On Day Three, Onew is Mostly Aloof

One Hundred and Twenty Hours

 

Jonghyun didn’t figure it out completely until third period, where he realized that Onew was likely avoiding him at all costs. Maybe it was unintentional, but it bothered Jonghyun nonetheless.

 

“Maybe he meant what he said,” Kibum deadpanned. “When he said you shouldn’t get too close.”

 

“He was bluffing,” Jonghyun argued. “I mean, otherwise, he wouldn’t have been friendly from the start.” Kibum’s face became bitter. Jonghyun liked to assume it was because he was being proven wrong, but he couldn’t help but think it was something more. Maybe Kibum was bitter because being wrong meant Jonghyun having an excuse to care about Onew. Jonghyun got the impression that Kibum despised the boy. He couldn’t fathom why.

 

“Why don’t you just stalk him to the college after school?” Kibum suggested dryly. “He’s not going to stop going there. He needs to give his boyfriend a kiss.”

 

“I’m hoping I won’t need to,” Jonghyun said, brushing over the obvious sarcasm. It was out of pure, divine luck that Onew happened to pass by in a perpendicular hallway at that precise moment. Jonghyun seized the opportunity and went after him.

 

“Onew!” He called, waving him down. Onew, apparently plugged into his ipod, stopped in his tracks. He removed his earphones as Jonghyun approached.

 

“Jonghyun,” He said, smiling, “I was looking for you all morning!”

 

“Really?” Jonghyun asked. “I thought you were avoiding me.”

 

Onew paused. A smirk appeared upon his lips.

 

“Now why would I do that, Kim Jonghyun?” He asked. Jonghyun hesitated, unsure of the answer himself. Onew’s smirk deepened. He raised one finger to his head, completing a single circular gesture. Click click.

 

“Anyway,” Jonghyun said, trying to move away from the clicking, “We should have lunch together again today.”

 

“Why?” Onew asked. Short, and blunt.

 

“Because reasons,” Jonghyun answered. Onew apparently didn’t listen to the entirety of the two words, as his eyes began to wander sidelong before the ‘rea.’ Once again, he was looking at a spot where Jonghyun knew Kibum was standing.

 

“I’m going to continue to accept,” Onew said softly, eyes returning to Jonghyun. “Until no longer applicable. Just to see if you’ll keep asking.” He put particular emphasis on the last two words. “I’ll see you in a bit,” He added. Jonghyun nodded, and Onew continued on his way.

 

Kibum wasn’t waiting this time. When Jonghyun turned back, he was gone. Jonghyun was starting to think that the world was testing him in some way.

 

 

“This time I’m following you,” Jonghyun told Onew as they left the school.

 

“I’m not going straight to the college,” Onew informed him. “I feel like lying down.”

 

“Lying down?” Jonghyun echoed. Onew nodded silently and continued walking.

 

Just off the college campus was a large field for soccer and other sports. Onew picked a spot where the ground dipped off from the road and took a seat. Jonghyun joined him.

 

“Were you serious about moving?” Jonghyun asked. He hadn’t asked at lunch, because Onew seemed to want to keep silent at that point. Jonghyun chose to respect it. Besides, when Kibum showed up ten minutes in, walking past them, but not directly confronting them, Jonghyun lost the desire to speak.

 

“I was,” Onew answered. “I still am.”

 

“Why?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“My father got a job far away,” Onew told him.

 

“One week into school?” Jonghyun pressed.

 

Onew’s lips quirked, halfway between a smile, halfway between a smirk, and somewhere in the middle of a frown. Onew had some pretty talented facial features.

 

“Sometimes, that’s the way things go,” He stated. Jonghyun paused, trying to figure out what to say.

 

“Classes here run later, don’t they?” He finally asked. Onew nodded. “Don’t you get lonely?”

 

“The grass keeps me company,” Onew answered, allowing a full smile to grace his lips. Jonghyun felt like applauding those lips.

 

“Maybe you should find someone else to keep you company,” Jonghyun suggested. He only realized a moment later that it was probably too straightforward and idiotic to say that. Onew chuckled.

 

“I’m fine,” He said. “It’s best to look forward to company, rather than to have it constantly.”

 

“Is it really?” Jonghyun asked. Onew nodded, sure of himself. He then proceeded to lean back on his elbows, extending his curved legs and waggling his feet back and forth. Jonghyun chose this time to inspect him, which may or may not have been his downfall.

 

Onew was still very pretty, in his own quirky way. But it had only taken two days for that prettiness to change. He was no longer a dollface. He was a pretty human being. He had smart things to say and lots to smile about. His almost-crooked teeth were no longer things of diversity in his mouth. They meant something different. They meant a crooked person with a pretty life. And Jonghyun could not stop staring.

 

Onew, on the other hand, was staring at the college building. Much like he stared at the door for the teacher, or like he stared at the places where Kibum stood. With a sort of acceptance that something would shortly occur, or was already occurring. But when he turned back to Jonghyun, the acceptance disappeared. It was replaced by curiosity, which was then replaced by mock judgment.

 

“Why are you staring at me?” Onew asked, smirking. Jonghyun considered turning away and lying for a moment. Then he considered having a spine for once in his life.

 

“You’re really attractive,” he stated flatly. Onew laughed.

 

“I know,” He said. “I really can’t help it.” Jonghyun knew he was joking, and it upset him greatly.

 

“I’m serious,” He said. Onew smiled for a second longer, before losing the grin.

 

“Are you?” He asked softly. Not directly at Jonghyun, but to no one in particular. “You know,” Onew said, speaking up. “A lot of things really seem like they’re right, when they’re not.” He was talking faster now, more harshly. Not as a joke. Just as an impulse.

 

“Onew,” Jonghyun said. The reasoning behind the tone was lost entirely. Onew looked at him with unyielding eyes.

 

And then Jonghyun kissed him.

 

It was remarkably sweet, and very chaste for two twelfth graders.  Onew didn’t fight it. He didn’t seem to be upset nor happy about it. But when Jonghyun leaned back, his face was expressionless. Jonghyun had stripped him of his permasmile and his pretty attitude. Onew stared at the ground for a moment, then stared at Jonghyun.

 

“Don’t ever do that again,” he said. He stood up and left for the college campus, leaving Jonghyun on his own. Jonghyun felt his heart being twisted up. He watched Onew barely wait one second for another person to join him. He watched him grab the boy’s arm and yank him away.

 

Jonghyun stared, wide-eyed. Heartbroken. 

 


 

You guys make me happy and I love you and if I didn't have any schoolwork to do I would write for you all the frickin time because asdfghjkl