Chapter 05

Living in Fears

 

A day has passed since that night she met Amber at Hearts, all Krystal had in mind was whether if she will meet Amber again.

“No! I need to concentrate.” Krystal slaps both side of her face to get her mind clear, she was sitting in the library researching for her project but nothing was done. The phone on the table suddenly vibrated and the caller Id showed Donghae.

“Donghae oppa.” Krystal greeted her cousin.

“Krystal, last time you told me find the address of the orphanage, I’ve got it. But...” Donghae hesitated to continue.

“What happened?” Krystal was eager to know.

“A couple of years ago because of an accident the orphanage got burnt down.” Donghae reported back his finding.

Krystal froze eyes still and mouth opened, her phone was sliding down in between her hand and face. Images of Yiyun ran through her mind and questions like whether she’s alive or not was questioned.

“Krystal? Are you there?” Donghae’s voice faintly echoed through the phone.

-------------------------

The three of them were in Amber’s room they were currently discussing the plan for tonight to capture Lee Joon.

“The guy Hangeng you mention earlier this morning, he’s the one who’s looking after DDS right now, as you know he is the son of Han’s boss and Han is the largest mafia organisation in China.” Henry spoke as what he knows. He then continues “I’ve did a research he’s going to be at DDS club tonight.”

“Then Henry and I will look out for Lee Joon while Amber you go look for Hangeng to ask for some help.” Key suggested and the other two nodded in agreement.

 “They will have security guards at the door so we can’t carry a gun with us but I’ve already told Zhou Mi to put 3 guns in bathroom’s bin.”

“Alright!” Key jumped in excitement.

The three agreed on the plan and headed out to DDS club. Once they got outside of the entrance of DDS club two security guards were standing there checking Ids and scanning each customer. The three of them stood in queue. Without any trouble they got inside safely and they separated, Amber went to the VIP section as what Henry told her beforehand where Hangeng might be while Key and Henry were getting the guns that Zhou Mi snugged in before anyone else finds them.

Amber went up to the second level where the VIP rooms were but she never knew there were more security guards standing there.

“Excuse me? Do you have a VIP pass?” One of the security guard raised his arm to stop Amber from moving further.

Just when Amber was thinking a way to get pass the two security guards she saw Hangeng walked passed. She quickly shouted “Hangeng-ge!” (ge means older brother in Chinese) Amber wanted to reach to Hangeng but immediately blocked by the two security guards. Amber shouted a couple of more times but it was useless as the music was over taking her voice, without thinking much Amber kneed one of the security guard and punched the other one. She managed to get through them and immediately approach Hangeng, but before getting him she was once stopped again by his bodyguards.

“Hangeng-ge!” Amber once again shouted.

The bodyguard grimaced when he stopped Amber from approaching his boss. Amber tried to struggle through but the bodyguard was too tough. The little commotion has captured Hangeng’s attention and he turned to see what’s happening.

“Yi...yun?” He said unsurely.

Hangeng then wavered his hand showing a sign to his bodyguards to release Amber. Once they saw the hand sign they immediately released Amber and Amber walked up to Hangeng facing him.

“Hangeng-ge it’s me Yiyun!” Amber said it loudly over the loud music.

A smile formed on Hangeng’s face as he slaps two hands on Amber’s shoulders. “It’s really you!” After confirming the person in front was his long-not-seen buddy he pulls her for a buddy embrace. “Here, come in and we’ll catch up.” Hangeng wraps his arm around Amber’s shoulder as he pulled her in the VIP room that he was about to entered.

The room was sound proof therefore once they were inside they didn’t need to scream at each other anymore and could talk normally.

“Oh my god! I thought I never will see you again.” Hangeng’s arm was still around Amber’s as he seated down on the sofa. “So why are you here?” He slaps his hand on Amber’s shoulder, Amber has gotten used to his habit of slapping people’s unintentionally although it really hurts.

“Hangeng-ge I’m going get straight to the point, I’m here because I need your help.”

“If it’s anything within my limit I’m willing to help you.”

“Thank you. I need to find this guy we got information that he comes here a lot recently.” Amber took out a photo of Lee Joon and showed to Hangeng.

