The near future (excerpt)

EXOPLANET: First Class

 

The cold ocean breeze slapped the young man’s face as he got out of his car. The salty air burned his fresh scars but the pain was nothing compared to the pain of losing an ally. If only he hadn’t doubt himself. If only he was given more time to think, then he wouldn’t have lost the only person that could understand him better than himself. Chanyeol wasn’t just an ally. He was a companion, a partner, a friend, a brother. He was supposed to be the wall that should have protected them from harm. He was the leader, but his confidence became overshadowed by his doubts. He was too scared of his past that he couldn’t overcome them. And now he was beginning to lose grip of everything he held dear.

First it was Sehun, then Tao.

Chanyeol’s death made him helpless.

The young man limped his way closer to the shore. His right leg was hit by a sharp glass from the explosion earlier. Bright red blood dripped from the side of his thigh but the young man didn’t mind it. His right eye kept flickering as blood flowed endlessly from the scar on his temple. The bruises on his face had turned purple and blood has already dried from the cut from his lips. His body felt very heavy and his knees began to fail him. But he clenched his teeth and desperately tried to reach the shore. The ocean was very calm at that time, with small waves crashing the shore. If he had to crawl he would. Reaching the ocean shore was his only spark of hope, his only chance of finding the others.

 

…would ever happen if all of us were here? It’d be total chaos.”

Chanyeol smiled briefly, but his face could not hide the horror he was feeling. The happy memories felt so distant that he could not feel any comfort from them.

“Do you think we’d still have the chance to be together?” His question sounded so desperate that the older of the two could not muster any answers. “If we do…”

Chanyeol paused as an imaginary lump started to form in his throat. His eyes began to burn but he still tried to be strong. He ruffled his frizzy, orange hair in frustration. “ARGHH! This is making me crazy!” He stood up and closed his eyes to feel the light breeze of the ocean. “I’m gonna miss this beach. I hope I’ll be able to come back here again…”

 

The blonde-haired lad shook of his thoughts of his best friend. It was not the time to reminisce, even if his heart already started to wither in pain. He had a mission to finish. Chanyeol, Sehun, and Tao’s death would be meaningless if he failed. No matter what happens, no matter what consequences, even if it means his death, he would still go on. The other members were far important for him than his life. Everything. Everything for them. Leaving nothing for himself.

 

“Hyung, do you think we’ll make it?”

“Together. We will.”

“Promise?”

A brief yet meaningful smile was all it took to erase all fear.