III

IT MIGHT BE YOU

 

GD’S P.O.V

 

“Since you’ve just arrived, I think it’s better if you take a rest and we will be doing activities tomorrow and some sightseeing if you’d like.” Seungri informed me as I sighed. How am I going to tell him this? Whatever, might as well.

 

“Seungri I appreciate your concern, but I’ve been to Boracay five times and I’ve been to places as well. I just wanted to have some company during my stay here in Boracay, if you know what I mean.”

 

“Oh!” I hope I didn’t hurt his feelings. “Sir, I’m flattered but…” flattered? What the heck?! “I am straight and I don’t judge.”

 

“Oh no! You’ve got it all wrong.” I chuckled to myself. “I’ve never been on a trip before without a friend or a family member and I hate being alone, so I wanted someone who knows Boracay by heart in case I get lost. Also, you speak their language and I won’t have to worry if I said something wrong in English.”

 

“Of course! I apologize for everything, I just assumed that… Sorry.”

 

“It’s alright. Now, do you have a girlfriend?”

 

“Neh?”

 

“It would be nice if your girlfriend gets to join us as well. The more the merrier.”

 

“I see. Yes, I do have a girlfriend and her name is Lee Chaerin.”

 

“Is she also Korean?”

 

“Yes.” He sighed. Something is wrong.

 

“I just met you Seungri but I’m good at reading people’s expression and according to your expression, you are bothered by something. Am I wrong?”

 

He gasped. “How did you know? Are you a doctor?”

 

“This is one of the reasons why I wanted a vacation—I’ve had too much Psychology classes. Now, tell me everything about it now. I’m starving.”

 

NARRATOR’S P.O.V

 

Seungri and Jiyong became friends instantly after Seungri’s confession about her dad’s attitude towards him.

 

“This is why you need my help more than you know.” Jiyong chuckled to himself and they both laughed at his dry joke. He turned his head to his right and saw the side view of a familiar face. Seungri took notice and followed his gaze.

 

“Do you know her?”

 

“Maybe.” He smiled to himself and watched her walk away from him. “Let’s go!”

 

“Wait! I haven’t eaten any dessert yet.” Seungri whined while running so he could catch up with him.

 

“Who would’ve thought that she’s also a guest here in this same hotel?” he muttered to himself and watched her enter the elevator. “Wait!” he yelled at her and the elevator doors stopped from closing.

 

“Which floor?” she asked in her British accent.

 

“Twenty-first floor.” He answered.

 

“Oh! I’m staying there as well.” She said, amused.

 

“Hyung!!!” Seungri was seconds too late since the elevator already closed.

 

“Oh! You’re Korean. Sorry about your brother.” She apologized to him while he concentrated on the mirror.

 

“It’s alright.” He clutched his chest with his right hand as he continues to look at her reflection on the mirror.

 

“Have a nice night.” She was the first one to get off the elevator and she went to the opposite end of his hallway.

 

“Why am I like this? I don’t even know her name.”

 

GD’S P.O.V

 

My first night in Boracay was unexpectedly fantastic! It didn’t take me a whole hour to sleep and I feel energized because of the dream I had last night.

 

“Who would’ve thought that I’ll be dreaming of that woman from last night?” I was amused at myself.

 

**

 

After my morning routines, I came down for breakfast and I met up with Seungri and his girlfriend. Unexpectedly, I actually see why her father doesn’t approve of Seungri.

 

“I see why.” I said to Seungri and he gave me a short snigger.

 

“I hope I am not disturbing you from anything.”

 

“No not at all! I wasn’t doing anything productive anyways, so it’s fine.” She answered as we shook hands. “CL is my nickname.”

 

“Mine is GD.”

 

“Look at your nine o’clock.” I looked and saw that same beautiful woman.

 

She was wearing a pink sleeveless floral summer dress, slip-ons, and a beach bag.

 

“Ageshi!” we heard three men shouting from behind and at first, they were walking but they ended up running because the woman started sprinting as fast as she could. “Ageshi!”

 

“Get away from me!” she screamed at the top of her lungs while getting away from them.

 

“Your grandmother ordered us to keep an eye on you!”

 

“Tell grandma that I’m alright and I can take care of myself!”

 

“She doesn’t want you hurting yourself! Wait!!!!”

 

“That was… unexpected.” CL broke the silence and I deeply exhaled to myself.

 

“Aigoo! I don’t have a chance anyway.”

 

**

 

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow!!!”I bid them goodnight at the seashore and began walking towards the hotel when I heard someone yelling. “What the heck? Where is that coming from?”

 

“HEY!!!!” I turned around and looked around me checking if someone was calling me.

 

“Did I have too much to drink?”

 

“YOU SELFISH BASTARD!” I finally located the person yelling and I was shocked to see the woman yelling at the ocean. “WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE EARLY?”

 

“Die early?” Now, I’m becoming a gossiper.

 

“YOU PROMISED TO STAY BY MY SIDE FOREVER, YET YOU DECIDED ON DYING EARLY!” she was crying now. I wanted to go to her, so I could comfort her but she doesn’t even know me and I don’t know her. “I SCATTERED YOUR ASHES THIS MORNING AS YOU WISHED!”

 

I’ve never seen a person weep like this before.

 

“I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN FIND A HUSBAND AS GOOD AS YOU, BUT I WILL TRY BECAUSE YOU SAID SO! I JUST WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU AND I WILL NEVER FORGET THE YEARS WE SPENT TOGETHER.”

 

Her knees gave in and she started weeping as the tides kept coming closer towards her. She stayed like that for an hour and for an hour, my heart kept beating faster. I was free to look at her beautiful face. And even if I couldn’t come closer to comfort her, I’m glad I was there to accompany her throughout her grieving.

 

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

“Then, what happened?” I chuckled when Mrs. Park eagerly asked what happened next.

 

“The next day, I saw her leaving Boracay with her bodyguards and I stayed for another two weeks.”

 

“That’s your story?” I knew she was annoyed.

 

“I’m not done ma’am.”

 

“Oh. Well then, carry on with the story.” She cleared and waited for me to finish.

 

“When I came to Seoul, I knew I wasn’t going to be the same man because I fell in love with a woman I only saw five times. I finished college with thoughts of her, I dreamt of her every single day, and I haven’t looked at a single woman for five years. I fell in love with a complete stranger and I wish that one day, I would see her again because when that day comes, I will ask for her name; I will ask her for a date; and I will ask her if she could be my wife.”

 

“Are you saying that all those years, you’ve never dated anyone?”

 

“My father and mother are actually very worried about me because they think that I am gay and I can’t even sum up the courage to tell them why I am this way.”

 

“Mr. Kwon Jiyong, consider the proposal to be done.”

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Park.” We both stood up and shook hands. “When are we going to be signing? The papers are already processed.”

 

“We can sign the papers once my granddaughter is available. She’s in-charge of this proposal originally. Also, she’s going to be the next president of my corporation, so it’s appropriate for her to be here as well.”

 

“I’m sorry, what is your granddaughter’s name again?”

 

“My granddaughter’s name is Dara, Sandara Park.”