A Glance by the Street

Crossing Your Path

 

 

 

“Can we sit down unnies? I’m a bit tired,” Hayoung asked.

Naeun nodded while Namjoo smiled. “Sure, we’re all exhausted anyways,” one of the two said.

They made their way to a park and sat down under the shade of a tree.

Kids ran around the area, shouting at their friends. Birds flew swiftly in the sky, and the air was cool despite the sun being out.

At an atmosphere as serene and pleasant as it was, it was no wonder why the maknaes fell asleep almost instantly, resting on each other’s shoulders.

Naeun looked down at the calm faces of her friends. Waking them up was not an open option for her. Instead, she decided to join in the peace, and let her mind wander about personal matters, problems even.

The harmonious atmosphere went on for a few minutes until a commotion in the distance was made. Screams of girls were suddenly heard, and the noise got louder as the crowd approached.

What's happening? Naeun thought as she craned her neck to look at the people gathering. More and more people from all directions were running to that one place.

Why are they crowding around there? Did they catch a criminal or something? Will Namjoo and Hayoung be safe? Naeun furiously wondered. 

Naeun stood up. "I'll have to go check myself then," she muttered to herself.

“Take care of her well, alright? Don’t let her out of your sight and you cannot go anywhere while I’m gone,” Naeun silently told the still-sleeping Namjoo.

"I'm scared that you guys might get hurt by whatever those people are looking at, so I'll hurry up and come back." she added. And with that, she left the maknaes.

 

----------

 

Naeun made her way through the tight crowd, pushing and pulling any girl that got in her way. Shouting and protests were heard everywhere.

"Yah! Watch where you're going!"

"Stop pushing me!"

"Don't block my way, I can't see-"

"Him?" Naeun finally managed to make it to the front of the crowd. However, she was slightly surprised by what she saw.

Instead of a robber or kidnapper caught in handcuffs by the police or those in the crowd, a boy her age was stuck in the multitude, being forced into hugs or pictures.

"Who is he?" Naeun asked mainly to herself. However, a girl beside her happened to hear the question.

The random girl turned to face her, clearly in shock. "Who's he?" she started "Who is he? Who is he? How could you not know!" she asked, her voice raising.

"That man is like, the biggest actor in Korea! He's like, the hottest celebrity in the whole world! He's like, my husband, even if he doesn't know it yet!" she said, evidently exasperated.

Naeun nodded, keeping her calm facade. In the inside though, she was becoming exceedingly annoyed with the rant.

"So, he's not a criminal or anything like that?" she asked.

Naeun looked down at the girl's shirt. A large letter L was plastered on it. She must like her alphabet a lot, she thought.

"A criminal?" the girl asked with dropping, her shock increasing by the second. "How in the world could-" she started to say, but suddenly paused. If could drop any lower, it did.

Naeun followed the girl's gaze. Right then, the man in the center of attention broke away from the many arms trying to entangle him, and walked directly to Naeun's path.

The girl beside her continued to gasp and fangirl to herself, thinking that he was going to her.

Is he going this way?He must be cool enough to make this girl shut up, Naeun thought.

Just when he was only a few steps away from them though, Naeun backed off and left the crowd, leaving everyone who saw her in shock.

I'm going nowhere near that fake guy, she thought as she calmly walked away from the scene, as if meeting a celebrity happened everyday. 

Whether the man was going to Naeun and why, remains a mystery which she may never know.

May never know.

 

---

 

"Omo!" Namjoo exclaimed as she woke up from her slumber, "I need to use the washroom." 

She turned to look at Hayoung, who was still asleep. Namjoo glanced around. Naeun was nowhere in sight. 

Unnie's probably just  a walking distance around. Either way, I'll be back soon, she thought as she ran towards the nearest washroom.

 

Namjoo sighed in relief. "That was close," she said to herself. Looking around, Namjoo saw a huge crowd on one side of the street. 

I wonder what's happening, she thought. Oh well! I'll just check out that baker's store in the corner, that is definitely more interesting.

Namjoo ran inside the said store. When she got in, her eyes widened in amazement.

Everything a cook would need and want was inside the shop. Glistening knives, measuring cups, strainers, and whisks were put together on one side, while flour, butter, milk, chocolates, and every other possible cooking or baking ingredients were stacked together on the other side.

Namjoo's mouth hung open. "I want all of these," she muttered to herself.

But I should controle myself.

 As she was debating whether she should leave or not, a man stood in front of her.

"Excuse me," he said. "but I really need to get going, and your kind of blocking the door."

Namjoo took a look at the man. His eyes were blocked by his sunglasses, and his hair was covered by a cap. However, he was sporting a bright and clear smile.

"Oh, I'm sorry, " Namjoo said timidly as she took a step to the side. "here, go ahead." The man smiled and walked out of the shop.

Namjoo continued to watch where the man was going.

He went up to a certain truck and talked to the driver. She noticed that the vehicle was being loaded with multiple boxes coming from the back of the very store which she was in. 

The man shook hands with the driver and then left in his own, sleak car.  

He bought so many things from here, Namjoo thought. He must either own this place or be really well off.

 

----

 

Hayoung finally woke up. The first thing she noticed was the lack of presence of her unnies.

She turned her head to the left and to the right, but her friends were not there.

"Where did Namjoo and Naeun unnie go to? Did they just leave me here?" she asked herself.

After a few seconds of debating with herself, Hayoung decide to stay where she was.

I'm scared, she thought, but I'm sure they'll come back for me. I trust them. 

Since she was bored, Hayoung started to pick the flowers and grass around her. If anyone saw her then, they would have thought that she was an extremely strange sight.

Her back was notably straight and her eyes were unmoving. She was either deep in thought or slightly psychotic. 

Suddenly, Hayoung shifted her gaze. 

In the far corner of the park, she saw an almost unnoticeable figure of a man move. If she was not wrong, the person was looking at her direction.

Hayoung decided to approach the stranger. Maybe he saw where the unnies went, she thought.

But as she took two steps from her position, she heard a loud shout coming from the opposite direction.

"Yah, Kim Namjoo! Did you just leave Hayoung alone?!" Naeun's voice could be heard within a one mile radius.

"I thought you were with her, unnie!" she heard Namjoo whine.

Hayoung turned her attention back to the figure, but the person was gone.

"That's odd," she said while pouting. "Where did he go? I wanted to approach him."

As much as she willed herself not to, Hayoung could not get the figure out of her thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok guys, I'm done with the "introduction" part of the story.

Also, do you know this song? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvIJb8PKmQQ

Yes, I know I'm a bit late :P