'This will pass.'

❊ Do You Still Love Me? ❊


 

No P.O.V

 

“Jae, please let me do this. You need to rest,” Yunho chastised as Jaejoong attempted to lift yet another heavy cardboard box; the contents shifting awkwardly and causing him to stumble.

“Yunho, I’m fine. I can do it,” Jaejoong retaliated, stubbornly ignoring the helping hand that his lover extended. The box was indeed heavy, but as a matter of principle Jaejoong soldiered on; straining and wobbling his way from the verdant front garden, up the cobbled steps and through the ornate front door of their newly bought house. All went as planned until he met the smooth wooden floor of the hallway; his bare feet slipping under the weight of the box in his hands. Jaejoong yelped as he felt himself falling backwards, flinging the contents of the offending container in the air. He slammed his eyes shut in anticipation of the solid, foreboding ground; only to be braced by something soft and firm - breaking his fall.

“Told you to let me handle the heavy ones,” Yunho sighed as he looked down on the man in his arms. Jaejoong’s doe eyes remained firmly shut and his brow creased in anxiety, convinced he would still soon hit the floor. “Come on Jae, get up,” Yunho demanded, lifting the boy and placing him down firmly on his feet.

“Thanks..” Jaejoong mumbled as his saviour trudged monotonously back outside. He decided that, since Yunho was already in an annoyed mood, he’d give him some space and begin unpacking what boxes had already found their way inside.

Jaejoong began taking the smallest of the boxes off the top of the many piles; placing them down tentatively and huffing smiles as he read their labels. He began withdrawing picture frames with all manner of memories stored inside - memories he and Yunho had forged together over their long and happy friendship.

Countless smiles lay suspended within the small glass of the frames, shouting loud and clear the love that the two held for each other.

He took a handful and began placing them around the living room of the barren house; the only indication - other than the essential upstairs bed of course - that any life existed within those four walls. Light penetrated the window from the bleeding sun as it set, flooding the room with a bright orange hue and Jaejoong watched fondly from the same window as Yunho brought box after box from the moving van to the front door until finally the last one perched in his grasp; his T-shirt was damp from the sweat of his burdening task and the defined muscles of his chest and arms flexed under the strain of the final weight.

“Jae please go and lie down,” Yunho pleaded as he brought that last box inside, placing it atop the mounting stacks of others. It was the last one and he was relieved to be done with it; wiping a small bead of sweat from his forehead and puffing out a last breath of exhausted air. He carefully closed the door behind him and turned to face his slightly older lover.

Jaejoong smiled at the sight of Yunho closing their front door. It was a simple enough action, but it meant more than just the slamming of wood into a lock.

This was their house. Their home. A place to finally be able to truly call their own after such a long time. And the best part was that they would be sharing everything about it. Just the two of them.

“I’m fine,” Jaejoong reassured. “Honestly.”

Yunho sighed, taking strides to be beside him. His heart warmed at the sincere smile on Jaejoong’s face, but his eyes betrayed his worry. Something was changing in Jaejoong, even if he wouldn’t admit it. It was there. Yunho had seen it and it left a bitter taste in his mouth.

But now was not the time for those kinds of thoughts. This was a happy moment; the beginning of a new chapter in their lives. A new chapter that would hopefully bring more smiles and beautiful memories for the two of them.

Yunho took the man in front of him by the hand, leading him to take a seat on the couch - the only piece of furniture surrounding them that was worthy of being sat on. Jaejoong giggled and fluttered in his embrace when the slightly younger man kissed his forehead gently.

“Sit,” Yunho said as he released his lips from the man’s brow. “I’ll get you something to drink.”

“I can do it myself, Yunho,” Jaejoong protested, making to stand up.

“No,” Yunho replied, firmly. “Please just do this for me, Jae.”

“Why are you treating me like some sort of invalid? I’m not dying, you know.”

Yunho sighed.

“If you’d let me take you to a doctor, then I would know that. But you won’t,” He replied.

“Because I don’t need to see one,” Jaejoong said, doggedly.

Yunho abandoned his intentions of leaving Jaejoong, instead deciding to sit and look into his eyes sincerely. He took the man’s hand in his own once more, grasping it solidly.

“But I need you to see one,” Yunho replied, solemnly.

Jaejoong bit his lip in silence.

“Please, Jae. Just for peace of mind.” Yunho pleaded.

