'He takes good care of me'

❊ Do You Still Love Me? ❊


 

No P.O.V

 

Yunho sat twiddling his thumbs in the waiting room of A&E, impatiently tapping his feet and darting his gaze around the noisy place. The air was ablaze with the distracting sounds of hospitals; nurses, doctors and patients rushing about whilst the low, monotonous hum of machines rung in the background. He had only been sat alone for a few minutes - Jaejoong having been carted off, surprisingly well into his doctor’s office - but it seemed like an eternity to wait in those bleak surroundings; especially not having been allowed to accompany his lover.

Jaejoong insisted that he go in alone, batting off Yunho’s hands when he’d extending them to help; instead having to watch anxiously as Jaejoong took slow steps away from him. Yunho was terrified that he’d have to watch the boy collapse once again, but he didn’t want to upset him when he had no idea what was causing his illness. He’d just let it pass and hope for some answers when Jaejoong returned.

Yunho watched the clock on the wall, sighing as he willed the hands to move faster.

The sounds of the world around him drowned and washed away, leaving behind only the thundering noise of incessant ticking.

Tick..

Tick..

Tick..

And so it went on, seemingly never-ending until the ticking all but stopped. Yunho swore that time itself stopped in that accursed place; unbearably tormenting him. He ran a frustrated hand through his hair and began tapping his feet in a more erratic pattern.

“Come on.. Come on..” He found himself unconsciously whispering.

Tick..

The clock struck a final time and a door opened.

‘Finally,’ He thought to himself, witnessing the sight of Jaejoong emerging beside a young looking man.

The man was his doctor, Shim Changmin. Yunho didn’t really know him very well, but from what he’d gathered he was a friend of Jaejoong’s family. Or rather - he used to be a friend of the family. He’d overheard the two sharing phone conversations several times; fairly infrequently, but the kind that showed they knew each other well. Apparently, the youthful looking, short-brown haired man was slightly younger than Jaejoong - something like a few years - but that hadn’t stopped them becoming friends. Indeed from what Yunho had come to discover, they were neighbours at some point; when Jaejoong had still be living with his mother and before he’d come to live with Yunho’s family.

Jaejoong had come to live with Yunho when his own parents had become unable to support him. His father left whilst his mother was still pregnant, although she’d kept his name and passed it on to Jaejoong - her last homage to the man she still loved, so it seemed. Of course, then she had been struck down with some kind of terminal illness years later, leaving her bedridden and unable to care for her teenage son.

Yunho’s parents offered to take him in, and so they did. And that was the start of their relationship.

That was twelve years ago, when they had just turned fourteen. Over that summer they become more like brothers than friends; inseparable and in their own little world - and when it had come time for them to grow up, they were happy to carry on by each other’s side.

Yunho found himself smiling despite the situation; zoning out for a second before returning to solemn reality.

He watched as Changmin and Jaejoong were locked in conversation, unable to quite hear what the two were saying but sensing that something wasn’t quite right through their body language. Changmin every-so-often would shake his head and crease his brow, then he’d say something to which Jaejoong would waive his hands in protest. Jaejoong looked fine from where Yunho stood, but he still knew better than to assume everything was back to normal.

Deciding that he’d waited long enough, Yunho took the first steps to where the two boys still spoke.

“--need to tell him sooner or later,” Yunho heard Changmin speak as he got closer.

“I will,” Jaejoong reassured.

“And you’re going to visit her as well?”

“Tomorrow is the anniversary,” Jaejoong agreed.

“It’s better when it’s out in the open,” Changmin replied with a soft smile.

Yunho saw Jaejoong nodding his head in compliance.

“What’s better out in the open?” Yunho asked, interrupting the conversation; looking between the two boys back and forth.

Changmin turned to Jaejoong, raising an eyebrow.

“Nothing to concern yourself with, Yunnie,” Jaejoong answered, much to Yunho’s disappointment. Whatever it was, Jaejoong clearly didn’t want Yunho to know.

“Oh,” He sighed. “So is he all ready to go, doctor?”

