Chapitre' 5

Him and Her, The Grim and the Blur

                      

 

 

                                

 

 

                                

 

NARRATOR'S POV : 

 

 

        The pungent scent of rich ambrosial coffee can be smelled througout every bit of the place, far and near. Junhyung was sighted in a standing stance, while holding a cup of coffee near a brewing machine. Before long, he made his way towards the cashier and examined it for a couple of times before he called out to Seungri. 

"YAH!! Seungri, have you did the balance check for last week's business?"

Soon afterwads, Seungri came out  from the kitchen with a baffled look and scratched his neck at the time. 

"Oh, it's still my duty? I thought you've let Minzy to handle those things."  he reposefully spoke to Junhyung.

Junhyung was taken back with what Seungri just said and was at a loss of words to say. "Did I? Well then, where's Minzy?" he asked trying to change the topic because he was flustered with his own absent mindedness.

"I think she's out to school. Wait, what day is today?" Seungri said while rolling up his sleves.

"It's Wednesday, and yeah you're probably right she might be at school. Anyways, wanna help out?" Junhyung requested in his kind tone.

Seungri stuck out his tongue at him, "Nah, how bout you do it yourself? It's such a pain to do those counting and balancing thingy... Look, I'm gonna head back to the kitchen why don't you bug Junho instead?" Seungri declared and went back to the kitchen.

Junhyung grumbled some weird noises which doesn't really made sense at all. Doing the balance check is really a troublesome towards him as well. Lastly, he had no choice but to do it alone all by himself. Time flies as he was totally absorbed and focused on finishing the accounting sales. He had to ensure that no mistakes can happen or else he had to recount or redo the complicated yet burdening accounting. Minutes passed and the sound of the doorbell disrupted Junhyung's work.

"Oppa, mianhe' I was late... But I got you guys dougnuts!" Minzy perked in high spirits.

"That's nice of you.. Can you help me?" Junhyung said while biting onto a piece of doughnut. Minzy took a sit next to Junhyung, "Help with what? Eh, Oppa are you doing the balance for last week's sales? Yah, I've already did it why are you doing it again?" Minzy asked in astonishment.

Junhyung threw the papers away in frustration and stomped his feet angrily at the same time. "I've wasted almost an hour for this bloody thing! Ah, jinja I'm going crazy!" he shouted.

"I thought you knew already, mianhe' oppa.." she apologized feeling really guilty for have causing such trouble towards him. Rather than Junhyung kept on whining about his frustration, instead he lightly patted Minzy's head and calmly said, "It's okay, really it's not your fault."

Minzy smiled in relief and called out to Seungri and Junho, "GUYS! I bought dougnuts!" Both of them came out at the same time with their goofy smiles.

"Wah, our Minzy's such a sweetheart today!" Seungri flattered the young maknae for being thoughtful.

"Yeah, thanks for the doughnuts!" Junho thanked her too. Whilst they were enjoying the doughnuts, Junhyung took notice of Minzy's dressing as she was wearing an all-black attire from head to toe.

"Minzy, what's up with the color?' he asked.

"Oh, I just went back from the cemetry." she answered.

Three of the guys burst in suprise, "Did someone we know died?" Seungri blurted out in shock.

Minzy laughed in amusement and said, "Nobody died, okay? Did you guys forget? It's Min Young's anniversary today."

Their expressions turned dark and Junhyung broke off the silence, "Oh, wow. It's already been a year right?" he uttered in a serious tone

"Yeah."Junho confirmed his words.

Minzy watched their expressions and decided to turn it around, "Guys, mourning around won't help right? Come, let's prepare and open the shop!"

Seungri smiled in satisfaction and agreed wholeheartedly with her decision, "She's right! Let's zoom and make money guys!"

