Number 3

10 Things to avoid in kpop fanfiction!

Problem: Colored text
Which also includes
lightly colored text + differentely colored text

 

Example:

#1
  - Whoaaa this color is really anoying ot look at! my eyes hurt!



#2

He observed the calm expression on his roommate's sleeping face. How he wished he would be able to look at him affectionately like this even while the other was awake. Unfortunately, will moments like these be his only chance, that's why he treasure these moments the most.how are you suposed to be able to read in this color? I can't even se what I'm writing.

 #3

  - Why?

  - Because I felt like it

  - That's not a good reason!

  - Yes it is!

  - Would you two please stop arguing?
 

Why is this a problem?

I'll start by saying the most important argument, it's god damn annoying to read. And if you read my three examples above you might get my point. Using colored text in your fanfiction is not only disturbing to read but also makes the whole story seem childlish and unserious.

If you read a normal book, you'll notice that they are all in black and white, black ink on white paper. No colors to distract you and maybe give some of the sentences a whole new meaning.

 

Seing fanfiction written with colored letters can also make it feel like you're reading old conversations on chat programs like MSN for example. Which is not the feeling your aiming for when writing fanfiction. 

 

Also the too light colored text is not an option either, you'll have to squint to be able to read and since you're not suposed to use color at all. 



And trying to be smart by using differently colored text for each person is not an option either. To just make a color chart at the beginning and force the reader to memorize which color belongs to who is nothing but laziness.



Colored text isn't only common in stories but I wanted to bring it up anyway, since it's an easy problem to avoid.

How do I avoid this?
Just, don't do it. Fine, you can have your tiny a/n at the end in some color if you want to. Also then the reader knows when to stop reading if he or she isn't interested in reading the authors note.