On Day One, Jonghyun Meets Onew

One Hundred and Twenty Hours

 

They hadn’t met up close before; only briefly had vague contact in the hallways. Now, by chance, they were sitting together in health class. Jonghyun had to be very wary of where his eyes were at all times. Onew seemed to be more self-aware than the typical male twelfth grade student. But he liked to eye him every once in a while. He was pretty, in a quirky, crooked-front-teeth sort of way. He had a doll face; always staring at the board with attentive, large eyes and an unintentional smile.

 

Jonghyun was beginning to like him already.

 

 

“Do you have anyone to eat lunch with?”

 

The lunch bell had just gone. Jonghyun liked to be as pushy as his reputation alluded to.

 

Onew stared at him for a moment before smirking.

 

“You’re assuming I don’t have anyone to eat with,” he teased. Oh, Jonghyun was really beginning to like him.

 

“No, I’m assuming you’d like a change of pace,” Jonghyun replied coolly. “Because I’d like one.”

 

Onew’s lips curled into a smile.

 

“I like you,” he said. Not the confession that Jonghyun would have really enjoyed, but more of a childish, matter-of-fact statement. “Sure, I’ll eat lunch with you. Assuming you’re not eating with that junior you’re always with.”

 

“Let’s stop assuming,” Jonghyun told him.

 

 

 

“It’s nice out,” Onew pointed out, gesturing his hands through the cool air and warm sunlight. “Perfect lunch-eating weather.”

 

Jonghyun wasn’t paying much attention. He was trying to maintain balance between texting Kibum and admiring Onew.

 

“We’ve been eating together every day for five years,” Onew read. Jonghyun hadn’t realized he was looking over his shoulder while he texted. “Girlfriend?”

 

“Junior,” Jonghyun said. “He can eat on his own for one day.”

 

“Ah,” Onew hummed, smiling, “So you’re a jerk.”

 

“No!” Jonghyun replied. “He needs to make some new friends every once in a while. Besides, he said he was eating with a friend today.”

 

“If that’s what you say,” Onew said, lying down in the grass. “Now, I’m wondering… I’ve seen you around. I’ve heard you were a player. Who is Kim Jonghyun?”

 

“I’m not a player,” Jonghyun told him. “I’ve never been totally serious with anybody.”

 

“So you’re a .”

 

Jonghyun was completely shocked to hear that. If he had been drinking something, it would have been sprayed everywhere.

 

“Why do you have to say it like that?” Jonghyun snapped. Onew laughed, and Jonghyun suddenly wasn’t so upset.

 

“It’s endearing,” Onew assured him.

 

“Endearing,” Jonghyun scoffed, echoing Onew. He paused. “Is it really?” Onew laughed again, louder this time. Jonghyun slumped his shoulders, embarrassed.

 

“Aaah,” Onew sighed, “Okay. So what else?”

 

“What else what?” Jonghyun asked. He eyed Onew, just as Onew was eyeing him back.

 

“I heard you went out with that other Jonghyun. The older one,” Onew stated. Jonghyun quickly shook his head.

 

“That was a misunderstanding,” He told him.

 

“So you’re straight,” Onew said, not missing a beat. Jonghyun hesitated, and he was caught. Onew didn’t say anything about it; simply smiled to himself.

 

“Don’t get the wrong idea,” Jonghyun insisted.

 

“I won’t,” Onew assured him, still smiling. 

 

 

 

“I am totally mad at you.”

 

“What? Why?” Jonghyun asked, trying to force himself into Kibum’s line of sight.

 

“Because I had to eat all by myself!” Kibum complained.

 

“I thought you had planned to eat with Sooyeon,” Jonghyun reminded him. Kibum puffed out his cheeks and violently crossed his arms.

 

“I found her twenty minutes into lunch with Miyoung. Totally blew me off,” He whined.

 

“That isn’t my fault!” Jonghyun told him.

 

“Whatever,” Kibum snapped, entering the classroom. Jonghyun tailed him, sitting next to him.

 

“Don’t be mad at me,” Jonghyun requested softly. Kibum was gnawing at his lips. Jonghyun knew better than to expect a reply at this point. Instead, he kept a sideways eye on the boy for the rest of the day. Kibum tended to be a little reckless when he was angry.

 

After school, when Jonghyun and Kibum were leaving the grounds, Jonghyun found Onew waving to him.

 

“Jonghyun!” He called. Jonghyun waved back. “I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

 

“Y-yeah,” Jonghyun replied, unsure of himself. Onew grinned before turning on his heel and leaving.

 

“Ew,” Kibum sneered. Jonghyun turned to him.

 

“Ew?” He repeated. “What’s ‘ew’?”

 

“So mushy,” Kibum quipped. “Is that your new boyfriend?” Jonghyun scoffed, loud enough for Kibum to hear clearly.

 

“He’s going to the college, huh?” He said, changing the subject.

 

“He goes there every day after school,” Kibum reminded him. “He’s got a lover there.” Jonghyun glared at him.

 

“Why are you so obsessed with that?” He snapped. Kibum paused before smirking.

 

“I’m not the one who’s obsessed,” He stated.