And with that they got back to their work to start the day with their business.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

                  He looked  at the reflection on the mirror. An image of himself displayed on it as he only stared remaining silent. Then, he washed his face and stared back again at his reflection. "Nothing changes?" he mumbled quitely before he went out of the toilet and get ready for school. Currently, his mind was occupied with nothing. Since today was her anniversary, he felt heavier as if gravity was pulling him down towards the earth. Contrition was destroying him at the moment, and he just can bring himself to avoid it. Her death was his fault. A contemptible sin. He was sitting on his bed with a blank expression when his phone rang.

"Hello....?" he answered faintly while putting on his tie.

"Oppa, good morning!" Minzy replied sounding very happy.

"Oh, Minzy-ah.." Jiyong said astounded.

"Oppa, guess what I'm around your neighbourhood right now. Let's meet at the park with the big trees. I missed you!" she spoke bubbly.

Jiyong peeked at the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. Looks like he could still spare some time to meet up with her, he wanted to know how they were doing. He misses them too. Jiyong then agreed to meet up with her at the place she had planned to. After putting on his shoes, he grabbed his backpack and was about to leave his apartment when he realized he had forgotten something important. The necklace which he's been constantly wearing now and then. He took out the necklace from his pocket and wore it. Strangely, he felt somehow safe whenever he wears it. Well, maybe because it was her last gift to him.

 

10 minutes later

 

             She casted her view on him, and observed. The shadow under his eyes had became darker. He seemed abit thinner than before. Pale he was, he needed some color too. And his strained voice made her worried more. What dilemma is he in now, did something happened to him? She daintily rested her hands on his and smiled along the way too.

"Oppa, is everything okay?" Minzy asked concernedly. His troubles were hers, and anything bothering him bothers her too. 

Without looking at her eyes, he answered, "Everything's fine. Really." His tone was vague.

Bound and determined, she clasped her hands on his firmly.

"Do you miss her?"

"So, so much... It hurts.." he lowered his head trying hard to resist the pain from his heart.

"Of course it hurts oppa. When something matters, it hurts. That's just how it is." she slowly explained. 

"Yeah." Jiyong replied shortly while looking at Minzy.

She smile in return for him, then she questioned him on certain stuffs regarding his condition now.

"So, oppa have you been eating regularly?"

"Yes, I have."

"Did you make some new friends? How's school? Is it fun?"

Jiyong laughed before he answered her question. "I'm 23. How can I find school to be fun and interesting?"

Minzy had on her long face upon hearing his spiteful answer.

"Oppa, you should make some friends." she pouted cutely.

"And you should stop worrying so much about it." Jiyong tried to copy Minzy's cute pout.

"Seriously! You should, okay?" she stubbornly begged him to at least make an effort on socializing. 

"Well, I'm not going to promise anything." he plainly said while pinching Minzy's chubby cheeks to try lighten up her troubled heart. Jiyong looked up at the calm and clear sky when he asked,

"So, how are the guys doing?"

Minzy's face was glowing in delight as she smiled widely prior to his sudden question about them. Did he missed the pabo's? Well, whatever it was, she's extremely pleased to know that Jiyong did thought of them once in awhile and actually missed their presence too. 

"They're fine like how they're meant to be. Our business is going well too, and everything's turning out great so far." she considerately responded at him.

"I bet they missed you too. Sometimes, while eating Junhyung oppa would suddenly say, 'I hope Jiyong is eating a nice meal like us.'" she continued on and wanted to, but she paused for a moment to see Jiyong's reaction after what she had just confessed. He didn't smile or said anything in respond, instead he's all quite. He's face was composed and his body language was easeful. Maybe, he's gratified to discern the fact that they still had him on their mind. 10 years of friendship shouldn't be of waste, right? As they were sitting, enjoying each other's company suddenly Minzy remembered something. 

"Oppa! Shoot, it's almost time for school. And my bus will be leaving.... Shortly!" she startled out loud in bewilderment.

"Then, I'll see you when time allow's me then. Bye, Minzy-ah.. Take care and tell them don't miss me too much." he joked and flashed his mischievous crooked smirk. How time's basically being such a on ruining precious moments like this. What a life-ruiner.

