The End of the Year

Crossing Your Path

 

"Five," the students started counting.

"Four." The atmosphere started building.

"Three." The mood started towering.

"Two." The excitement started heightening.

"One!" students and teachers alike shouted the final countdown.

The class was a mess. Papers were being thrown into the air as a sign of the start of freedom. Girls were opening their arms out for their other girl friends to hug, and boys high-fived each other, congratulating the fact that they were able to pass the grade. 

It was this day when formalties between a sunbae and hoobae were dropped. It was this day when students mercilessly teased the teachers about their plans for the upcoming months. It was this day when students could finally get away from the suffocation of the endless days in school.

It was the start of summer.

 

                                                                                          ,,,

 

A group of seven girls were making their way home after the excitement of the morning. 

"School is finally over!" Eunji shouted, pumping her fists in the air. The friends laughed and agreed with her statement. 

"I'm so happy! We can actually rest!" Bomi added as she grabbed the arms of the person whom she was nearest to and forced that person to jump around with her. 

"But unnie, it's not good for you to forget your lessons over the break," Yookyung, who was unfortunately caught up in Bomi's act, reminded her as she forced the older girl to calm down.

"Gosh Yookyung," Namjoo started to say while grinning, "you're too serious. I mean, relax! It's summer!"

Yookyung pouted. "I'm not," she muttered silently to herself. The friends laughed at her reaction. "It was a joke, a joke," Namjoo reassured her while continuing to chuckle.

At that moment, the girls stopped in front of a busy road. Chorong turned to her friends and asked,"Since it is the start of summer, why don't we lay back a little, girls?"

Immediately, she was able to see the reactions of her friends. Each matched her personality. Some looked ecstatic; the others looked indifferent. "But what is there to do, Chorong unnie?" Naeun asked curiously. "I mean, I don't find anything interesting to do."

Chorong shrugged. "I don't know. And for once, I don't exactly care. I just want to finally get all the strain off my back! Exam week was absolutely horrible." She sighed.

Hayoung shook her head. She placed her hand on Chorong's shoulder as a sign of comfort and understanding. "Unlucky unnie, your highschool is stricter than ours. But look on the bright side, at least you graduated!" Chorong smiled sweetly at the maknae before turning to face the rest of her friends. 

"Let's split into teams so that we won't look especially odd when we enter a store, ok? We look weird enough!" she said while shaking her head in disapproval and embarrassment. 

Eunji grinned. "I'll stay with Yookyung today!" she said as she grabbed her arm. Yookyung tried to shake her off. "Unnie, I have a reason to save money, remember?"

The older girl pouted. "Oh ... then I'll stay with Hayoungie!!" She grabbed the maknae's arm in a flash. Hayoung shook her head in instantaneous disapproval. "I'm not giving in to your aegyo this time unnie," she said firmly.

Chorong sighed. "We're drawing lots so that everything will be fair." 

 

                                                                                   

                                                                                            ,,,     

 

"Omo! Yookyung let's go to that store!" Bomi pointed at a cafe nearby. Yookyung shook her head in disapproval.

"That place is over priced," she started, "but I know a better place to go to. It's cheap and the food is certainly recommendable."

Bomi brightened up. "Then let's go there already Yookyung-ah! Let's go, go, go!" 

Yookyung smiled at the expression of the girl whom she was paired up with. She led the way in to an area which was somewhat more secluded than the one that they were originally in. The two arrived at the cafe, and immediately, Yookyung was flooded with memories which she held of her last summer. She remembered the feeling of working in her first job, what her daily routine was, and of course, whom she had worked with. 

"What are you waiting for, Yookyung ah?" Bomi asked, breaking her train thoughts. "Let's go in!" The younger girl merely nodded.

The pair entered the now empty cafe, and Bomi's face lit up immediately when she saw the numerous kinds of cakes being displayed. She ran over to inspect them more clearly. Yookyung followed, but she was happy for an entirely different reason. 

"Ahjumma!" the latter shouted as she neared the woman. "I kept my promise and came to visit!" The lady looked up to see who owned the excited voice. She had straight black hair, bright eyes, and although she was aging, the older woman had noticeable rosy cheeks. She reminded Yookyung very much of a certain someone.

"Is that you, Yookyung? Oh, it is! I'm so glad you're here!" She clapped her hands. 

"I'm happy too, Ahjumma! I wanted to come by earlier, but my schedule was full. At least I came today though. I even brought my friend!" Yookyung stated as she pulled the distracted Bomi to her side and pointed at her.

"Mrs. Lee, this is Bomi. Bomi, this is Mrs. Lee, the owner of this store, and my past boss." She introduced the two.

The two exchanged greetings and they immediately seemed to click. They talked about everything, food being the main topic.

"The chocolate cake is the best!" Mrs. Lee advertised. "It is a recipe which my whole family enjoyed for generations."

"It is? Then I'll get a slice of it then! How much is it, Ahjumma?" Bomi asked, interest evident.

Mrs. Lee shook her head while smiling. "You're lucky, it's on the house today!"

Bomi gasped. "Is it, really? Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed while jumping up and down. "I'm so happy!"

Mrs. Lee smiled. "No need to thank me. The cake was baked by my son, so it is already very special."

By her son? Yookyung thought as she listened to the conversation. He baked it?

"Oh, and Yookyung, you'll get a slice as well, I suppose?" Mrs. Lee asked her, breaking her train of thoughts. "Please take it. I am yet to thank you for your service last year."

Yookyung smiled. "It was really no problem, Ahjumma."

After the short exchange, Yookyung made her way to the table which Bomi had occupied only a few seconds before.

"Woah, this guy looks so cool!" Bomi said out loud to Yookyung. "Too bad he looks like the type who's only good looking. I'm not so sure about his personality."

Yookyung peered over at the magazine which Bomi had taken out. "Super Junior's main dancer, Eunhyuk?" she asked. Bomi nodded but frowned. "No one knows who to trust nowadays. I mean, look at that! Do you know what the age difference is? 7 years!"

 

( Author's Note : Yes guys, THIS picture )

 

 

"So the point is?" Yookyung asked.

"I'm still waiting for my very own prince charming," Bomi started, "the one who'll look only at me, and the one who won't create scandals by hanging out with other girls even if they're sick and ask for a visit. No matter what, we will match perfectly," she sighed.

Yookyung smiled. "So did you find him yet? I mean, you must have seen somewhat close to your type."

"No." Bomi sighed. "But once I do find him, he will be the only one for-"

The conversation was cut short by the announcement of their orders arriving.

"Kamsahamnida," Yookyung started to say before she looked up and gasped. 

"Sungyeol-shii?"

 

 

 

 

_______

 

Hmm...Why did I put Eunhyuk and IU's picture in this chapter? I'm not sure myself :)  I just wanted to have some fuuun!

But seriously, this fast chapter does not end here. 

 

 

I'll just post the next one soon!