03

When The Death Is Near

 

The next morning you find yourself lying on the couch at the main room at the veranda of the rest house. The intense light from the sun, strikes into your eyes. You squint several times and rub your eyes. What time is it? You ask yourself. Did I sleep here for the whole night?

With a racing heart you bravely step back into the room where your family is supposed to be. You gap the front door and prepare for the consequences that might occur. It fills with silence. No one’s here. Phew! You let out a relief breath.

In seconds, you grab your backpack and leave the room immediately. Who knows what’ll happen if they come back before you left. You make your way to the tavern where Tao is. He told you that if you need him, he’ll be there. You don’t know why, but at this particular moment he’s the person that you want to see the most. You change your clothes on your way there.

Once you enter the tavern, a view of a guy- sitting at one corner of the tavern appears to your sight. He’s slurping his drink and a girl serve him a plate of hot pancake. Tao gives her a smile and starts nibbling on the pancake. You comfortably take a seat in front of him.

“Hi…” You greet him.

“Hey…”    He looks up to you and grins. “How’s your night?”

“Terrible.” You said, narrowing your eyes. You begin to tell him every single thing that happened to you. About your grandmother, your father who won’t talk to you and the weird man, who’s attacking you in the woods near the rest house last night. He listens to what you say devotedly.

“Are you alright?” He asks once you’re done talking.

You shrug. “I don’t know but can you help me?”

“As long as I’m able to do it, I'll help.”

“Explain everything.” You said with a serious tone exist in your voice. “I know you know something.”

He gulps and slurps his drink. Tao changes his eyes direction from mine. He pretends to get interested to his pancake. He cuts it with the knife and shoves into his mouth. You stay there, until he finishes all of his pancakes and drinks.

“Now can you tell me?” You touch his hand, griping it. With a little hope inside your heart, you wait for him to respond. However, the moment is being interrupted. Someone is calling for him.

“Tao, come here for a sec.” A voice from behind the counter calls him with a frowning face.

“Coming hyung…” He answers and get up from his sit. “I'll talk to you later.” He forces a smile for you and ambles towards the guy that he addressed as hyung just now. You fix your eyes on them. The guy that calls for Tao keeps pointing at your direction. They are having a really short conversation before they enter a room.

You tap your fingers on the table, waiting for him to come out. It’s been more than 10 minutes. You’re eager to know what they’re talking about. You’re sure that they are talking about you. So you end up peeking through the door to hear their talking.

The room that they’re in is more like a storage room. One dim bulb lighted the room. The shelves on the wall are pack with bottles of many types of drinks flavor.

“You wasted all your time waiting for her at this town…” The guy says to him.

“I regret nothing, Chanyeol hyung.” Tao mumbles under his breath.

“Ridiculous. Because you wait for her…” Chanyeol hits a counter next to him, letting out a loud thumping sound. Tao jerks a bit away from him. “You even rejected the offer letter for you to further your studying!”

Then, the atmosphere in the room is fills with silence for a minute. You wonder who they are talking about. It doesn’t seem that they’re still talking about you anymore. You’re about to leave and forget about their discussion but then you find something interesting.

 

Tao. He waits here at this town for someone. A girl. Who could it be?    

 

“She’s back.” Tao breaks the quiet room.

She’s back?  You ask the question stupidly to yourself. As if they can hear you.

“She’s dead Tao. How could she be back?”

“I’ve met her hyung.”

“Are you crazy?” Chanyeol snorts and crosses his arms on his chest. “You must be turning like her mother too.”

“You know that I can see things that aren't supposed to be seen right?” His statement catches Chanyeol’s and your attention. “She’s here.”

“What? Are you saying that you’ve seen her… as a ghost?”

“I just met her.”

Chanyeol looks at him intensely. He breathes in and out heavily.  Giving him a look full of curiosity, he continues, “Is that why you’re talking to yourself back there?”

“I didn’t talk to myself.” Tao shifts closer to Chanyeol. “I talk to her. I talk to _____.” He emphasizes every sentence.

“Tao…” Chanyeol pats his shoulder. “Forget about her. She’s dead. It’s been years. You’ve been waiting for her too long now. Even if you meet her again, you can’t bring her back to life.”

“Nothing can come between me and her.” Tao furrow his brow. “Not even death.”

Tao’s words shock you. Your heart is beating faster. You couldn’t feel your legs anymore.  This is nonsense. Nothing makes sense. You can’t be dead. If you are, how can you be here? It’s too confusing. Do you have to believe with what he said?

“You know what Tao…” Chanyeol gives a glare to him. “You’re out of your mind.”

You push the door of the room where Tao and Chanyeol are. When you enter, Tao notices you but not Chanyeol. Chanyeol walks out of the room. He doesn’t seem to realize your present at all. In fact, when he’s trying to get out of the room he almost hit you who is standing right in front of him.  

“Is it true?” You ask, once Chanyeol is out of sight. “I’m… de… dead?” The word almost didn’t come out from your mouth.

“You heard?” He doesn’t answer. Instead he gives you a question that doesn’t need to be reply.

“So… it’s true then…” You step forward to him. “I am dead.” He remains silent while I keep on talking and mumbling more questions to him. “If I’m dead, how can I be here? Is that why my grandmother keeps attacking me and how does my mother sees me? Is she like you too? And most importantly how did I die?”

Tao stares into you. His expression is nothing but pity and feels sorry towards you. How could he? Who is he actually to you? Why does he wait for you?

Unexpectedly, you raise your voice. “Can you just explain to me right now?!” You can’t be patient anymore. He’s been avoiding from your questions now and then.

“Let’s have a walk outside.” He ambles towards the door but you block him with your body.

“No. I want you to talk, right here. Right now.” You widen your eyes to him, showing how serious you are.

He hauls a wooden chair and rest himself down. Tao sighs. “Fine. You ask for it. Don’t regret anything.”

“I won’t.” You say - crossing your arms. 

"Alright... here's how it is..."

 

============================

hi there... thank you for subscribing! Do tell me what do you think of this chapter alright you ? ^^