02

When The Death Is Near

 

“Darn it!” Your father hits the steering wheel. He tries to turn on the engine again, but he fails. He’s being trying to starts the car engine from the time you’re out of the tavern. He steps out of the car and grab on his cell phone. There’s no signal and it’s already dark at night. He grunts louder. Your mother is in her own world. She strolls around and pick up flowers near the tree trunk.

Your grandmother just looks at her daughter’s action. You’ve been trying to avoid your grandmother up till now. Every time she sees you, she’ll begin to recite things. You’re scare of her. You try to tell you parents about it but they don’t take it into account.

Your mother who is currently standing next to you says.   “I always love you _____.” She mumbles out of the blue, without looking at you. She plays with the flowers in her hand.

“I love you too, mom.” You say back.

After a moment, your father approaches you and your mom.  He looks at your mom and tells her that we need to stay at the nearest chalet or a rest house. He grabs the luggage from the bonnet and you take yours. 

“I don’t want to stay with grandma. She’s getting weirder!” You notify your dad, but like before, he ignores you. “Dad.” You call him. He however, walks away, dragging your mother and your grandmother to the rest house. He must be mad that you’ve said those things about your grandmother. You sigh and follow them from behind.

You and your family reach the rest house. A really remote rest house. You have to stride through the woods and bushes to get here. You told your parents that you want to take a walk outside once you get into the room. You haven’t got their answer yet but you already step outside. You don’t want to stay there any longer with your now so-weird-grandma.    

The moon tonight is full. The light from it can lighten up the path that you’re walking. The cold night breeze is attacking your bare neck, hands and legs. Just then, you curse yourself for wearing sleeveless t-shirt and short jeans. You need to grab the sweatshirt inside your backpack that you brought along with you. Recalling the fact that the old woman (your grandmother) is in there, you resist yourself from getting inside. Not until after midnight. At that time, she might have been fall asleep.

You rub your arms to produce some heat, when then you see that a pair of eyes is staring at you. You look back and take a quick glance at the person. He is just standing quite far from you, like a pole. You can’t see his face due to the darkness of the night but you can feel his eyes are definitely staring at you. His body seems weak.

Go back… to where… you’re from…” Something whispers in your ears.

Your neck hair begins to stand up. You rub your neck and look back at front. His eyes are still on you, you can feel it. The whispers continue. This time the voice of the whisperer begin to coarse. “You shouldn’t be here…”

You quicken your steps and you turn your head to see if he’s still there. The strange man is gone. He’s not there anymore. You start to slow down your movement but then you bump into something. You look ahead and the guy who’s staring at you just now is standing right in front of you. “You shouldn’t be here!” He cries out and tries to grab you.

You scream but he doesn’t go away. He marches towards you. You crawl backwards from him and struggle to get on your legs. When you do, you run as fast as you can into the rest house. The light from inside the building calms you a little. You peek through the window to certify if he’s out there somewhere. He’s nowhere to be seen. Maybe he’s gone for real this time.

 

Who is he? Why does he say that I shouldn’t be here?

 

You get yourself to the bar and order some drink but the bartender doesn’t seem to notice you there. She keeps on wiping the glass on her hand with narrow eyes. Does she have thing that’s been bothering her? You give up with the idea of having a drink. You get back to the room. Slowly, you open the door, trying not to make any single noise. It’s already past midnight. That old woman might have gone to bed already.

I amble to the small kitchen inside the room. A bowl of kimchi fried rice is left on the counter. It is untouched. Did mom left this for me? You ask yourself and feel touch that your mother did that .You grab a spoon and eat it. After some time you realize something weird. It’s the food. You keep on shoving it into your mouth but it doesn’t finish. The bowl is still full. You put down the spoon and push the bowl away.

“What is happening around here?” You can sense your body starts to tremble.

Mom… You thought. The person that you feel like you need the most right now is your mother. You storm into your parents’ bedroom and found her sitting on the balcony, alone-staring at the sky. He’s not in the room. Where could your father be at this time? Calmly you approach your mom, not intend to startle her. You rest yourself on the chair next to her.

“Mom, something strange is happening to me.” You utter, playing with your finger. “I don’t know what to do.” Tears start to form in your eyes. You wipe the tears quickly and sniff. “I’m scared... Please help me.”

“I’m always here for you _____. We’ll find a way.” Your mother answer with a smile flashes from her red thin lips. She doesn’t look at you though. Her eyes flicker under the moonlight. Is she crying as well?

She must be worry for you. You shouldn’t have bothered her with your problems. You bite your lips, regretting for telling her. “I’m really sorry mom. It’s okay I'll figure it out myself.” You stand up and kiss your mother on her cheek. You spend a little more time there, sitting without any conversation. Nevertheless, you feel so at ease when you are there with your mother.

Not long after that, your serenity that night is being disturbs when your grandmother steps into the balcony and recites words that cause your whole body hurt loudly. The pain is unbearable. You squat on the floor, hugging yourself while your mother pushes your grandmother back into the room and shut the balcony door off-leaving you alone outside at the balcony. The pains gradually lose from your sense.

Why does this suddenly happening to me? You scream inside your head. This is too sudden. In fact, none of this makes sense. What is it with all of this?

When the atmosphere become calmer inside, you peek through the door-to see if your grandmother is still there. She’s asleep with your mother on the master bed. Your father is still not back yet.

You push the balcony door and lurk out from the rest house that your father has check in. It’ll be better if you don’t sleep there tonight. With your grandmother who is not going to rest attacking you whenever she sees you, you’ll never be at peace.

If only you could find him. He’s the only one who keeps on playing through your mind up till now.

 

Tao… I really need you…

 

Soooo? How's the second chapter, you ^.^ do leave comment and subscribe alright?? Lots of happiness for you, you !