Before I Die

Before I Die

 

There are a lot of things I wish to do before I die.

 

“Sehun, can you feel my hand?”

 

As Luhan’s little brother, a lot of those things are greatly influenced by him.

 

“Mm-hmm…” Sehun reached for his brother’s hand, the sound of his breath had weakened. “It’s… it’s warm,”

 

For instance, I want to skydive. Luhan loves skydiving so much that he’d rather miss lunch than his skydiving routine. I have never done this, though. I never have the courage to. But despite my nervousness about skydiving, I believe Luhan too knows that deep down, I really want to do it.

 

“Then keep your hand in mine,” Luhan whispered. “Don’t let go,”

 

Another one is surfing. Luhan is a very adventurous person and I don’t know where he got it from. I don’t think he got it from our parents, though, ‘cause if he did, I must’ve inherited it too.

 

It was the eighth day. They left their house last week, having no idea that it might be the last time they stepped their feet into their home. Armed with food and water supply for a maximum of three days, they went hiking on a beautiful, leafy hill, planning on coming back home after the sun set.

 

My list of before-I-die things to do always changes overtime. Once I wanted to be a MySpace sensation, but it got old before I hardly even had ten friends.

 

Without knowing there was going to be storm.

 

I once put ‘meeting Kurt Cobain’ on the list cause, you know, he was a legend, but then I found out he actually died in the exact same month I was born.

 

Heavy rain poured down on their way downhill, and the leafy hill got as slippery as ever. The sky was a lot darker than they had expected it to be, and another second they realized they had slipped to a deep, dark chasm in the belly of the hill.

 

Time after time, my list becomes more and more packed with adventurous stuff that Luhan had actually done.

 

There was no way out—even climbing the steep, slippery cliff seemed impossible. They tried everything they could to get out, but they finally accepted the fact that they could not do it alone.

 

He had asked me several—many, even—times to come with him and his friends to go diving, or rock climbing, or whatever else it might be, but I never really said yes, although really, deep down I want to do it badly. But it was just that my guts and my brain always keep fighting.

 

Fortunately, there was signal.

 

Until finally one day, I said yes.

 

Unfortunately, it couldn’t last long. Their batteries died, and there was no way a power plug was available in the chasm. But luckily they had contacted a few of Luhan’s friends and their parents. Now all they had to do was sit and wait.

 

Since that night of agreeing on going hiking with him, my bucket list diverts to a more varied diversity. I want to learn to cook. I want to ride a limo. Feed a hungry lion.

 

But the waiting never ended.

 

They just keep changing, changing and changing.

 

“Are you thirsty, Sehun-ah?” Luhan whispered to him again, his voice was equally weak. “I can get you some water,”

Sehun shook his head a little, smiling although his lips could barely move. He knew Luhan wasn’t telling the truth. There was no water anymore. And even if there was any, none of their bodies, which were now lying helplessly on the ground, were strong enough to get it.

 

Hiking with Luhan had made me realize how much fun he had been having all along, and how much fun I had been missing all this time.

 

Guess now there was only one thing they could really wait for.

 

So since then, we started hiking regularly.

 

Death.

 

I became really fond of hiking, and regarding so, my bucket list changes to things related to hiking. Like buying a fancy digital compass. Or being better in reading maps.

 

Supplies of food and water were all empty—they managed to keep themselves fed until four days, with food they planned on finishing in one day. Still no one came to rescue. The only source of energy left was themselves. Their love to each other. Them being there for each other. Their hope that they would eventually get out of there.

 

Luhan is already good at all those things. Reading maps. Creating complicated knots. Making fire. 

 

“Sehun-ah,” Luhan snapped, his voice suddenly sounded stronger. “Did you hear that? I heard Jongin’s voice, did you?”

Luhan saw it. The sun just rose, drops of dew fell into the chasm. He saw a silhouette. Then he heard voices. Voices of people he knew. Voices of his friends. He believed it wasn’t hallucination—they were all so real. The silhouette was gone, as if going to tell the others that he had found them. For the first time in this most difficult week in his life, he found hope again.

 

One day I wrote on my before-I-die list, ‘I want to be like Luhan’.

 

“Luhan! Sehun! You hear me?!”

Kris’ voice. Yes, it was them. It was their friends. They found them! Luhan tightened his grip around Sehun’s cold hand, and he could see a rope was being thrown down the chasm.

 

But even if it’s undoable and I will never be like Luhan, there is one thing that I think is possible.

 

“Sehun?” he whispered. “Sehun, they’re finally here, can you see that?”

 

One thing that never changes.

 

“Sehun?”

Silence. Luhan squeezed his little brother’s hand. His eyes were shut tight, as if he was in a sound, peaceful sleep.

“Sehun?”

No answer. He looked up and saw their friends start climbing down, and at the same time, he noticed Sehun’s chest had stopped moving up and down.

“Sehun!”

 

One thing that will never change, whatever different interests I become fond of.

 

“Sehun-ah!!”

He wasn’t there anymore.

 

Before I die, I want to always be Luhan’s little brother.

 

***

 

A/N Have you guys watched Little Manhattan? THAT MOVIE IS SO CUTE.

By the way, I didn't feel like writing today but the idea of this oneshot suddenly struck my head when I was doing the dishes, so yeah here you go. I'm sorry for making our little baby killed. It was fun killing him, though.

Now I feel guilty.

By the way don't forget to read my fic on Taoris, 'For the Vow I Broke'. I've been very much urged to write brotherhood stories lately...

And seriously you guys?! 200+views and only 2 readers actually bothered to leave a trace?!

Lol loveyouall<3

Thanks for reading!

Image credit goes to firefly-wp on deviantArt