“Please trust me, Yunho.” Jaejoong replied, squeezing his lover’s hands reassuringly. “I don’t need to see a doctor. This will pass,” He continued with a hopeful smile.

“But what if it doesn’t?” Yunho whimpered. “What if--”

“--Yunho stop. This is a new start for us, can’t we forget about this and be happy? Please? You don’t need to mother me every time I get a cold, this is ridiculous,” Jaejoong jibed, adopting a brave face and pulling the larger man into a comforting hug.

Yunho rested his head in the crook of Jaejoong’s pale, milky neck; taking the time to inhale the warm, strawberry scent of his raven hair. Jaejoong smiled contently at the feeling of Yunho’s breath ghosting so close to him, tilting his head into Yunho’s exposed neck and gently leaving fluttering kisses on the almond skin.

“That tickles,” Yunho giggled.

“More than this?” Jaejoong smirked.

All of sudden Jaejoong was on top of Yunho; legs either side of his waist, hovering over his lover and pinning him into the couch. Yunho looked up quizzically at the challenging smirk that Jaejoong wore, anxious but excited to see the playfulness in his eyes.

“Jae.. What are you doing?” Yunho warily asked.

Jaejoong shrugged. “Just having some fun.”

Jaejoong grinned at Yunho’s twisted expression as he brought his hands to assault the man’s sides, laughing away as Yunho squirmed under his tickling. It was a strange thing for two grown men to enjoy so much, but they’d always found entertainment in the harmless torture that tickle wars ensued; ever since they were kids, it was just something that they would do together. Jaejoong normally won these kinds of things, Yunho being too scared that his own strength would break the delicate boy; thus it was characteristic that Jaejoong would soon be the victor.

“J-Jae-- Stop! A-ahh please!” Yunho begged, writhing and giddily laughing away between breaths.

Jaejoong eventually stopped; smiling in satisfaction as Yunho panted innocently beneath him.

“Who’s the weak one now?” Jaejoong mocked, haughtily assuming no retaliation from his slightly younger lover.

“Hmm..” Yunho feigned a thought. “Me,” He replied, flipping their positions. Jaejoong yelped a little bit at the sudden movement, feeling Yunho settle himself between his parted legs. He was the younger of the two, but Yunho was certainly the stronger and most physically resilient.

Jaejoong pouted, as cutely as he could.

“No fair,” Jaejoong whined.

“Life’s a , isn’t it?” Yunho reminded him.

Jaejoong nodded in agreement, circling his arms up and around Yunho’s neck. In one swift movement he jerked his face forward, quickly surprising the boy above him by capturing his lips; chastely, but lingering. Yunho’s eyes glazed as Jaejoong retracted, watching fondly as the raven-haired boy slumped comfortably beneath him. The slightly younger boy brought his hand to caress the soft cheek of the boy below him, slowly ghosting his thumb along the pale skin of his jaw line and up around to feel his pink, full lips. Those same lips curved into a smile as Jaejoong observed Yunho’s gaze, bringing his own hands to gently rest on his lover’s strong arms.

“What are you thinking?” Jaejoong inquired, looking up into Yunho’s almond eyes.

Yunho smirked.

“I’m thinking..” He trailed. “..Maybe now would be a good time to christen the new bed.”

Jaejoong scoffed. “So a minute ago you wanted me to rest here on the couch, but now that little Yunnie’s awake we have to go to bed?”

“You make it sound like you don’t want to,” Yunho grinned mockingly.

Jaejoong paused for a moment.

“True.. So are you going to carry me upstairs, or make me wait?” He jibed.

“If you’re that eager,” Yunho replied, scooping the boy into his arms and promptly making for the stairs.

 



 

Hours had passed and night had descended whilst the two boys lost themselves in each other, making love then staying and intertwined until the moon shone full in the starry void of the night sky. Jaejoong fell asleep resting his head on Yunho’s broad chest; Yunho finding comfort holding the boy in his arms, shortly following his older lover into slumber. A frigid wind howled at the bedroom window and an owl hooted somewhere in the distance, an indication that ‘late’ had long since come and gone.

It was quiet, but not peaceful.

Jaejoong tossed in his sleep, his brow knotted and his body trembling in what would seem to the outside world to be an unpleasant dream.

His head twitched away from Yunho’s warmth, rolling his body into the empty space of the bed; incoherent words spilling forth from his mumbling lips.