Hangeng took the photo and glanced at it he shook his head and curled his mouth. Afterward he handed the photo to one of his follower and ordered “Tell the guys to look out for this guy.” The follower took the photo and bowed before leaving the room.

“So how were the years working with Victoria in Korea?” Hangeng slaps Amber on the back this time and Amber coughed in pain.

“Victoria-jie (jie means older sister in Chinese) treats me really nice.” Amber answered back.

Hangeng and Amber started to have their own catch up conversation after not seeing each other for 2 years. Amber was one of the very few people that Hangeng treats as a real friend because of an event that happened a few years ago.

*Flashback*

“Kids, you’re in China now. You all are sold to me. If you want to survive then you must do what I say, otherwise you’ll end up like that fatso you saw earlier.” The guy was referring Shindong who was killed when he tried to escape.

After Kibum and Yiyun were sold to China to work for the Han organisation, Yiyun began to learn a new way of living. While working for the Han she discovered that these guys go around picking up kids who are left alone and ship them to China to do tough work earning money for the organisation. The girls would be sent to be es while the boys are sent to be thieves or swindlers. Yiyun was lucky that no one discovered she was a female except for Kibum.

It was a day where the boys were sent to meet the boss, and the boss in control of this business was Hangeng. As Yiyun and Kibum stood in one line, the boys introduced themselves one by one to Hangeng. When it was Yiyun’s turn, once Hangeng heard the Chinese name ‘Yiyun’, a smile grew on his face as he took extra look at this little boy. He threw his right hand and slapped twice on Yiyun’s shoulder hard, which was the first time Hangeng slapped Yiyun.

The place Yiyun and Kibum lived in was a small and old apartment which was cramped with 8 other people. There wasn’t enough beds provided so Yiyun and Kibum slept together in one bed, Yiyun couldn’t care much since surviving comes in first place and she believes Kibum won’t do anything to her. Their life in China begins, each day they will be given jobs to do, each job will have a certain paid but of course if they are favoured by one of those guys you would be given a higher paid job. But if they don’t accomplish it they would get punished and punishment are worse than dying from what been heard.

At first because of their lack of Chinese, Yiyun and Kibum were assigned to jobs like pickpocketing and shoplifting. A lot of times they were caught as they don’t have the skills, they often get beaten up and every time they would carry bruises back to their apartment. Through their punishment and process of beaten up the two learnt the surviving way. They learned in order to survive they had to be a little selfish.

Soon Yiyun and Kibum were like the best partners out of all the other kids they accomplish their jobs quick and clean without leaving any messes. Hangeng was very impress on these two where he started to favours the two more and giving them better jobs to accomplish. As time pasts Yiyun and Kibum were like buddies to Hangeng, they are ones he trust the most.

It has already been 2 years since they worked for the Han’s. They are now able to speak Chinese fluently and understand it without any troubles. One day Yiyun’s phone rang and caller Id indicated ‘Hangeng’. She picked up her phone and a shaky voice was heard from the other side.

“Yi..yun, where are you now?”

“I just passed Crowns Hotel. Why?” Yiyun questioned back.

“You gotta help me.”

It was then explained through the phone that Hangeng was having an affair with Zhang Li Yin, wife of Li Don, a millionaire in China. Although he is just a business man but he certainly has the power to make someone to disappear in China. Li Don found out his wife was having an affair with another guy at Crown Hotel and is now bringing his men to capture them red handed. Zhang Li Yin received the news from her servant. Hangeng didn’t know what to do he panicked as he couldn’t think of who to call for help other than Yiyun. If his father finds out Hangeng couldn’t imagine what may happen to him, he might be sent to the countryside to farm for the rest of his life.

In the fastest pace Yiyun and Kibum ran to Crowns Hotel to where Hangeng was. She stopped in front of room 205 and knocked on the door. It took a couple of seconds until the door was opened, opening a small gap Hangeng peeked through to see if it was Yiyun. Once he confirms it was them he opens wide to let them in.

“Yiyun what should I do?” Hangeng was half dressed and sweats formed on his face.

Hangeng shakes Yiyun hard as he panicked, Zhang Li Yin calmly stood aside as she though this does not relate to her. Just when Yiyun was trying to think fists slammed the door. The banging sound has freaked Hangeng.

