulting consequence,” she answered knowingly. “Be grateful that I already have a solution to your laziness.”

The six girls looked uncertainly at each other, and then at their leader. "What do you mean by that, unnie?" they asked.

Chorong looked directly into the eyes of each and every one of her friends.

“We are going to camp.”

 

------

 

 

Hayoung looked out the window. The scenery was slowly changing from urban to suburban. She would not be surprised if a cow suddenly came in to view.

"Why am I even here in the first place?" she wondered. Her thoughts came back to the previous days when Chorong made her firm announcement. "Oh yeah, because unnie," she thought solemnly.

The bus suddenly jerked forward as it hit an unexpected hump. "Ouch!" Hayoung exclaimed as her head hit the chair in front of her."That hurt."

At that moment, she heard someone scoff as if that person was mocking her pain. Hayoung turned back to find the owner of the sound. The only person who was not talking, laughing or simply playing around was a man looking out of the window.

He must be the culprit.

After a few seconds of looking at him, the man seemed to sense Hayoung's actions, and he turned to find the owner of the eyes.

Deep, dark orbs engulfed Hayoung's complete attention. For what seemed like an hour, the two looked at each other. Never before had Hayoung been more interested in someone's eyes than then. Never before had she stared at someone for so long.

Finally, she broke the gaze and looked away. Maybe he wasn't the one who laughed at me; I  must have been imagining things. 

"I like the mysterious aura around him," Hayoung admitted to herself quietly. She tried to look discreet as she turned back yet again to stare at the man. Even though it was a gamble, she did not mind as she heard his seatmate speak the next general, yet completely informative, question.

"Hoya hyung, are you smiling?"

 

------

 

As soon as Chorong sat on her seat, she fell asleep. The only reason why she woke up was because she heard her seatmate talking to herself.

Chorong rubbed her eyes. "What are you doing, Hayoung?" she asked when she saw the maknae's head turned to the back.

As if she had done something wrong, Hayoung immediately defended herself. "Nothing unnie! I wasn't doing anything wrong." Satisfied with the answer, Chorong left the maknae to continue staring at whatever she was looking at.

After a few minutes of boredom however, Chorong decided to bother the younger girl again to ask her a question. "Hayoungie, Yookyung and Naeun are right behind us, right?" 

Hayoung did not even look at her unnie when she answered, "Yeah, yeah, if you say they are." Satisfied yet again with the answer, Chorong immediately sat up on her seat so that she now faced the back. 

"HELLO!" she shouted at whom she believed was her friends. However, the next second she immediately regretted her sudden outburst. It was not her friends who returned the greeting.

"Um, hello?" The guy from the arcade stared at her as if she were the most random person on earth, which in reality, she was.

Chorong could have died right there.

 

------

 

Yookyung got off the bus the as soon as the doors opened.  She breathed in the clean, fresh air. "Much better," she said.

Right in front of Yookyung was the camp area. The buses were parking in a field which was next to a dirt clearing. Right in front of the clearing was a huge building which had a banner on it saying "Mess Hall" and on each side of it were multiple smaller cabins which were most probably the houses where the campers were to sleep in for the incoming months.

A few meters away from the mess hall was an equally big building which was most probably the place where extra indoor activities were to be held. Also, if one even tried to strain his eyes, a few commercial buildings were visible in the distance.

"Don't you like this place?" Chorong, who came out after her, asked. "My parents are friends with the director of this camp."
 
Yookyung looked around once again. "I do like it, so can I walk around to explore more of the place, unnie?" she asked.
 
Chorong nodded. "Sure, but don't get lost before anything even started," she said before walked away.
 
Yookyung distanced herself from the numerous campers who were arriving with their own bus. Other than the camp area,  most of everything else was nature. Multiple trees and fields surrounded the place, and about a mile away, a lake was located. Over-all, the peace of the area made Yookyung not regret her decision to follow Chorong's plan.
 
"Don't you like it here?" The sudden voice startled Yookyung. She turned around to face the person standing behind her.
  
A boy with straight black hair, bright eyes, and rosy cheeks greeted her sight. His lips curved up to form a smile more radiant than his eyes.
 
"Yookyung-ah, is it by coincidence that we meet here after the seeing each other in the cafe?" he asked, his stare on her not wavering.
 
Yookyung felt her body stiffen. "I'm sorry," she stated while trying to avoid the conversation, "but I have to go."
 
The boy's smile dropped as he grabbed Yookyung's arm to stop her from departing. "Don't abandon me like how you did in the cafe," he stated in a deadly serious tone. 
  
Yookyung brought her eyes up to meet his. 
   
"I wasn't the first to leave."
 
                                                                                                                                                                        
 
Is anyone else a fan of Lunafly?
 
Please also check out my friend's story:

 

 

credits to ❝young and stupid❞ feat. EXO「trailer shop」