Start of Something Crazy

My Life: On The Run!

 

Chapter 1

It was a quiet morning one day. People were in their house or out at the park enjoying the sunny day. Couples were found on the street. All is well in this town… all except for one.

“WHAT?!” A girl’s voice could be heard near one of the store. This girl was extremely pretty with brown wavy hair. She almost looked like an innocent kid with her height and look … Almost. On her face was the scariest look ever created. The girl took a deep breathe and a thin smile appeared on her face. “Can you please repeat that?”

A man sighs on the other side of the phone that MinAh was talking through. “I’m saying that the best thing I can do for you is transferring you into this prestigious boarding school for the rich. It’s a sure way to get under cover and for you to also finish high school.”

“Ah, yes but you missed out on the part where I have to look like a boy!” MinAh hissed.

“It’s a boarding school for boys only. It’s the last place he’ll look for you. Honestly he probably won’t even try to look for you there. If you stay there long enough, he might just forget his pursue and you get to graduate as well. It’s killing two birds with one stone!”

“I know I said that I wanted to graduate high school at least, but of all places why a boarding school for the rich and for boys? Aren’t there any girl’s boarding school?”

The man said something under his breathes then answered, “Honey, I already told. I checked everywhere, no other schools outside of your area yet is in Korea is available! Only this one. I mean, you can keep living on the street if you want that. I actually was able to land you a scholarship on this. Your food, hygiene, dorm, tuition fee, everything is all paid for! All you have to do is just keep a 4.0 going.”

MinAh wanted to punch something over and over, but she refrained herself from that. She didn’t need looks on her. But she was not at all comfortable with changing into a boy and being surrounded by boys.*What if I get caught?! I’ll be humiliated!*

“MinAh,” the guy said in a soft voice, “you really have no other choice. It’s either this or keeps running on the street away from him. He’s a rich guy, so he can practically keep his pursue up without spending a dime!”

*Damn! Why does he have to be right?* Minah sighed and gave in, defeated. “Alright, I guess I have no other choice. But I don’t know how to change myself into a boy!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be right there.” The voice chuckled and hanged up.

Minah waited around the store for half an hour before her contact came. “Minah!” Someone called out. Minah looked up to see her best friend in the whole wide world and her loyal contact coming up to her, Kibum. He pulled her into a hug, which she reacted to stiffly but didn’t hesitate to return it, and looked her up and down. “Damn, you lost weight … Again! And I only just saw you last month?”

Minah rolled her eyes. “Whatever, just please tell me how I’m going to change into a boy? I’m not being conceited here, but I know for a fact that my face can’t get away with being a boy and my isn’t exactly flat.”

Kibum winked and pulled her into one of the clothing stores. “Don’t worry, leave that to me.”

They spent the next hour or two trying on clothes and buying them. They went through the underwear section, which Minah was embarrassed to be in, clothing section, accessories and shoes. After that they spent another hour trying to teach Minah the basic of acting like a guy. Minah was strongly against it and refused to do so.

“Minah! Come on, you have to do this if you want to pass for a guy!” Kibum sighed.

Minah shook her head and growled. “Forget this! I am a girl! A girl! Not a guy!”

Kibum rolled his eyes and admitted defeat for now. He proceeded to take her to the salon. “Why are we here?” Minah asked.

“What else? To cut your hair of course.” Minah’s eyes widened and she grabbed her long brown wavy hair. “What? I don’t want to cut it off! This is my only tie … with my family.”

“Well … Let’s take a picture so that you can always look back. Alright?”

Minah just wanted to say no to the whole thing, but she couldn’t exactly do that when she knew just how much Kibum went through to help her. It wasn’t a story best said now, but it’s one worth remembering later. Minah meekly nodded her head and they took a picture, and then proceeded with cutting her hair.

Kibum told the hairstylist what to do who followed with enthusiasm that could’ve scared a kid away. Minah thought she was just acting like that for the money. After a while, Minah walked out of the salon with short, blond hair. She bit her lip and kept fussing with her hair.

“This hair is too short! I want my other hair back!” Minah complained.

Kibum ignored her complaint and scanned her from head to toe. “Damn, you’re right. You still look like a girl. Actually … You look even cuter with the short hair!”

MinAh gave him her killer look. Kibum placed his hands up in defense. “Just saying. But … Everyone will definitely know you’re a girl this way.”

Minah sighed, feeling defeated until she spotted something inside the windows. “Kibum! What if … I wear that?” Kibum followed her finger and his eyes widened. “That’s perfect! I’ll be right back!”

Kibum ran into the store and bought the accessory that was displayed one the window. He rushed back out and gave it to Minah who hastily placed it on. Kibum bit his lip and whistle. “Wow … You look y now. Still a bit feminine but you also look masculine.”

Minah nodded and a triumph smile lit her face, but it couldn’t be seen because of the new mask that Kibum had just bought. It covered the bottom half of her face so that only her eyes could be seen and the bridge of her nose. With the men clothing that she was wearing, hairstyle that she now has and the mask she definitely could pass for a guy.

“If you really were a guy, I’d probably hit on you myself.”

Minah stepped back in disgust. “I’d probably be running away from you.”

Kibum pouted but pat her head. “I really think you’ll pull this off though. Remember, this is to hide and to graduate. If he keeps up with his pursue, I’m sure you’ll find a way to shake him off.”

“Yeah … I wonder how long I can keep doing this though.”

They both went into silence. That night, Minah spent the night at Kibum’s house and the next day she was at the train station, ready to go to her boarding school. Kibum hugged her tightly. “I’m going to miss our hit-and-miss days.”

“Yeah … Kibum, thank you for everything. If it wasn’t for-,”

“Yeah, yeah, if it wasn’t for me you’d probably be in his hands already. I get it already, I’m the best!” Kibum flaunted before turning serious. “But, if it’s you then I wouldn’t even think twice. Our history is too precious for me to just abandon.” The train whistled, signaling its departure. “I guess there’s your leave. I’ll call you whenever I can.”

Minah nodded and trudge onto the train. She waved to Kibum as the train departed. Minah wasn’t one to make friends, but she and Kibum had a long lasting friendship that could never be severed. Minah sighed and placed on her mask. This was the start of her new life filled with craziness.