"Okay, I will. Oppa, please take care of yourself too. Bye, come visit us soon!" she bid her farewell with a hug and thus went away to catch her bus. Jiyong was left alone again, resumed to how he already was as always. He put on his backpack and walked off to school. Along the journey to school, he winessed alot of beautiful things. The blossoming cherry trees, sound of the soft wind brushing against it and birds chirping merrily to welcome the Thursday morning. He should do this more often starting from now. Wake up and live the day. Breathe and be inspired by all these little things. Then, he stopped awhile as he saw a familiar figure at a distance. Fortune definitely smile upon Jiyong for today.

It was Kim Yumi

She had her hair tied up neatly and she was standing alone loaded with a bunch of stuffs in her hand. Even in that current state she was beautiful. Seems like she hasn't notice his whereness yet. "Be a man, and greet her first." Jiyong said to himself. He marched on forward slowly to approach her.

Bathump. 

His heart had distracted him on his way there. Why should he feel nervous all of a sudden? "Ah, it's nothing." he shrugged and continued making his way over her.

Bathump. Bathump. Bathump.

Again, he stopped midway. He's heart shouldn't beat weirdly this way. Unless he's feeling anxious or excited for something. Without thinking too much he proceeded his steps to her.

Bathump. Bathump. Bathump. Bathump. Bathump.

And again he ceased his walk. For some reason, he placed his hand over his chest. He felt the same vibe as before whenever he's looking at her. Then, he felt it. His ears were deaf, and his senses went numb. As if he can't hear or feel anything else but only the beating of his frantic heart. Her eyes makes the stars looked like they're not shining, she's just so beautiful without even trying.

"No, I shouldn't.." Jiyong suddenly thought in his mind and quickly tried to shake off those feelings away from him. He looked back at her and carried on his steps towards her. During the time, Yumi was adjusting her clasp on the stuffs that she carried. Today, she was carrying 4bags to school. She heard airy footsteps drawing near her and immidiately she inspected the person who was walking towards her.

"Oh, Jiyong! Annyeong, good morning." she greeted him with a big smile and wide eyes. Jiyong didn't reply to her greet on the spot as he was staring at her for awhile. She's even more beautiful up close, Jiyong thought silently in his mind.

"Morning'" he greeted back relaxed. Yumi smiled at him and asked, "Do you live anywhere near this neighbourhood?"

Jiyong cooly his hair to part it towards his left side and responded,

"Yeah. Why are you bringing so much stuffs with you?" he added at a loss to why she's with too many stuffs.

Yumi blinked innocently and made it clear to him, "Well, I have a student council meeting, and group discussions.. And a social project too. So, it involves alot of stuffs.

"Oh." was only the reply he could come up with for her. He suddenly felt pity for her because she had to what she had too.

"Do you want to walk together to school?" she asked with her eyes on him.

"Sure." he quickly responded.

Yumi smiled tenderly and walked ahead of him, "Great! Let's get going then."

Suddenly, Jiyong noticed Yumi's shoes were loosely untied and he was sort of worried for her. What if she might trip and fall down? He had decided to not allow it to happen at all. She was his priority now, and he couldn't still figure out why he's so concerned about her. There's just something about her. He wanted to tell her, to let her know of her shoes but weirdly his mouth won't seem to open and say the words at her. But, when he can, Yumi was talking to him and he didn't have the chance to reprimand her. He completely lost it as he couldn't hold it any longer. Swiftly, he lifted Yumi from the ground and set her on a bench nearby. Yumi was too startled to react or say a thing as it happened in a blink of an eye. Silently, Jiyong crouched and tied her shoes without looking at her. Witnessing him in such a considerate manner totally melted Yumi's heart instantly. It had made her day. He was being so gentle to her and she was really touched with him. She noted how his hair seemed soft and smelled quite nice. She just wanted to touch and that smooth fragrant blonde hair like patting a cat. Slowly, she came near to his hair. Boys who smell nice, are wonderful. Absolutely, with no exception to her that is. To her suprise, Jiyong raised his head at the same moment and they encountered an akward moment when their face was so close to each other as if they were about to kiss. His eyes pierced to hers and it was similarly intense. Regardless, Jiyong's heart fenzied as well. Was she sniffing my hair? said Jiyong in his mind.