Changmin chuckled lightly.

“He’ll live,” He replied. “Just make sure he takes these,” He said, handing Yunho a bottle of pills.

“Couldn’t have given me that responsibility?” Jaejoong whined.

Changmin scoffed, “Knowing you, they’d be forgotten and you’d be back here next month in a body bag,” He joked.

“B-body bag?!” Yunho nearly screamed, instinctively wrapping his arm around Jaejoong’s waist.

Jaejoong chuckled, “He’s joking.”

“Relax, Yunho. Jaejoong will be fine as long as he takes them,” Changmin clarified.

“You’re sure?”

Changmin nodded.

“I’m in good hands,” Jaejoong looked up to Yunho, gently patting the hand that rested on his waist.

“That you are. But you’ll have to excuse me,” Changmin hurriedly said, “I have other patients.”

“Bye, Minnie,” Jaejoong waved him off.

Yunho was too busy eyeing Jaejoong from head to toe to even acknowledge to doctor’s departure. He was sure that if Changmin had said it, it must be true; but he still felt as though Jaejoong wasn’t telling him something pretty important.

“What?” Jaejoong asked, noticing Yunho’s stare.

Yunho paused for a moment.

“..You’re absolutely sure that you’re ok?” Yunho scrutinised.

“Yes--”

“--Because I don’t want to live through another night like this--”

“--Yunho, I’m alright. Didn’t you just hear Changmin telling you the same thing?”

Yunho pondered the question for a second, sighing in defeat and deciding that he’d have to let this one go. Despite the feeling in his stomach.

“Fine,” Yunho replied, taking Jaejoong by the hand. “Let’s go home then. I’m tired.”

“I’m sorry,” Jaejoong hung his head as they walked along the corridors; the winding of the white walls reminding both of them just how much they hated hospitals. How Changmin managed to stand this place for so many hours a day was a mystery to Jaejoong, and nothing more than a miracle in his opinion.

“As long as you’re ok, I don’t care.”

“I love you, Yunho.” Jaejoong whispered as they exited the sliding front doors of the immense building.

Yunho smiled at those words.

“I know you do,” He responded.

‘But you’re lying to me,’ He thought in silence, the smile on his face dropping away into a blank expression.

 



 

Evening became early morning and still Yunho could bear little sleep; his eyes forcing themselves open to stare blankly at the ceiling as he lay in bed, beside Jaejoong. It was still dark outside, but the chirping of the early rising birds indicated that soon he’d be awake anyway. The only sound that penetrated his thoughts was the soft breathing of his lover; a stark contrast to his pained cries just hours earlier.

Yunho found his body aching and his eyes becoming heavy as he thought over and over about Jaejoong and what he’d meant in his conversation with Changmin. He’d assumed that Jaejoong would have told him what they were talking about by now, but it seemed he was intent to let Yunho suffer in silence.

Eventually he fell asleep, but it was with worry - not relief - on his mind.

Yunho dreamt of blackness that night.

Emptiness and an endless cold.

A river of water washed over him, drowning his senses.

He felt alone and blind.

Lost in a flood of time.

The void twisted into red and suddenly a familiar sight screamed out at him.

Red.

Blood.

Everywhere.

The flood of cold became a sea of crimson warmth, burning away at Yunho’s flesh.

He opened his mouth to scream, only for Jaejoong’s fiery blood to enter and choke him.

He writhed in agony - as he’d watched Jaejoong do the night before.

Helpless and alone.

He called out and his eyes opened.

The blinding white light of the sun hit him and he realised that it was morning. He was awake and it was a dream. He felt a bead of sweat trickling down from his forehead, snaking down the side of his neck and staining the white sheets beneath him. Hastily, he turned to look for Jaejoong; momentarily despairing when he found the empty space beside him.

“Jae?”

He called, but no one answered. So he called again. And still he was met with silence.

“Where are you?” He muttered under his breath, swinging his legs off the side of the bed and pulling himself groggily to his feet. His entire body ached from fatigue and the stress of the previous night, not to mention his mind was wracked by worry and concern.

