Faded Memory

I'll find my prince , someday.

 

I was young at the time , so I don’t remember much .  I was too innocent to know what was happening in the dark , tainted outside world. I only remember specific incidents that warmed my heart.

I had a close childhood friend . No , we were more than friends . Even though we were not more than five , our bond was as thick as blood and unbreakable . He was my angel , my protector.

My father and his father were business partners. Since my mother died when I was young , I naturally followed my father everywhere , and of course to visit his business partner .

I visited the mansion where my childhood friend stayed almost every week with my father. While they talked about things and numbers , I would play with his son – Jinyoung.

I still remember how Jinyoung looked like . He had soft , straight brown hair and milky skin . His eyes were dark brown and they always twinkled whenever he was happy . His frame was tall and thin , and his voice was always quiet yet ….. Soothing. When I first saw him , I thought I was in heaven and had met an angel.

Jinyoung was kind to me, unlike other boys his age . Even though he was a bit older than me , he coaxed me into speaking to him , even though I was shy and awkward by nature . We became friends quickly , and I always looked forward to going over to visit the mansion because it meant I could spend time with him.

When I visited the mansion with my father , Jinyoung would bring me around outside the house and we’d play catching or sometimes just lay under the trees and sleep. Other times , we’d talk to each other about things like toys and games , wrapped up in our own little magical world . As time passed , I grew to like him a lot .

********

“ Jinyoung oppa , where are we going ? “ I asked him curiously . He turned back and answered , “ It’s a secret , Min-rae. Follow me . “ I took his outstretched hand without a moment of hesitation , and he led me to the centre of the garden.

“ Min-rae , my father is going to have this fountain built soon . Isn’t it wonderful ? “ He pointed to a fountain that nearby where a few workers were in the process of building it . It was a large gold water fountain with carvings of fairies on its side . “ Yes , it’s pretty . “ I agreed .

“ When it’s finished , I want to sit here with you and play . We could eat here and play here. “ Jinyoung said in his musical , child-like voice , breaking my train of thought .

“ I can’t wait to sit here with you too , oppa …. “ I smiled at him . His eyes sparkled and he bowed to me .

“ Of course , princess . “ He replied.

“ What princess ? “ I laughed merrily , reaching for his hand . He laughed .

“ You’ll be the princess , and I’ll be the prince . “ He took my hand , and after that , the memory faded away into nothingness.