Yiyun dragged the couple to the bathroom “Stay inside and don’t make a sound.” The two nodded and Yiyun closed the door.

“What should we do?” Kibum’s heart raced.

“I have an idea...” Yiyun said calmly.

 

The banging went on for about 2 minutes until the door was kicked opened. Li Don and a few guys in suits followed behind.

“Ah! Who are you?” Kibum popped out under the blanket shirtless. Yiyun then followed only that she was in her singlet. Li Don and the guys eyed them and pulled a disgust face as they barged in between a gay couple. One of the guys was approaching the bathroom, just when his hand was on the door knob Kibum gave the guy a back hug.

“Omo you have such a great body.” Kibum purposely squeezed the guy’s abs with his two hands. His hand then slide down to his crotch, the guy was terrified and pushed Kibum off him.

“What the you gay b*stard.”

Kibum stood back up he leaned against the bathroom door “Come on. We don’t mind having a .”

The guy gave a disgusted look at Kibum and Li Don also wants to get away from this couple as quick as possible, he ordered his men out as there was no finding here. Yiyun quickly jumped out of bed and locked the door. Both of them drop down to the floor and exhaled a deep breath out.

“Thanks guys I don’t know how to repay you back.” Hangeng peered out from the bathroom.

*End of flashback*

Once Key and Henry have gotten the guns they parted to find Lee Joon. They waited for 5 hours in the club but Lee Joon still has not appeared yet. It was almost 2am and the club closes at 4am, if Lee Joon still hasn’t appeared they have to come back the next day. It was then both of them got a text message from Amber.

                Joon is here. Near the bar.

That was what was sent from Amber. Henry and Kibum immediately moved to where the bar was and looked around. Amber came out from the VIP room to help out.

Key was the first to spot Lee Joon, he was currently flirting with some girls at the bar while he was waiting for his ordered drink. Key tried to be careful not to be spotted as he slowly approached closer to the target. It wasn’t Key lucky day, he was spotted by Lee Joon soon and when Lee Joon saw Key he pushed the girls towards his direction. The girls fell into Key’s arms as Lee Joon ran away. Henry and Amber chased after Lee Joon, they chased him to the staff rooms where the back entrance door was. Key followed once he got rid of the girls in his arms. While Henry got close with Amber he threw one of his guns to her. The three chased Lee Joon from the DDS club into the night markets, because of the night markets the street was filled with people. Lee Joon ran as he pushes the oncoming people out of his way, clearing the pathway for him. The three chased closely behind him. Lee Joon sweated as the three are getting closer and closer, he threw at them whatever he could grab like chairs, foods, etc to slow them down. If there weren’t a lot of people Henry would have taken his gun out and fire at Lee Joon. They kept chasing until Lee Joon ran into a dark alleyway and disappeared. The three of them stopped catching their breath. They stood silently looking around to see if there’s any sign of Lee Joon. After a minute a gunshot sound was heard from not afar. The three startled and quickly ran towards where the sound was coming from. They turned a few corners and found Lee Joon lying on the ground with a puddle of blood beneath him. Amber and Henry spotted a few guys in suits running away, Henry fired a few shots where the guys were and Amber chased after them.

Key was left behind and he ran to the body “Joon! Are you okay!?” Key shouted as he picked Lee Joon up in his arms. His eyes were tearing up, he embraced him tightly as he felt the coldness on Lee Joon’s body. Blood were pouring out from his wound on his chest, Key placed his hand on top of the wound to try stop the blood. Lee Joon was losing his conscious from the amount of blood he lost with his last bit of strength he raised his hand to reach Key but unfortunately by an inch to Key’s face his hand drop back down. Key cried louder and held on Lee Joon tighter, he reached Lee Joon’s hand to his face and tears started streaming down his eyes. Amber and Henry ran back only to see the scene of Key holding Lee Joon’s dead body.

“Key, let’s go. The cops are coming.” A siren sound was heard from afar and Henry pulled Key’s arm. 

Key lingered on Lee Joon’s dead body eyes without leaving him as Henry dragged Key away.