11

The Person Who Once Loved Me

It was a quarter 'till twelve when Jongin and I woke up. Truthfully, the sleep that I had gotten the night before was the best sleep that I had gotten in a long time. I didn't wake up once, and I had sweet dreams. I couldn't remember the dreams, but I was sure that they were sweet. They had to be, I woke up smiling.

The bright yellow sun was peeping through the tiny cracks of the thick woven curtain. We had forgotten to close the window so the cool breeze was circulating throughout the hotel room. I laid there in bed for a while in Jongin's embrace before turning to peer over at his gorgeous face. He looked so calm and peaceful. It was amazing how just looking at him made me smile so widely.

Jongin must've felt my subtle movements because soon enough, he started to make movements before rubbing his eyes and letting out a yawn. He looked over at me, one eye opened and the other closed before letting out a sigh. A smile formed on his red lips. "Good morning," he murmured, his voice husky from the sleep and maybe even from the night before.

"Morning," I replied, smiling back at him.

"Come here," Jongin grinned as he spread his arms, motioning with his head for me to come into his embrace. I obliged and scoot over, laying my head in his chest. I was happy. There wasn't really much to how I was feeling- I was just very happy. Very, very happy. And it made me even more happy that he didn't leave me or ditch me after that one night with me. I hear countless stories of boys using girls and then leaving them the next day.

Even if Jongin was lying to me about loving me, I wanted to believe his lies. But that wasn't something to worry about- I knew that Jongin loved me. I was sure.

"What time is it?" Jongin asked, his eyes slowly drooping closed again.

I laughed, "It's twelve. Why? Are you still tired?"

"Very," he replied, "Can't we just stay like this the whole day?"

"I would love to," I replied, "But shouldn't we only stay here one night before your parents track us down?"

Jongin was silent for a second, "I forgot that we were on the run." He let out a chuckle. "But I'm surprised, I didn't think that you would be this bad."

I shrugged my shoulders in response, "I'm not being bad, I just don't want to get caught."

"I think you're being bad... But then again- how bad can a good girl get?" Jongin questioned jokingly.

"Bad," I replied.

"Hm. You showed me yesterday," he winked.

"Shut up," I groaned, cheeks turning red from embarrasment.

"I'm joking," Jongin laughed. He grunted, patting me on the back, "Come on. Let's shower and get some lunch before we pack. If get out of here in two hours, we should get to Seoul by dinner time."

"Really?" I shot up and grabbed the robe that was lying on the foot of the bed. I slipped it on quickly and ran to the bathroom. "Showering first!" I called behind me. I heard Jongin chuckle before the sheets shuffled. I shook my head, amused. He went back to sleep.

 

 

After a brief meal of sandwiches and tea at the hotel cafe, Jongin and I packed our bags and "got the hell out of there" like Jongin would say. The weather seemed to be getting warmer the more north we were going. Apparently Seoul was around 100 degrees farenheit in comparison to Busan's chilly 65.

We waited in front of the hotel for a bus and soon enough, we were on the road again. This time it was a little more exciting because both of us had gotten a good night's sleep for once. Jongin stole- or "borrowed" some pastries from the cafe and I brought my playing cards.

Jongin didn't know how to play any card games so I taught him. In turn, Jongin taught me the different names of all of the different pastries he "borrowed".

Everything was going well. Since it was a weekday, there wasn't many people on the bus since we left after lunchtime, and the people that did ride the bus didn't care about what students were doing on the bus on a school day.

We were officially 30 minutes away from Seoul. The streets were getting bigger, the buildings were getting taller, and the smell of smoke and pollution started to fill the once fresh air. Jongin and I had to transfer off of one more bus and it would take us straight to that golden city. And Jongin promised, when we were in Seoul, no one would be able to find us.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I said once we stopped at the resting area. Jongin nodded and waited for me outside the door. I did what I had to do and walked back outside to where Jongin was waiting.

He looked irritated.

"Did I...take too long or something?"

He chuckled, "No, but the bus broke down. The next bus is tomorrow morning so we'll have to stay at the motel..." Jongin turned and pointed to a run down motel on the side of the road. "Over there."

"Oh, that's fine," I replied.

"Sorry," Jongin sighed.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked.

"I knew how much you wanted to get there tonight and I kept talking about the good restaurant that we were going to eat at and now we have to wait one more day-"

"Hey," I stopped Jongin from rambling on and beating himself up. It was quite cute, actually. He cared. "It's fine. As long as we get there, right?"

"Right."

He reached for my hand and we swung our arms as we grabbed our bags and headed towards the motel on the rest stop site. The motel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Well at least, not to me. To Jongin, it was apparently the worst thing that he had ever come across.

He offered for me to sleep on the bed so I would have enough room.

But then I jokingly accused him of calling me fat and he didn't hesitate and crawled into bed with me.

"We can order room service if you're hungry."

"We're in a motel I don't think there's room service. But it's okay, I'm not hungry." Just then, Jongin's stomach let out a low growl. I stared at him before letting out a laugh.

"Do you want to go get dinner?"

"It's fine. I'll just go down to the gas station and bring some food up. We can watch another cheesy sitcom."

"Sounds good," I smiled. Jongin gave me a kiss on the cheek before grabbing his jacket and heading out the door.

About ten minutes later, a knock came on the door. I was in my underwear and bra but I didn't really care to change. It was only Jongin at the door anyway.

"Coming," I called, getting out of the bed and opening the door.

But it wasn't Jongin.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach as my parents stood there staring at me with hard eyes.

No words were spoken. And then I remembered that I was still in my underwear and bra.

