chapter 1

The bet

Airi:

RIIING, RIING...

I heard the schoolbell."! We're too late for English!" My friend Kaori said. We started running through the school hallways. We ran around a corner, and another corner. But I didn't pay attention. I felt a slap and fell on the ground. I looked up and saw one of the popular guys of the school. "You stupid !" He said. "Look where you're walking!" How could he call me a ?! "Who do you think you are!" I said really mad. "Just watch where you walk next time!" He said. I looked at him really mad and so did he. "Now get out of my way!" He said as he pushed me to the side. I watched him as he walked away. "Really, who does he think he is?" I asked my friend. She shrugged. "What is it with guys, who think they are though?" I said. "They can't ever act normal, not even one time." Kaori said.

"Why are you girls so late?" The English teacher asked. "I'm sorry" Kaori said while we went to our seats. "Seriously, who does he think who he is?" I wishpered. "Are you still thinking about that?" Kaori wishpered back. I nodded. "He's just so selfish, how could he scold me like that?". Kaori looked at the schoolboard. I saw her think."Hey! How far are you with your school project?" She asked, changing the subject. "Project?" I replied. "Yeah, for English... It has to be done this friday, you remember?" I could slap myself in the face. I totally forgot. "Oh don't tell me you forgot." Kaori said. I nodded. "But don't worry; I will work very hard on it and it will be done this friday". "It will never be done in time". Kaori said worringly. "Friday is already in two days". I nodded again. "I just have to work really hard on it". "I bet you it's not done this friday". She said with a smile. "I bet it will be done this friday and I will get an A on my reportcard" I said, also with a smile. The grade you'll get for this project comes on your reportcard too. She laughed a little. "I bet you won't." She said again. I also laughed a little. "Girls at the back, keep your heads in your book please?" The teacher warned us. We stopped laughing and went to our English work again.

During free period me and Kaori sat at a table in the canteen as I saw him again. He was surrounded by a million girls. "What is it with these popular people?" I asked while staring at him. I saw he looked a little nervous and didn't know what to do. He tried to push the girls away and then left the canteen. "Yeah... You'd probably be popular too if you were his girlfriend" Kaori answered. "Sad he's rejecting all the girls". "Ah~ Kaori, You aren't really thinking that right?" I said. "What?" She asked "I only say it because I also want to be popular... and you too right? I remembered you said you wanted to be popular...". "Yeah, but that was then... and I will never date him to be popular... I hate him...". I answered her. "That's it!" She said enthusiastic. I looked at her. "What?" I asked. "You said your project will be done in two days, right?" She asked. I nodded. "I'm just working really hard on it and it will be done in time. I promise it to myself!" I answered her. "Then also promise it to me, cause when you lose you need to date that guy!" I almost fell of my chair. "What!" I yelled at her. "You're kidding, right?" She shook her head. "But... why?" I asked. "It's fun... so you'll be more motivated to get your project done" She said. She was right, If I have to do something I don't like when I don't get it done in time, I will be more motivated than anything. "Okay, right!" I said "But what when I don't lose? then you have to do something, right?" She nodded. "Then I'm dating him" She said. "Okay, but was if he says no?" I asked again. "Then the whole school know that you were rejected by the most popular guy of the school, remember what happened to Asuka Maeda? She confessed to him and then she was rejected and everyone ignored her for the rest of her life". I nodded. I did remember her. She changed schools because she was ignored by everyone. 

At home I only worked on my project. I already had an idea, so that wouldn't be the problem. I worked really hard, I didn't even have dinner. My mom shouted at me from downstairs. "Airi, dinner is ready!". But I refused. I promised myself to get the project done before friday, No matter what. At eight o' clock I noticed I was hungry. My stomach was growling. I decided to go look for some food in the kitchen, because working when you're hungry isn't a good idea. I took a pack of cookies and a drink and went back upstairs. I worked on the project, while I ate some cookies sometimes. I really worked very hard. I heard my mom in the hallway, who was going to bed. I kept working and working, noticing I was becoming tired. I yawned as I stretched. I had a look at the clock. I was shocked by seeing it was already two o' clock in the morning. But I still had to do a lot. I decided to work one more hour, so that I would be half way done. At three o' clock I went to bed.