Yunho made his way through the bare and empty house, sighing as he passed wall after wall of barren white. Every so often he would see a picture frame balanced on a window-sill or small table and smile to himself, and then he would trudge onwards along the hallway and down the stairs - in search of his lover.

“You awake, Yunnie?” He heard Jaejoong calling to him from the kitchen, the sound of his sweet and breathy voice sending waves of relief through him.

“I’m awake,” he complied, rounding the corner of the stairs and following the path to his lover’s voice.

Jaejoong smiled contently when Yunho entered the small room, watching as he took a seat at the table. His younger lover looked tired, to say the least; with dark circles forming under his eyes and his normally tanned skin looking slightly paler than normal. He caught a glimpse of eye-contact and Yunho smiled at him softly, defying the sleep that he so obviously craved.

“I’m making breakfast,” Jaejoong chirped, motioning to a frying pan, “We only had eggs and flour, so I thought you’d like pancakes,” He mused.

Yunho harshly rubbed the sleep from his eyes, “Did you take your pills?” He asked.

Jaejoong paused for a moment.

“Do want me to squeeze some orange juice? I know you love it when you’re tired,” He asked, deliberating from the boy’s question.

Yunho sighed and stood up, taking a few steps to be beside Jaejoong. The raven-haired boy had his back turned to him, so Yunho resorted to hugging him from behind; snaking his hands firmly around his waist and resting his chin on Jaejoong’s shoulder.

“Jaejoong,” He demanded, holding the boy still.

“I’m fine, Yunho,” Jaejoong reassured, stubbornly.

“Take your pills.”

“I will,” Jaejoong whined.

“Then do it now.”

“But I’m making--”

“--I don’t care about any of that, Jae. I care about you getting better, so stop acting like this isn’t a big deal. Because it is,” He interrupted, voice wavering. “Please just do this for me, Jae. Let me know that you’ll take care of yourself, because I can’t bear the thought of losing you.. Please,” He pleaded.

“I.. Ok. I promise I’ll do better for you,” Jaejoong replied, leaning back into Yunho’s embrace; closing his eyes and humming in content at the contact. “I’m sorry that I worry you.. It’s just--”

“--And I’m sorry I can’t make everything better. But we can try if we do this together. Just, please don’t shut me out,” Yunho begged into the back of Jaejoong’s hair.

Jaejoong hummed in response, simply enjoying the contact with Yunho. Neither spoke for a moment; content only to rock in the other’s embrace.

“You’ll come with me to visit her then?” He asked after a period of silence.

“Of course I will.”

“Thank you, Yunho.”

“But do one thing for me first?” Yunho asked, tilted Jaejoong around to face him properly.

“Hmm?” Jaejoong smiled.

“Take your medication.”

Jaejoong didn’t reply in words, instead dropping his hands from around Yunho and trudging to retrieve a glass of water. Yunho followed suit, handing the small bottle of pills to his visibly annoyed lover. Jaejoong bit his lips as Yunho placed two of the small, white things into the palm of his hand; hesitantly taking them and placing them in his mouth.

“They’re good for you,” Yunho reminded as Jaejoong sipped from the glass, washing the drops of white away.

Jaejoong simply faked a smile in response.

 



 

“We’re here,” Yunho broke the silence of the car as they pulled up outside the church. Jaejoong hadn’t spoken since he’d taken those pills; even during the car journey when normally he would be at his loudest. “You feeling ok?”

A weak smiled crossed Jaejoong’s lips as he looked out of his passenger window; looking fondly at the steeple of the church. It was one of his favourite places to come, and had been the only place he could visit his mother for some years now. The grass was soft here and there was a bench nearby where he’d sit and talk to her. She’d loved it here.

“I’m fine,” Jaejoong sighed.

“Want me to come with you?” Yunho asked tentatively, placing a hand on Jaejoong’s thigh.

Jaejoong turned his smile to Yunho.

“I think I’d like that,” He replied.

“Let’s go see her.”

