Getting To Know Jiyong

My Life: On The Run!

 

Chapter 8

Later that night, MinAh returned to her dorm and saw Jiyong waiting for her. He had a serious look on his face as he was sitting in a chair in the living room with his legs crossed.

MinAh had a bad feeling about this and she was right. Jiyong cleared his throat. “So you weren’t in school today?” MinAh didn’t say anything and looked away.

Jiyong sighed. Today when he went to check on ShinKi, the teacher had told him that he wasn’t there and asked if Jiyong knew where he was. Jiyong made up a lie on the spot saying that ShinKi wasn’t feeling well. The teacher bought it, but Jiyong felt guilty immediately.

“I’ve never lied before,” Jiyong murmured, “and to think that I did it for a guy I barely knew. Did you know how I feel?”

MinAh still didn’t say anything, but she felt pretty bad. She guessed that Jiyong was doing a lot of things for her that he probably never did in his entire life. She wanted to so badly ask why he was even bothering then, but kept shut.

Jiyong observed her. She squirmed, scared of what he was going to do or say. But then Jiyong let out a small chuckle and stood up. He walked over to her and ruffled her head. MinAh glared at him, but was caught off guard by his gentle smile. It really made him look … handsome.

“I forgive you. But in return for lying for you today, I want you to come grocery shopping with me, now.” Jiyong firmly told her.

MinAh wanted to say no, but she knew that it was her fault anyway. She didn’t regret ditching today, though. Besides, it’s not like they were going to go anywhere special, just shopping.

A few minutes later, they were walking outside of the school to town. They were walking side-by-side, not talking. For MinAh, she didn’t care, but for Jiyong he was a bit nervous and he didn’t know why.

To Jiyong, ShinKi was a bit different and intimidated him in a way. Not because of his cold aura, but because … He was the first person who never tried to get his attention. Jiyong had to be honest, he was popular, a kingka actually, and people always tried to get him to hang out or talk with them. And he actually liked the attention. But whenever ShinKi ignored him, he grew a bit frustrated yet … curious.

It wasn’t long until they reached the super market. Jiyong grabbed a wagon and MinAh followed. Everything that Jiyong called off from the list, MinAh grabbed and placed in the wagon.

They were walking down the frozen section when MinAh got distracted. Her eyes saw the mochi ice creams and they stayed glued on it. *It’s the mochi ice creams! Ah … I want to eat one right now.*

Jiyong noticed and smiled softly. He found it funny how MinAh was distracted by it and laughed out loud when she walked into a person’s wagon. MinAh bowed her head in apology and shot Jiyong a killer look. Jiyong walked by her, poking her forehead along the way, and grabbed the box of mochi ice creams then placed it in the wagon. MinAh’s eyes widened. *He noticed? … Nah he probably wanted it for himself.*

They continued with the rest of their shopping and took it up to the cashier. After paying for it they walked out. But instead of going straight home, Jiyong sat down on a bench nearby. MinAh tilted her head in confusion.

“Sit.” Jiyong told her and rummaged through one of the bag and grabbed out a box, but MinAh couldn’t see. “Come on, I won’t bite.” MinAh refused. “The longer you stay there, the longer it’ll take to get back. I know you don’t know your way back.”

MinAh pondered about that and realized that he was right, so she sat reluctantly with a sour mood. But it changed when Jiyong held a mochi ice cream out. MinAh didn’t take it at first, but Jiyong nudged it towards her, so she took it. Jiyong took one out for him and took a bite. “Yummy. Go on, eat yours.”

MinAh looked down at her chocolate mochi ice cream and took a bite. The cold and yummy flavor burst in and she found herself humming with satisfaction. Jiyong chuckled and took another bite. He couldn’t remember the last time her had one. *It definitely has been a while.*

“W-why?” Jiyong heard a low yet sweet voice ask him. He turned to look at ShinKi, wondering if it was him. “W-what did you say?”

“Why?”

Jiyong almost fell out of his seat. *He’s talking to me. He’s seriously talking to me!* “Why what?”

MinAh kept her gaze on her mochi ice cream. She didn’t know why, but she just had the urge to ask him everything. “Why … Are you doing this?”

Jiyong felt as though that question was for everything since they first met but he didn’t know what to say. So he said the first thing on his mind. “Because you’re different. I find it weird also, don’t worry, especially since you’re a guy.” MinAh chuckled a little at the irony of that. “I don’t mean different in a bad way though. While I’m viewed as an idol in school, I feel worthless in your eyes. I think … I like it. I don’t feel so pressured yet I want your attention. God, I feel gay.”

MinAh laughed, she couldn’t help it. *If only you knew I was a girl. You probably wouldn’t be thinking such a thing.* Jiyong heard it, and laughed along with her. “I guess I’m just weird.”

“Aniyo.” MinAh felt all the anger and the annoying emotions drift away and was replaced with content and comfort. Now that she saw the reason behind his motives, she realized that she was in the wrong. “It’s perfectly normal, I think. Although, I can’t say the same since I’ve been getting attention that I never wanted.”

“Wow … That’s the most I’ve heard so far. I hope you’ll continue to talk to me like this tomorrow and in the future.” Jiyong gave her his soft smile. She felt dizzy at that moment because it reminded her of a moment back in her past. “But … It’s weird. To be honest, I’ve always been a guy who never cared about those around me yet strive on their attention. I know their motives, though, and that’s why I don’t try to interact with them. Although, I like their attentions because it makes me feel like a higher being.”

“Why don’t you want to befriend them?”

“It’s because of my status.” Jiyong murmured, eating another mochi ice cream. “People befriend me to raise their status or to get something from me. It’s a curse for me and I learned from my mistake. You, on the other hand, aren’t like them. I know that. I can tell … You’re like me in a way, maybe you’re still going through a problem similar to ones I had.”

MinAh blinked. She couldn’t be sure if they were similar, but she didn’t want to say anything. Instead, she ate the rest of her mochi ice cream and held out for another one. Jiyong chuckled and gave her another one. They ate the rest of the box in peace and silence.

"Mianhe, Jiyong." MinAh murmured after a while.

"It's all forgiven ... If you call me hyung."

*What is it with guys and making me call them hyung ... Oh right I'm a guy.*

MinAh smiled. "Mianhe, hyung."

*I guess … Jiyong isn’t so bad after all.*

*ShinKi … Is it weird to say that the only time I’ve ever been peaceful … Is in your presence?*