Rian's POV

As the Moon Rises...

 

Careful Rian. There we go. Here's your walking stick." mother said as she slowly helped me get out of the car.

"Oooh, it's chilly here. Almost like a place filled with ghost and scary stuff." I said.

Mother chuckled at my remark.

"Don't worry Rian, it looks better than what you're thinking."

"Well.... I hope so..."

I positioned my walking stick to my front and started walking, swaying the stick side to side, in case there were debris that I have to avoid.

I'm Kang Rian, 15 year old half british and half korean girl. I was pretty, as they say, but I don't really know, because I haven't seen my face since I was a baby. Yes, I'm blind. I had a disease called Con Rubella Syndrome since I was a baby. I wasn't sad though. I enjoyed life, because it's the only one I had, and even if I can't see, at least I'm still breathing. And I think it's better to be blind than see the cruel world. Not that I don't want to see, but it's something I want to convince myself with.

I felt the Front door's cold knob and turned it. I felt myself being enveloped with a warm, home like surrounding.

"Eomma, is the couch here inside already?"

"Yeah, you can just search for it there. Sit down and rest Rian, I don't want you to get hurt while we've just moved."

I finally found the couch, and I slowly sat and sighed afterwards. We've just moved here, but I don't like what I'm feeling in this place. It's like somewhere, someone, or a bunch of somethings were looking at me, waiting for the right time to grasp me and kill me. I tried shaking the thought out of my head as I felt goosebumps start to form in my arms. Why were we moving again? Oh, As I've said, I'm half british. I was born in Seoul, but I was raised in London, because my grandmother wanted to see me often. Well, after 13 years of living in London, my korean father decided that it's best if we stay here in Korea instead. And, of course, I had to agree, I mean, I really wanna know what's behind my father's culture. 

"Knock knock." someone said. It didn't sound like mother.

"who's that?" I asked in english.

"oh, umm... me..... neighber... yeah." he sound like he doesn't know how to speak english, so I laughed and apologized.

"Chwesonghamnida. Nuguseyo?"

I heard him sigh in relief.

"Oh thank goodness I thought you didn't know how to speak korean." he said. I felt him sat near me.

"Oh, hahaha sorry for... you know... thinking like that. I mean, I'm korean, don't I look like one?" I asked.

"Huh? Do you not use a mirror, or...." he trailed off. He must have noticed my walking stick.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were...."

"It's okay. But answer me... What do I look like? don't I look korean at all?"

"Actually, you look like a western girl. White skin, big eyes, a pointy nose, red lips... You look like an american."

With what he described I tried to picture what I look like. I kinda look.... beautiful? I smiled at my imagination.

"Hi, I'm Jang Shinwoo, your neighbor." he said. I felt him take my right hand and shaked it with his own.

"I'm Kang Rian, your new neighbor."

We had 3 seconds of awkward silence before we laughed uncontrollably.

"So? Any Interests? I mean, I have to know these things, since you're my first friend here." I asked him.

"Ummm... I don't know, you might think this is weird..." he seemed hesitant.

"Come on, tell me."

"I.... specialize in... Vampire annihilation."

I giggled.

"See, I knew you'd laugh."

"Ani, I just think... It's cute... how you believe in those kinds of stuff."

"No, they're real. Especially here in Gangwon, where there are many mountains."

I gave him an odd look.

"You wouldn't believe me, but I've seen one, when I was about 6 years old. They run around town during midnight and bite innocent passersby. Even tourists!" he said excitedly.

"Jinjja? So, should we leave this place now?"

"Aniya, that's not what I meant...."

"Do other people know this? I mean, your parents, and the other villagers..."

"Ani, I was the only one that saw them, I even shouted for the neighbors to come, but before someone sees, they left. I'm not kidding here Rian, I know you had a very bad first impression of me, but be careful okay?"

"Aniya, actually I'm having fun time with you... And don't worry, no vampire will ever come near me."

I smiled at him. Actually, I was in the middle of deciding if I should really believe what he was talking about or not.... Oh I don't know...

"Yah Shinwoo! Are you telling the new neighbor about your encounter with the vampire again?" someone said.

"Eomma, we were chatting here! Go away!"

"Aniya! Come and get home now, we'll prepare some lunch for the new neighbours."

"But eomma-"

I heard the other person, which was his mom, shuffled and came near us. I didn't know what happened next though, I only heard Shinwoo's pained screams and his goodbye to me. I laughed. If only I could see what was going on....

At night time the new neighbours offered us to eat at their house. Mr and Mrs. Jang were very nice to us, but I guess not so much to their son.

"I'm glad to know you're an only child like me Shinwoo." I said as we were chatting by the porch.

I heard him chuckle.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked.

"Nothing, nothing... I'm just... feeling so happy that you feel the same way as I do."

I blushed a little with what he said, it's like he was hinting something I couldn't quite fathom.

"Well, I guess we will be going now. Good Night Mr and Mrs. Jang." I heard my mother coming out of their house. I searched for my walking stick, but was surprised when I felt Shinwoo took my hand and handed me the stick.

"You... uh... dropped it." he said. 

"Thank you. Good Night."

"Yeah, good night."

I blushed as I remembered how his warm and gentle hands made contact with my cold and fragile ones.

"Yah Shinwoo! Are you sick or what? You're as red as a tomato! HAHAHAHAHAHA!" his mother exclaimed.

"Eomma stop embarrassing me!" he said.

We all laughed and bid farewell.

After I prepared for bed, mother came to my room and tucked me to bed.

"Did you had fun meeting Shinwoo?" she asked.

"Yes. Very much."

"Now, rest well, and in a week you'll be entering school okay. There's this school for blind children very much near from where we are now."

I smiled and closed my eyes. I heard mother went out and turned off the lights. I am very happy, yet quite melancholic. What would tomorrow bring?

At 3 AM, I sat up straight from my bed. Something, or someone had crashed something inside my room. It made a little noise, but I can hear it very well even if I am sleeping.

"Who's there?" I asked. No one responded. But I felt someone was near me, looking at my eyes and observing me carefully.

"Who... are you?" I asked. I decided to move my hands and see if I could feel something. I wasn't afraid of ghosts, and monsters and dead creatures, for I can't see them no matter how they try to scare me. I was more afraid of the living. As I moved my hand, I felt that I touched someone's arm. With my fast reflexes I immediately grabbed it and pulled it closer.

"Why are you so cold?" I asked bravely.

"None of your business." that was the first time I heard him speak, so my suspicions were true. Someone broke into my room.

"Are you here to... kill me?" I asked once more. I've never been so brave in my life.

There was no response, but he broke free from my grasp, and I heard him jump out of the window and leave.

Who... is he? He didn't sound like Shinwoo, but if it was him, why would he sneak in my room at this hour? Who is that mysterious cold man?