The Third Letter

A Collection of Letters || Short Story

 

Dear Key,

Mom paid a psychiatrist to come see me every Thursday. He’s really weird. He asks me questions about you and about how I feel about you leaving. It’s confusing. You haven’t left. You’re just in Seoul. Maybe it has to do with your sickness. But you promised you wouldn’t leave. You promised you’d stay through it all. Then again, why did you go to another city? Is it all about your sickness? I’m really scared. And you still haven’t answered. You’ve got me worried. I’m saving money to buy a train ticket to Seoul. I don’t know how I’d find you there, but I would. I remember when we first kissed. It was in 6th grade, wasn’t it? Behind the football bleachers. It was so sweet of you to do that. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. The finals of the annual cup were taking place and the most popular girl by then, Yuri, had just thrown a blueberry slushy on my hand-made white dress. It had been my favorite creation by then and I knew the blue wouldn’t go out. I ran away crying and hid under the bleachers full of people. You followed me down there and you just hugged me and held me while I cried. You just told me it’d be alright. If not now, someday. I just stopped crying and looked at you in the eyes. Those beautiful, full, brown eyes. And then you did it. Our first kiss. It was so magical, even if it only lasted a few seconds. You sent shivers over my entire body. It is probably the best kiss I’ve ever experienced. Why won’t you write back? Or call? Or simply come back home and stay here with me forever. That’s what you describes us like. You said we were forever.

With Love,

Sunny