04;

To France, with Love

Sungyeol is hungry and grumpy and tired when they touch down at the airport in Tignes. 

He forced himself to sleep through about nine hours of the total eleven hour flight to avoid any confrontation with Nam Woohyun, consequently missing out on the on-flight meals provided. Also, he had woken up with a horrible ache in his neck and something poking into his shoulder, only to realize the ever inconsiderate Woohyun had lifted up his arm rest for more space, completely forgetting that in doing so the rest would jab into Sungyeol's shoulder. 

Sungyeol had just slammed the arm rest down when he saw it, curling away from Woohyun in the process. 

"Hyung. Hyung? Hyung!" 

Sungyeol's eyes snap open when he feels a rush of gravity and he steadies himself just before his head makes contact with the tiled floor of the airport. He rights himself against the arm of a seat and sees his brother's face right in front of his. Sungyeol pushes Daeyeol away by the chest. 

"What, Daeyeol," Sungyeol mumbles incoherently.

Daeyeol takes Sungyeol's hand and wraps his fingers around the handle of their shared luggage. "Mom says you need to pull this. I'm going to help with the other stuff, seeing as you're not really with me here in the living world yet. Walk to our tour bus. Please do not fall on the road. Myungsoo hyung asked me to watch out for you." 

Sungyeol sniffs as he watches his brother dart off (of course Daeyeol would be so energetic- he had used Sungyeol as his own personal pillow throughout the whole flight) before yanking the luggage after him in his search for their tour bus, stepping out of the airport. He yelps as the biting chill hits him in the face and proceeds to zip himself up fully and wrap his red scarf around his neck, bouncing a little on his toes to ward off the cold. 

"Over here!" Sungyeol looks up and sees their tour guide waving him over from their bus. Sungyeol hurries over and stows the luggage in the compartment at the bottom of the bus just as the rest of his family arrives. They get up the bus together, and Sungyeol notes that they're one of the last few to arrive.

Mr and Mrs Lee slide into two seats near the front of the bus and another couple strikes up a conversation with them. Sungyeol looks around awkwardly for two empty seats for him and Daeyeol and realises that there are none. 

And then the worst possible thing happens. 

"Lee Sungyeol!" 

"Oh my god, what is wrong with this boy, can't he leave me alone, does he think we're best friends now, really," Sungyeol hisses to his brother.

Woohyun is waving them over from where he sits at the last row, smirk intact, and Mrs Lee gives her sons encouraging looks that read make new friends, boys!

Sungyeol thinks this whole situation is very sad. Nonetheless, he settles onto the seat Woohyun is patting and Daeyeol sits next to him, beside an unfamiliar looking boy. Woohyun's brother is off to the other side, leaning against the window pane (Sungyeol wonders how he's doing it, the window should be freezing; it's a good -17 degrees out here) with his eyes closed. 

Woohyun leans over Sungyeol (Sungyeol recoils immediately) to tap the unfamiliar boy next to Daeyeol on the knee. "This is Howon. Lee Howon. My younger cousin."

Howon has this uninterested, faraway look on his face, but Daeyeol stretches out a hand anyway. "Lee Daeyeol. Nice to meet you."

Howon just blinks and shakes his hand briefly, before leaning back into his seat, pushing his purple coloured earbuds back into his ears and closing his eyes. Daeyeol's smile falters. Sungyeol thinks this family is absolutely strange. Two sleeping idiots and one- Sungyeol glances over at Woohyun who looks back at him knowingly- idiot.

"You know," Woohyun tugs at Sungyeol's scarf the minute the bus gets moving and Sungyeol thinks he and Woohyun would never get along because Woohyun is a touchy person with no notion of personal space. "We're going to spend the next week or so up skiing in the mountains, and the following week touring Paris- together. It's going to be so- " Woohyun pauses and lets that devious smirk tug at his lips, " - enjoyable."

"Just wake me up when we reach a food stop or a toilet stop," is the only thing Sungyeol replies before inching away from Woohyun and into his brother. 

Apparently Sungyeol shouldn't have said anything to Woohyun, for the latter then proceeds to jerk Sungyeol out of sleep what seems like every fifteen minutes along the journey just to flash him an apologetic (not) look and say sorry, I thought the bus was stopping at a food stop or a toilet stop.

When the bus does eventually stop halfway along their journey up to the ski resort at a McDonalds for food and a toilet break, Sungyeol doesn't get up even though someone is furiously shaking his windbreaker. He only snaps his eyes open when he feels himself falling forwards and hears his mother yell at him to get off your lazy and go empty your bladder right now, and he doesn't even know what to feel when he steps down the bus and sees Woohyun ting his pants with laughter. 

Sungyeol stalks off with a groan, shoes crunching against the snow as he thinks the few weeks ahead don't seem so short and blissful anymore.

-