Jaejoong’s eyes shot open when a familiar stabbing pain thundered in his stomach. Instinctively his hands went to clasp and claw at the agonizing area; the adrenaline of the moment causing blood to rush to his head and transform every noise into the deafening sound of ringing bells. An anguished tear slid silently down his porcelain cheek whilst a choked whimper staggered in the back of his throat.

The boy writhed silently on the bed; no sound escaping his tender lips.

He wanted to scream the pain away. Kick and cry until it was all gone. He wanted to sleep unwaking in Yunho’s strong arms like he used to.

But he couldn’t.

He couldn’t even cry out.

All he could do was clasp one hand to his throbbing head and the other to his aching body, hoping that the pain would leave or Yunho would come to save him like always.

 Unfortunately, it had to be the latter option.

Jaejoong’s thrashing was what caused his lover to stir, eyes heavy and body weary. This was the third night in a row that this had happened, and it was taking its toll visibly on both of them. Yunho grunted in his half-asleep state, rolling over to catch a glimpse of Jaejoong’s coiled form. His eyes bulged and his body moved of it’s over accord; leaping to his elbows for support.

“Jae? What’s wrong?” He pleaded for an answer, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and gently placing a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

Jaejoong shook his head rigidly in response, grappling onto Yunho for support and keeping his eyes locked shut.

“Help me, Yunnie..” Jaejoong whimpered, another tear falling from his puffy eyes.

“Tell me where it hurts, Jae.” Yunho demanded frantically, pushing the damp and clingy bangs from Jaejoong’s vision.

Yunho groaned at the all too familiar sight of Jaejoong’s face contorted in pain, wanting desperately to be able to do something. Anything. Whatever he could to take the pain away.

Jaejoong simply whimpered and shuddered in response, reaching out to Yunho and clasping fervently at his lover’s body. Somehow, he hoped that everything would go away if Yunho came closer. Somehow, he believed that everything was going to be ok.

Yunho frowned, frustrated at Jaejoong’s lack of response.

“Jae, you need to tell me where it hurts.”

“..”

“Jaejoong?!”

“E-everywhere..” Jaejoong cried in a whisper.

Yunho’s gaze tore violently around the room, desperately thinking for some solution.

But nothing came.

“S-!” He cursed, watching as Jaejoong began to claw at the sheets of the bed and the skin of his own torso.

Jaejoong wretched and bit his lip.

Yunho scrambled to gather him in his arms, the only way of moving the boy.

Yunho despaired at the bitter irony of their position; not long ago having the boy in his arms to become one, whilst now it signalled the mocking illness that had suddenly gripped Jaejoong - forcing their once peaceful nights into horror and confusion.

Jaejoong had never been in this much pain before.

He’d never been so incapable of speech or coherent thought.

He’d never had to claw and beg for Yunho’s help.

Whatever this was, it was getting worse and Yunho knew it. Whatever the outcome of this night, whether he had to drag Jaejoong kicking and screaming to a hospital through wind and rain - barefoot in the middle of the night - he’d do it. He was scared and confused, and above all he felt utterly helpless. Jaejoong’s stubbornness put him on the precipice of despair.

“Where--?” Jaejoong whispered through gritted teeth.

“--The bathroom, Jae. Stay quiet for me, please. Try not to think about it.” Yunho interrupted, rushing to the small, nearby bathroom and lightly laying the pained boy on the cold tiles of the floor.

“Sit up, Jae.” Yunho guided, urging the boy closer to the bowl of the toilet. “If you need to throw up.. Just do it.” He said.

Jaejoong nodded, weakly lifting his arms to brace himself and hoist himself up. Yunho sensed the boy’s intention and immediately went to his aid; lifting an arm around his shoulder and taking the burden of his weight unto himself.

“Rest,” Yunho demanded.

Jaejoong remained silent and Yunho sighed in defeat.

“I’m going to get you something to drink,” Yunho said.

Jaejoong’s eyed widened in fear, finally slamming open at the thought of Yunho leaving his side. His voice still refused to leave his mouth, but his eyes were enough to plead with his lover to stay. Yunho on the other hand recognised the plea in full; a throbbing pain surfacing in his chest at the wounded visage of the lover he could do nothing for.

All he could do was hope that Jaejoong would be ok.

