On Day Two, Jonghyun Likes Him Just a Little More

One Hundred and Twenty Hours

 

 

“There’s a billion little lives in this little pond,” Onew said softly, crouching by the water. He raised his hand, casting a shadow over the water. “Think I could bring it down to a million?”

 

“We’re missing third period now too,” Jonghyun complained loudly. Onew eyed him.

 

“You are such a buzz kill,” He said. Jonghyun sighed.

 

“Okay, fine,” He said, not wanting to look lame in Onew’s eyes. “So, are you going to kill a thousand tiny people or what?”

 

“You’re really no fun!” Onew laughed, standing up. “You can’t just kill a bunch of little beings!”

 

“Then why’d you suggest it?” Jonghyun scoffed. Onew rolled his eyes. Jonghyun knew he was exasperated, but Jonghyun would sooner describe it as cute.

 

“You’re one of those people that can’t just be amazed,” Onew quipped. “You have to force it.”

 

“That’s not true,” Jonghyun insisted. Onew began walking away. “Where are you going?”

 

“Come on,” Onew told him. “We’re going to force it.” Jonghyun couldn’t exactly argue with such a tempting, well-proposed suggestion. So he followed on Onew’s heels.

 

“Out of curiosity,” Jonghyun said, as they ascended the tall hill, “Why do you always go to the college after school?” Onew chuckled.

 

“College boys!” He answered. “They’re so sweet. They really just need someone to dote on.”

 

“Seriously?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Yes,” Onew replied. “I grew up in a house full of younger brothers. It’s so nice being with hyungs now and again.”

 

“And,” Jonghyun said, half-hoping to prove Kibum wrong, half-anxious to accidentally prove him right.”

 

“And?” Onew echoed. “What? Do you think something else happens?” Jonghyun hesitated, earning a grin from Onew. “It’s fun seeing your mind whir and click and find its gears,” He said.

 

“What does that mean?” Jonghyun asked. Though secretly, he only wanted Onew to keep talking in the way that he did. He liked to hear his thoughts out loud.

 

“It means,” Onew responded. “That I’m a little easy to amaze. We’re just about there.”

 

Finally, the pair reached the top of the hill.

 

“Tah-daaah,” Onew sang, throwing out his arms. Jonghyun squinted.

 

“I don’t see it,” He remarked. The only thing in front of them was a halfassed view of the city. Onew whined.

 

“You’re impossible,” he said. “Can’t you see the beauty in anything? The sun still wavering over the buildings, the clouds scarce in the sky, the Han River in the distance; can’t you see that?”

 

Jonghyun eyed it for another moment.

 

“It’s not that special,” he said. “I see that every day.”

 

“Then what do you look at and go ‘wow, that’s something amazing. I could see that every day and still find it amazing’?” Onew pressed. Jonghyun hesitated.

 

“Some things…” He began slowly. “Some things you can’t know until you see it for yourself.” Onew smirked.

 

“Let me know when you see it,” He said. “Until then, you’re completely lame and you bother me.” It didn’t matter what Onew was saying, because he was smiling, and Jonghyun knew that anything he said when he smiled was light and friendly and playful. And Onew never frowned.

 

“I think I saw it recently,” Jonghyun offered. Onew paused before circling his fingers around his head.

 

“Click click,” he said, grinning. He turned and headed back down the hill.

 

“Where are you going now?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Back to school,” Onew answered. “It’s almost lunchtime.”

 

 

 

During the last couple of hours of the day, Onew would continuously glance at Jonghyun whenever they passed each other. He was always smiling, but by the time Jonghyun sat next to him in Health class, he was solemn.

 

“You’re like a stalker,” Jonghyun told him. “Considering we met yesterday.”

 

Onew’s lips quirked. Not into a complete smile, but… well, just a quirk.

 

“We met a long time ago, Jonghyun,” He said, eyes on the door. The class was waiting for their teacher. “People don’t need to speak to one another to be familiar.” Jonghyun paused.

 

“Does that mean you were familiar with me before we spoke?” He asked, trying to make it clear that he was teasing. Onew sank back slightly in his chair. Jonghyun was completely prepared to be concerned about the gesture when the teacher arrived at last. He would have to wait.

 

 

“Let me walk you to the college,” Jonghyun offered, trailing after Onew from the school. “My house is in that direction.”

 

“I can’t have my cool, older friends seeing me with a loser like you,” Onew said, smiling gently.

 

“Seriously, come on!” Jonghyun insisted. Onew laughed softly. He paused, smile wavering, and glanced back towards the school for a moment. Jonghyun, despite not looking with him, knew that Kibum was staring. Onew was staring back. Jonghyun refused to acknowledge it.

 

“Why don’t you go home with someone else?” Onew suggested.

 

“I said I needed a change of pace, right?” Jonghyun reminded him. Onew quirked his lips, then smiled. Jonghyun wasn’t sure if he should be taking notes.

 

“You don’t even live near the college Kim Jonghyun,” Onew told him.

 

“So what?” Jonghyun asked, immediately ditching the lie. Onew’s smile grew.

 

“I’m moving to the other side of the country this week,” He stated. Jonghyun was caught completely off-guard. “Let’s not get too close.” 

 

Jonghyun stopped walking, and Onew continued to the college. Jonghyun was sure now that he should have brought a cheat sheet for this boy.

 

When Jonghyun turned around, Kibum was waiting. He had nothing to say. 

 

 


I am very tired and very sorry T   T