"Hana..."

I just stood there, stricken. I didn't know what to do. What to say. I didn't know how they found me and I didn't want to know what was to become of me. There was an awkward, tense silence. 

"Why are you here?" I whispered, my voice hoarse from the recent shock.

"Why are we here?" Mom screeched, "Why are you here? And why are you opening the door practically !"

I didn't say anything. I could only pray that Jongin didn't show up at the wrong time.

"Do you know how long we spent looking for you?" My mom went on and on wailing and screaming into my face. Oddly, it wasn't the loud threats of my mother that frightened me, but the silence of my father. I stared at him as he shook his head.

And just as I prayed wouldn't happen, I saw Jongin appear behind my parents with bags of crackers. He didn't look happy. He was being held by a man in a suit and thick glasses.

 And I was being held by the disappointed look on my father's face.

"Are you crazy?!" My mom screamed at me.

"I'm not going anywhere, let go of me," Jongin growled, shaking his wrist out of the man's grasp, "I'm not twelve anymore."

I stared at the ugly blue carpet with bug-eaten patches of tan showing through.

"You ran away from home because of a boy? Because of him?" Mom's loud, screeching voice filled my ears as she jabbed a finger into Jongin's chest. Jongin, who's eyes were previously glued to the floor turned to look, infuriated. "Is he the reason?!"

Jongin pushed passed my mom and walked past me into the hotel room. He grabbed a robe and put it over me.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. He held my hand and squeezed it.

I stared at my parents, "It's what I wanted to do." And that was when everything exploded. My dad slapped me on my face and I fell to the disgusting stained carpet.

"You're an ungrateful brat. Did I raise you to run away from home with a boy that you don't even know?!" He grabbed me by the sleeve and placed my feet on the ground. Probably so he could yell at me even more. Tears fell from my eyes and stung my bright red cheeks. I tasted iron in my mouth, and my knees were scraped up.

"You're coming home and you're never leaving."

I saw a middle aged woman who was staring at the "fight" for a while who turned to look at me and shake her head disapprovingly. Was I that wrong? Was it that wrong that I wanted to get away from home and love someone who meant the world to me?

Anger filled Jongin's bloodshot eyes as he looked at my parents. "ing hate adults," he whispered. Loud enough for my parents to hear. But quiet enough so he wasn't being obnoxious.

My dad who had just grabbed my sleeve and started pulling me towards the exit turned to glare at Jongin. "You. What have you done to my daughter? Why was she practically when she opened the door?"

"I just gave her the love that you didn't, sir," he paused, "And I prefer not to answer the second question."

"You haven't changed," the man holding Jongin shot a disgusted glare at him before turning to apologize to my parents.

But of course, my mom ignored him, "What do you like about him? See? He's disrespectful and his parents are disrespectful. His parents aren't even here to apologize to what this boy did to my daughter. Do you want someone like this in your life?" She was practically shrieking, her eyes wild and red.

"You don't know anything about him," I yelled.

"Neither do you!" My dad roared, "You probably didn't even know that this man over here isn't even Jongin's parent. You don't know any more him than we do!"

More tears fell from my eyes. I was scared. I was scared of what would happen when I went home and I was scared about what would happen to Jongin. I was scared that what my father said was true. Because I didn't know. I felt humiliated. My parents made me feel so stupid. They made me feel foolish up to the point where even I was questioning what happened in the last couple of days and if it was the right choice. And I felt shameful. They probably knew that Jongin and I had already gone all the way.

Jongin stared at me, rage filling his eyes. His knuckles were white from clenching his fist too tightly.

The words 'I'm sorry' left his lips silently. I let out a small smile before turning and allowing myself to be tugged by my father.

The ride home was long and excruciating. It was amazing how long someone could screech and scream for. After about the second hour of scolding, even my father told mom to shut up. And when I threw snarky comebacks at my mom, he would tell me to shut up. He seemed tired. Physically from driving and mentally from me running away and refusing to back down.

We passed by the hotel that Jongin and I loved in, and the rest of the car ride was silent. Mom fell asleep. She was probably tired from all that scolding. And dad kept his eyes on the road, sighing every now and then, his tight grip on the handle never-changing. Each second that passed by only thickened the already melancholy mood inside the run-down vehicle. 

How did everything fall apart so quickly?

"Dad?"

He didn't say anything but I knew that he was listening.

"I'm sorry."

I wasn't sorry that I ran away with Jongin, but I was sorry about the emotional toll that it left on him and my so called "family".

"You will never see him again, if I have to kill him."

I opened my mouth to retort, but my words got stuck in my throat. What was I even going to say?

I stared out the tinted window, watching as the dark road passed by, my hopes of running away with Jongin to Seoul fading away the closer I got to Busan. I was starting to fear myself. Fear what actions I was capable of with this newlyfound courage that Jongin gave me. If I had never met Jongin, I would've probably not even ran away in the first place. And if I did run away, I would probably come back crying on my knees asking for forgiveness.

Yet frankly, I was more worried about plotting another plan to be able to see Jongin rather than my punishment.

How bad can a good girl get?

Bad.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

happy late thanksgiving! i was going to put this up on thanksgiving day but that just didn't work out- i was super busy. how was everyone's thanksgiving? mine was eh... during dinner my kimchi mixed with my mashed potato. it was disgusting. idek why we HAD to have kimchi with a totally american dinner.. lol korean people problems. haha but anyway i hope you guys enjoyed. be sure to let me now what's going on in your guys' brains through the comments or message or whatever!
i'm truly thankful for each and every one of you for even giving this story a chance and subscribing and commenting! ✌
love you all xx