Yunho followed as Jaejoong briskly exited the car, rushing along the pathways through the gardens of the little, quiet church and towards her bench.

He took a seat on the bench, watching as Jaejoong took a few steps forward; kneeling down in front of a row of bright flowers.

“Hi umma,” He spoke, softly. “I missed you.”

Nothing but the wind made a sound, whistling through the trees and gently washing over the two boys.

They were here alone, but Jaejoong carried on.

“I brought Yunho again,” He chirped, smiling up to his lover. Yunho returned his smile sweetly and Jaejoong returned his gaze to the flowers. “He misses you too.”

“Hi, Mrs. Kim!” Yunho waved.

“See. So how have you been?”

Yunho watched fondly as Jaejoong talked on and on, never receiving an answer. But carrying on still. Jaejoong talked with a smile on his face, animated in a way that caused Yunho to smile unconsciously; but it was bittersweet. Every now and then he would hear his name mentioned and look up to offer Jaejoong a reassuring smile.

Jaejoong talked for a long time.

And Yunho listened to the silence that met him.

He found himself feeling a wetness down his cheek; not realising that at some point he’d begun crying.

Jaejoong looked so happy.

“--Really do wish you could see the house someday.”

Yunho perked his ears at Jaejoong’s words, wiping the stray tear away in time for Jaejoong to remain oblivious.

“We finally managed to get a place of our own, Umma,” Jaejoong continued.

Yunho smiled in spite of it all. He’d watched as Jaejoong smiled and talked away to himself; realising as the minutes went by how lucky he was to have him. How he could lose so much if he wasn’t careful.

Hapilly, he got up from the bench; moving to kneel beside his lover.

“See, Umma? He takes good care of me,” Jaejoong beamed, taking hold of Yunho’s hand as he got closer.

“If it’s alright with you Mrs. Kim, I’d like to take Jaejoong home now. To our home,” he asked no-one.

Jaejoong hummed a smile.

“I have to go, Umma. I’ll visit you again soon though,” He bid farewell.

“Goodbye Mrs. Kim,” Yunho followed suit.

“She likes you,” Jaejoong whispered as they turned their backs to walk away.

“Does she?”

Jaejoong nodded in response as they exited the graveyard hand in hand. The warm summer sun shone behind them, casting shadows about the green grass and the lonesome bench. Jaejoong sighed into the crisp, afternoon air; taking one last glance behind him.

One last glance at his mother’s grave, before Yunho lead him home.



 

A/N: Hi guys, hope you found this chapter enjoyable! We passed 100 subs from the first chapter, that's so amazing! ^^ Thank you each and everyone of you so much for your support. It's overwhelming :'D Anyway, I'll do the replies now before I get all teary.

 

REPLIES:

@babysein - You're more than welcome! I love writing so I'm happy to update for you. ^^ Thank you for reading and enjoying. I hope this one was a bit less of a killer for you.
@chu_david - And I hope you continue to love it! As you can see, yes Yunho did take him to see a doctor. :)
@Sameera110 - Oh wow thank you so much for those kind words! It's so wonderful to hear that my writing has that effect (Well.. not that it makes you panic, but you know what I mean! XD). As for character death.. I hadn't planned it, but you never know. Plots can change. /troll
@Heart_teanee - It is a relief that Yunho has some sense to take care of Jae! The stubborn guy would be in a mess without his Yunbear.
@flowing95 - Haha that's the point! I'm glad you're enjoying it though, I hope this one was just as good.
@Krissie - Thank you! Wow you know you're the first to ask if there will be MPreg, which surprises me. I thought that a lot more people would think Jae was pregnant. But you know, only time will tell. I don't want to reveal the plot just yet. But like you said, MPreg isn't usually my thing.
@shutup - I want a happy ending too! And as you can see, Yunnie was smart enough to take Jae to get some help. Good Yunnie.
@ZaraNK1 - Unnie, don't cry! Whack out the tissues!! :'D

 

Once again, thank you for your support guys! Make sure to leave a comment and I'll hopefully get back to you in the next chapter. See you soon! <3