"You should be more careful." he opened his mouth and adviced on her well-being. He got up and looked at a different direction eventhough his heart desired for her flawless face. Eventhough it was an unecessary closeup to her really dazzling formore enchanting eyes, but it had totally brighten up his dampen mood for the day. Yumi was still stunned to her bones to answer back his sudden kindness. Justly, she's not used to guys being nice to her, heck the only person who did was only Kibum. All in all, Jiyong had entirely caused Yumi to have this special feelings for him. And what is meant by this 'special feelings'? Well, Yumi's still seeking for it to be able on confirming her feelings for him.

"Thank you." she murmured apprehensively and rushingly averted her eyes towards her properly tied shoes. Her heart bloomed into fireworks of happiness as she fought the urge to giggle like a fangirl.

"Come on then, we'll be late." he lamented and grabbed Yumi's bags from the ground.

"Oh, yea." she agreed and walked with him. She had completely melted in and out when Jiyong settled to carry her bags for her. They walked side by side in the same pace and chatted once in awhile. Deep down both of their hearts, they intented and wished to get to know about each other. So far, based on Yumi's findings she knew Jiyong was an orphan which was something alike to her as well. Yumi was an orphan too, just like him. He doesn't have any siblings and that's identical too with her situation. And that was about how far he's willing to share with her. At least she knew the important stuffs, the minor ones can be known later on. Sooner or later, they arrived at school and it was rather early. Yumi turned to face him and thanked him again for everything.

"You know, if you don't mind. We could walk together again to school tomorrow and the day afterwards too. It'll be fun." She suggested. Jiyong's feelings launched in the air like a celebration or some sort. He's damn happy to know she actually invited him to walk again with her tomorrow and the days ahead. He was about to answer her when someone interupted their conversation.

"Yumi, why didn't you wait for me?" Kibum asked and glanced at Jiyong. He was obviously mad to know they were standing next to each other and even suspected they were walking together to school.

"Kibum, Byunghyun! Oh, mianhe' I have to go early to school." she patted Byunghyun's shoulder and smiled,

"I missed you!"

Byunghyun smiled back and said, "Me too. So, this here the new guy? Nice to meet you, I'm Byunghyun." he shook hands with Jiyong.

"You guys stink after a morning jog. Better go and shower before school starts." Yumi spoke and looked at Jiyong.

"Wanna go grab some drinks?" she enticed to Jiyong who agreed at a speed of light.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

               "Who the the hell does he think he is?" Kibum grimaced and toss his bag on the floor. He sat on the bench and took of his shoes in mega annoyance. He paused for awhile before stating, "I think he likes her."

Byungyhun sighed lazily before settling down on the bench next to him. He sharply nudged Kibum on the shoulder and persuaded, "Dude, chill.. They're only walking together to school for the first time. That doesn't mean anything." Kibum sighed heavily, "Yeah, I guess I'm overreacting again."

He walked towards the shower and mildly rinsed himself. He walked out of the shower and Byunghyun was ahead of him.

"You should confess to her." Byunghyun advised to Kibum. Kibum was silenced by Byunghyun's words and looked at Byunghyun muted.

"Well, it's up to you. But, how long?" Byunghyun counseled Kibum while combing his hair. Again, he was tongue-tied by Byunghyun's bold but honest statement. Kibum lowered his head and shrugged. Either he was afraid to say what's on his mind or he can't think of anything to say. He rised up and said,

"Let's go. I can't stand the fact that they're together right now."