Hello my EX

10 Things to avoid in kpop fanfiction!

If you've read lot's of fanfics, you'll soon see that the stories are quite alike and as soon as things start to go a bit too well for the main couple something or rather someone comes to destroy everything. The ex-girlfriend of one of the boys. This is so cliche that it's not even funny, but clichés are no what this chapter is going to be about, it's about adding female characters.

Problem: How to not use a female character in your boy's love themed fanfic, or in any other fanfic as well.

Examples:

" It's Jessica, Donghae's ex girlfriend, God I hate that ."

Another example of how authors on aff tends to put it.

" Oh no it's Hyorin! ( Sorry I just hate her too much ò_ó )My crazy exgirlfriend who I dumped laste year."

See, all the things I hate in the same stupid sentence...Authors note+mini rant+smiley-faces.

Why is this a problem?

Well first first of all, i find it really sad that lot's authors aren't creative enough to think of something exciting that will take the story to the next level. Almost everytime it's some old ex of one of the characters that popps up out of nowhere and have never been mentioned before. They are described as y and are mean and tries to seduce their old boyfriend again. Or sometimes thier ex boyfriends new boyfriend/soon-to-be-boyfriend.

Don't tell me that I'm the only one who have noticed this pattern?

Though what I mentioned above is not the main issue, it's something much more disturbing. if we look at the first example.

" It's Jessica, Donghae's ex girlfriend, God I hate that ."

.

.

, is that the only way some writers can describe a girl? And it really dissapoints me how fellow female auhtors describes other girls as s.

have you ever seen this quote thing?


" What do you call a girl that has alot of ?
 - Her name."


See, there shouldn't even be a word for that.

Somehow in fanfics does apparently the fact that the girl had had alot of something to do with her personality. I don't know if it's jealous s who thinks that the word "" is the ultimate word to call a girl who lives after human rights. A girl is as free as a man to have with whoever she want, if the partner agrees of course. A girl should not be judged by this fact. Seriously if you think of it, doesn't this girl probably have more fun in her life than the ones who just sits and waits for the partner to make a move? A girl who experiments with her uality should not be frowned upon, it makes me mad to think of how it's all " hush hush" about a females uality.


If you rant about how you dislike girls who live life through your fanfiction, then I feel sorry for you. Write that crap in your blog if neccessery. Make sure to consider if adding a annoying female character and sneak in insults like really adds something to the story. It's a fanfiction about males, right?

One final thing i would like to mention. If you have to have a female character, how neccessary is it to name her after a kpop idol? If you name a character, it means that he or she has alot to do with the story since she apparently is very important. We only give names to things we love. It would be the smartest option to make up a name for her and make it an OC. Since it would be OOC (out of character) to write about for example Bora as some kind of whiny girl since she actually is more of a tomboy.

Also keep in mind that there is alot of fans of who likes girlgroups as well, if I find a fanfic where my girlcrush is portrayed in an OOC way I would probably stop reading. Adding new characters does affect the story, alot. Think it through if it's really neccessary first.

How do I avoid this?
Make sure you have already planned out the whole story before you start writing. Then you won't "run out of ideas" and throw in a random girl to create some sort of action to your story. And also, like i said earlier, consider if the character really needs to be mentioned by name and if so you might have to make up a name to her. It's better to ad an OC than adding a female idol and write OOC, it's disturbing.