Number 4

10 Things to avoid in kpop fanfiction!

Warning! I will mention in this chapter but nothing in detail.

Call me oppa!
How about, no!

Problem: the " call me oppa " syndrome.

Example:

"
  - Hyung touch me! the younger moaned.

  - Only if you call me oppa!    

  - Oppa!    "


Why is this a problem?

As most of the fanfictions here on AFF are about korean bands, it's obvious that people will use lot's of korean words in their fanfiction. Which i approve, as long as you know what you're writing. Many people already know this but I'll say it anyway.

"Oppa" means "older brother" and is a term only used when a girl adresses a guy who is older than her.

And "Hyung" also means  "older brother" and is used when a younger male adresses a older male. But not if they're born in the same year since when they are the same age they just use their names.

As I said many people know this already, but still think it's funny to make the one who's bottoming in the scene or what the scenario might be to call the other " oppa".

I don't how this is supposed to be considered as y, since Oppa is used by girls only. If you're reading a boys love fanfiction, there is no girl and absolutely no reason for the other to act like a stereotypical girl.

I know some people might find it fun to humiliate the male character and make him call another guy oppa, but in scenes? If you want to read about someone calling the other oppa then just go for a straight fanfiction instead. If it would be a turn on for the one who's older to be called oppa in bed, why is he sleeping with a guy? 


In more innocent scenarious and not like my provious examples there might happen that another guy is calling another guy oppa.

But there should be a good reason for this to happen. If i use EXO as an example, when tao was new to the korean language and tried to improve his korean by watching korean dramas. He called Xiumin "Oppa" since Xiumin is older than him, Xiumin got confused and thought that Tao was a girl since he said oppa but Tao didn't look like a girl. Also I can't be 100% sure if this story is true since it might be a funny story SM have made up just to please fans, but you get my point.

This might be fun in fanfiction as well if it's about language barrier and is only to cause confusion that adds something to the story. Also if one guy is disguised as a female at a girl school as an example and he met an older boy who doesn't know he's a guy. It's logical that he should call the other oppa just so he won't get caught.

How do I avoid this?

I think I've already said everything but if you want to use korean words, make sure to use them in the correct context. And spell them correctly.