A Glimpse in the Arcade

Crossing Your Path

 

                                                                                         

"One, two, three, POSE!" Chorong and Eunji shouted as the two made a sign with their hands in time for the automatic camera to take their picture. The two got out of the small booth and laughed at each other's expressions.

"What's that Eunji-yah? Your eyes are so big!" Chorong teased as she pointed to the first picture.

"Not as big as your cheeks, unnie," she countered as she directed her finger to the last picture. Both laughed, each not taking the other's insults personally. 

"Hey unnie, let's go play in that thing!" Eunji exclaimed as she pointed at a game on the other side of the arcade. "All you have to do is shoot the targets with the balls."

Chorong grinned. "Sure, I'll take the challenge, but I'm so going to beat you!"   

She said the statement with confidence, but ended up losing in the end. Very badly, I must add.

Chorong pouted. "Not fair Eunji! You must have cheated!"

Eunji was going to retort back when Chorong interrupted her and quickly pointed at another game. "Let's play that one," she said. "Get ready Jung Eunji, I'll beat you there for sure!"

But even after playing that game, and the other ones such as a dancing game, a drumming game, a racing game, and even an arm strength game with the hammer, Chorong still lost against the younger girl

Eunji grinned victoriously. "I'm just going to trade these tickets with prizes, alright unnie? Wait for me here!" she said happily bafore she skipped away. 

 

----------

 

"I'm really weak at these type of activities," Chorong sighed.

She scanned the arcade looking for something worth her attention while waiting for Eunji to come back. Her eyes stopped wandering as she spotted a man around her age playing the 'shoot the ball into the hoop' game. 

Every shot of his went perfectly through the basket. One after the other, right through the middle of the hoop, every shot went through.

Chorong watched with immense interest. Not only was the boy gifted with a clear and amazing talent, but, she couldn't deny, his looks were attractive. Absolutely eye-catching. Even at side view.

The game then ended, and the boy, as expected, reached the highest score of the day.

Chorong continued to watch as he pumped his fists in the air and shouted with glee. A crowd started to gather around him. Some were workers, but most were girls. She felt an unexpected frown crawl up her face.

Chorong shook her head, trying not to think of the unknown, yet annoying, gnawing feeling that she had. 

What the heck is wrong with you, Chorong? she thought.

You don't even know who that guy is. Stop thinking of him. Look away now.

But she could not avert her attention.

 

 

----------

 

 

Eunji skipped all the way to the desk of the arcade where she can get her prize.

"Ahjussi, can I have that black bear on top? I think I have enough tickets for that!"

The worker looked up from what he was doing. "Oh, that one?" he asked. "I hope you do, because that bear's worth a lot!"

As the worker was reaching for her request, Eunji noticed a presence beside her. She tried to look at the person discreetly.

Eunji did a double-take. Not only was the man standing with his back completely straight, with his arms stuck to his side, and wearing completely wrinkle-free clothes, but he was staring directly at Eunji, his gaze piercing right through her.

She turned away. The man was absolutely intimidating.

At that moment, the ahjussi came back with her potential prize and started counting her available tickets. Eunji tried to keep her attention on that instead.

"Oh, miss!" he exclaimed sadly. "You're lacking tickets ... I'm afraid you'll have to choose a different prize now."

Eunji felt blood rushing to her face both because of embarrassment and disappointment. "Oh, is that how it is? I see then..." she sighed. "I'll just choose-"

But she was interrupted by the guy standing beside her. "If the situation is like this, I'll get that bear instead, sir."

And without wasting any movements, he took out a bunch of tickets, and placed them on the table. "Is this enough, sir?" he asked. "If so, I'll take my prize, sir."

The man took the bear with one swift movement, and left without an extra word. Eunji was stuck in her place, feeling both angry and confused. He didn't have to take it that way. It was just rude.

Eunji was about to choose another prize when the ahjussi called her attention. "He left a whole lot of tickets here, miss. And by the looks of it, he won't be returning.Why would he leave these behind?" 

The worker tried calling his attention. "I guess you can have these now then, young lady," the ahjussi said as he came back from calling the retreating man. "It seems like he has no need of the extra tickets."

Eunji took in what the worker said. "So that means that I...I can get the bear?" she asked in disbelief.

The worker smiled a toothy smile. "We have an extra white one if you would want it."

Eunji grinned. "Thank you, ahjussi! I'll take care of it well!" she squealed with delight.

As she got her prize, Eunji forgot about the odd man.

But he did not seem to forget her.  

 

---------

 

A few minutes later, Eunji went back to where she left Chorong. 

She tapped her unnie's arm. "Look, unnie! Don't you think this bear is cute?" But as Chorong was not listening to her, she turned to see what the older girl was giving her attention to. "Oh, what's happening there? Why is there a crowd? Is a celebrity here?"

Chorong snapped back into reality. "Oh, Eunji! You're here! What did you just say?"

The younger looked back at the older girl skeptically. "Nothing unnie. Hey, let's just leave already, the others might be waiting for us."

Chorong nodded and the two made their way to the exit. 

"What took you so long, Eunji?" she asked as they were in front of the door.

"I took long?" she asked questioningly. Chorong shook her head. "Nevermind. I was just thinking to myself."

But what Chorong and Eunji did not know was that two guys were looking at their retreating figures.

And they looked without averting their eyes.

 

 

 

credits to malovelyboo for the poster