“Ok. Ok. I’ll stay,” He reassured. “I’ll.. err.. Just hold my hand ok? Squeeze it as hard as you can. Just please do something, Jae.” Yunho choked on an anguished sob, forcing it back to stay strong for Jaejoong.

Jaejoong quickly latched his free hand into Yunho’s, steadying his grip on the bowl of the toilet with the other. Yunho knelt down beside him, whilst Jaejoong fiercely and unconsciously constricted his grip on the given hand. Yunho cursed silently, hovering over Jaejoong’s spent form and caressing the small of his back in soothing, circular patterns.

Jaejoong winced as a fresh bout of pain speared him in the stomach.

He choked on a gasp of air and felt an unwelcome retching from the pit of his body.

“Jae?..” Yunho frantically asked. “Jae?!”

Jaejoong forced himself up, only in time to begin throwing up violently into the toilet. His entire body seemed to shake and convulse and Yunho could do nothing but watch on, helpless and useless. He observed as Jaejoong’s fingers curled and clutched at the ceramic of the bowl, felt as Jaejoong clawed at his hand and whimpered as he heard the terrible noises his lover made. Jaejoong’s pained cries echoed in the bathroom, only to be stifled when more of whatever was forcing itself out of Jaejoong’s body resumed.

Abruptly, Jaejoong stopped. His body ceasing to convulse and his grip loosening on Yunho.

Not a sound was made as Jaejoong collapsed, utterly spent onto the floor of the bathroom.

He’d fainted.

Yunho didn’t know whether to be relieved or not, but he was simply glad that Jaejoong was no longer visibly in pain. He sighed in what he thought was respite, intending on finally getting that drink that Jaejoong had refused. He needed something to keep the boy’s temperature down whilst he was out, and he’d nurse him all through the night if he had too.

He bent down once again beside Jaejoong’s slumped body, snaking his hands beneath the boy’s body and intending to hoist him up.

That was, until he caught a glimpse of Jaejoong’s mess in the toilet bowl.

He’d not expected it to be pretty. But he’d also not expected to be so utterly horrified either.

Yunho left Jaejoong where he was on the floor, despairing at the sight before him.

He lifted a hand to his brow, bracing his throbbing head as he groaned and whimpered at the sight.

Jaejoong had never been so ill as to be physically sick through the past few nights, so there was nothing to indicate that the bowl would contain anything more than putrid vomit. Unsightly as it would’ve been, Yunho wished that were the case. Instead he saw no vomit, but only a vision of terrible red.

Blood seemed to flood down the sides, never ending.

Yunho all but screamed at the realisation, looking down desperately at Jaejoong’s mangled and unrecognisable body; out cold on the floor - no wonder that he’d fainted. He cursed himself for not doing anything to help his lover sooner, instead only blindly accepting Jaejoong’s refusal to see a doctor.

But now things were serious.

Jaejoong didn’t have ‘just a cold’ as he so doggedly affirmed.

Jaejoong was sick.

Jaejoong was vomiting blood.

Jaejoong needed help that Yunho couldn’t give him, and he never wanted to have to see this sight again.

“..” Yunho cursed under his breath.

 



 

A/N: First of all, thank you so much to everyone that has read and either left a comment or subscribed! I wasn't expecting so much anticipation for the story and 71 subscribers from the forward alone is insane. I sincerely hope this chapter was enough to satisfy your interest. I'll let you guys guess what's wrong with Jae, but I guarantee you won't get it right! :P

 

REPLIES:

@babysein I'm so happy that you're loving it so far and let me know what you think of this chapter! Hope this didn't get you tearing up as well. ^^
@wonhamnida - Thank you so much for the compliment dongsaeng :D I hope this has tided you over for your love of Yunjae angst!
@yunjaebiggestfan - I'm so sorry for breaking your heart! <3 There's a new one. I want to see them together too. Only time will tell I guess.
@ZaraNK1 - Unnie I love you, nuff said.
@Sameera110 - I'm so honoured that you felt like giving this story a try! Angst isn't for everyone but it seems like I have a knack for it XD Someday I'll learn how to do fluff! I want a happy ending too ^^
@Heart_teanee - Oh no, I'm so sorry I drained your tear tank! I'll do my best to keep them both alive. :)
@JUjuliet - Just for that comment, I would like to offer you a virtual hug. /le hug :]

 

Sorry I couldn't reply to all of you. I'll try harder next time, so leave a comment and I'll hopefully get back to you! See you soon for the next chapter. <3

...