On Day Five

One Hundred and Twenty Hours

 

Jonghyun arrived at the school early, in the slim hopes of catching Onew and making sure he was staying, all before classes. He was nervous. Rightfully so. A thousand things could go wrong, and Kibum was there to remind him.

 

Kibum had some sort of abandonment complex that Jonghyun cared too little about to know so much about. It made Jonghyun uneasy; the offset attitude of anyone with a complex.  Only recently had it even reared its head, but Jonghyun was catching onto things much more quickly these days.

 

“Did you have fun last night?” Kibum asked, after the long silence of walking to the school. Jonghyun recognized the spite and distaste in his voice. Normally, he didn’t care. He allowed his best friend to be bitter because it wasn’t his job to fix it. And normally, it went away shortly. But Kibum’s attitude wasn’t letting up. Jonghyun figured that instilling a little jealousy in the junior would cause no real harm.

 

“Yes,” He answered. Kibum’s eyebrows rose. His eyes, transfixed on the ground, moved from one side to the other. 

 

“Is that so?” he asked.

 

“It is,” Jonghyun answered, remaining vague on the details. Jonghyun had never had a one-night stand in his life and he did not intend to act like he had.

 

“You know,” Kibum said, voice harsh, “I guess I underestimated you.” He sighed. “This is a waste of time. I’m getting a coffee.”

 

Kibum left the school. Jonghyun figured he would leave something in his place; an empty spot for Onew to look at. But Kibum took all of himself along. There was nothing to look at once he turned the corner and disappeared.

 

 

Onew was apparently on slim hope’s side. Or he was on the complete other side. Jonghyun found it difficult to tell as the boy walked up to the school.

 

“You showed up early,” He remarked.

 

“Not much earlier than you,” Jonghyun countered. Onew nodded, smiling softly. He had apparently abandoned the complex half-smirks.

 

“I guess I should say right now that I’m just here to talk to you. I won’t be going to class,” Onew stated.

 

“How come?” Jonghyun asked. Onew’s smile grew a little bit sad. Jonghyun hoped for a million things, but he knew that life couldn’t always entertain these desires.

 

“We’re moving. Later today,” Onew said. Jonghyun’s heart fell like a barbell in a swimming pool.

 

“But-“ He began, fully knowing that he didn’t have anything else to say.

 

“We really have to. For the money,” Onew told him. “I would have liked to stay. In fact, I could have begged to stay. But…” Onew paused, a regretful look flickering in his eyes. He smiled. “Sometimes we can’t be so selfish.”

 

“That’s it then,” Jonghyun mumbled. “Just a couple of days.”

 

“Five,” Onew added. “Just about five.” Jonghyun eyed the boy wearily.

 

“I won’t see you again?” He asked.

 

“You don’t have to,” Onew said. “Something tells me you’ll be alright without little old me.” He stopped and looked just a scarce foot away from where Jonghyun stood. Jonghyun didn’t think he could do it, but Onew was looking at a spot where he never even knew Kibum stood. Onew then reached into his pocket and presented Jonghyun with a tattered strip of lined paper. “That’s my email. Try to contact me. Although I don’t think we’ll keep that address when we move.”

 

“So what you’re giving me is false hope,” Jonghyun stated.

 

“False hope is still hope, Jonghyun,” Onew told him. “I’ll miss you.”

 

“I’ll miss you too,” Jonghyun told him quickly. Onew almost shook his head; Jonghyun could tell he was about to. But instead, the boy planted his hands on Jonghyun’s shoulders and gave him a peck on the cheek. He didn’t say goodbye. He simply turned and walked away. Jonghyun knew he was wrong now. It was not Kibum who hadn’t left a spot to look at. It was Onew who disappeared altogether.

 

 

 

“He’s gone,” Jonghyun said softly. “I guess that’s it.”

 

“He was bound to leave from the beginning,” Kibum replied. Jonghyun eyed him. Kibum was terribly un-doll-like. He was a human being with raw emotions and little gestures that tore down any resolve he tried to put up.

 

“Did you hate him?” Jonghyun asked. Now Kibum was eyeing Jonghyun.

 

“Not as much as you loved him,” he said. Jonghyun sighed loudly.

 

“Don’t say that,” He said. “It was five days. It was never meant to be.”

 

“Five days,” Kibum scoffed, a vague echo. “Well, Jonghyun. I’m sure someday, someone worthwhile will fall right into the palm of your hands.” His voice dripped with contempt and venom. Jonghyun could have slipped in the stuff, if he wasn’t already sitting down.

 

 

And by the end of the day, Jonghyun sat on the top of the hill, watching the skyline. Wondering if truth could be veiled in pain.

 

 


 

 

I figured I should just put this up, since it's short. 

 

Please let me know what you think, and if you're intrested in a sequel ^^ <3

 

Edit: Poll for the potential sequel-