Dream

Beautiful Target

 

 

Donghyun parked his car in one of the parking lots nearby the building in which his job interview was scheduled. He adjusted his neck tie and hair while looking at his reflection in the car’s rear- view mirror. Once he was satisfied with his appearance, he left the vehicle. He walked down the busy street with clenched fists and a strong mind. His close friend had gotten him a job interview the next day he’d told her he’d been fired. Donghyun was always amazed at the girl’s connections. He didn’t really know what the job was about but she told him he would get the money he needed and even more. That’s all he needed, money.


While chasing his dream of becoming a singer, Donghyun got himself bogged down in debt. He’d been working in a super-market in the afternoon, giving dance classes on weekends and working as a bartender at night to get his head above water. Nevertheless it wasn’t enough to cover his debts and living in such an expensive city as Seoul wasn’t helping. Now that Donghyun thought about it, maybe he should have begged the dance club to tell the cops about his assumed abuse of students and let them put him in prison. At least he wouldn’t need to worry about money and he’d had a place to sleep. However, the club obviously didn’t want to ruin its image with this kind of crap and fired him without further ado.

 

While waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, he looked at the city’s big screens. One of them was displaying a performance. Young boys were dancing, singing and rapping on a meaningful song. ”BTS” Donghyun read on the screen. He had never heard of them before but guessed they were a rookie band.  He sighed when he thought about himself, his age, his lack of courage, talent and accomplishment. He couldn’t even remember when the last time he sang or played the piano was. The more the time passed the more he had forgotten about his life goal, the one he had given up everything for : he said goodbye to his family and friends as he moved to the city;  gave up on his studies and the chance to get a proper job.

Donghyun’s parents were the most affected by his decision. They wouldn’t look at him anymore. Their son being a singer was not worthy of their high education and collection of diplomas. To be honest, Donghyun didn’t miss his parents; they had always been pressuring him, trying to mold him in their image, regardless of his aspirations. When he left the nest, Donghyun made a promise to himself, that he wouldn’t go back until he became famous. He wanted to show them that he could also succeed in life while taking a different path than theirs. 



Unfortunately the chance of grasping fame seemed to have disappeared for the man. He didn’t feel like practicing or attending auditions anymore. Even singing, which he loved so much didn’t appeal him anymore. He had lost his motivation and passion around one year ago; at the same time he’d lost his number one fan and only supporter. The only thing he didn’t totally give up was dancing, because he could make some money out of it –well, not anymore- and also because of Minwoo. Minwoo, the boy reminded him of that person that disappeared one year ago. He loved Minwoo’s shining eyes and radiant smile he earned from him every time he’d dance. The same admiration he used to receive when he sang for his one and only fan one year ago. He reminisced the happy times they shared together, the hours they spent practicing together and more. He wondered why it had to end. How could only one person turn your life upside down so easily ?  He ruffled his hair in frustration. Thinking about the past wouldn’t solve anything. He had to concentrate on getting the job before anything else.

 

He entered the building and rode the empty elevator when his cellphone vibrated. He checked the ID of the caller and smiled when he read his friend’s name.


“Don’t worry I’m on my way to the job interview.” He told his friend.


“That’s good” She answered.


“Were you checking on me ?”


“No, why would you think so ?” she laughed slightly “I just wanted to say good luck to my favorite oppa”

 

“Thank you Dasom. I’m so happy to have you.”


As his friend didn’t say anything Donghyun was sure she must have been blushing as she always did every time he would be sweet to her or call her name. “I’m reaching the interview room now, I’ll call you when I’m finished”


“G-got it, G-good luck Donghyun oppa !” He heard his friend Dasom stutter shyly.


Donghyun grinned and hung up. His friend was always cute and caring towards him. He wasn’t lying when he said he was happy to have her. She’s been helping him a lot; lending him money or inviting him for dinner when the times were hard for Donghyun. She even asked him if he wanted to move in with her for free but he refused. He didn’t want to take advantage of his friend. He told himself that all the things she gave him, he will give it back as soon as he could afford it.

 

 


 



Thank you to endboss for helping me betareading this <3