What To Do?

Geocheo Dojahng

 

Nik scratched her head and thought for a moment. She and her group were the most recent additions to the Dojahng and had only been there about six months. She hadn’t had any time to explore or do anything besides practice and cook and school her son.

“There’s not a whole lot to do,” Crys interrupted her thoughts. “There are plenty of places to fish or bathe or explore, but other than that: nothing. There is no internet access or really any electricity of any kind other than the phone close to the oven.”

“Why so little?” Changmin asked, already seeming bored in such a beautiful escape from the bustle of modern society. The hands of Yoochun and Jaejoong came up in unison to smack the back of their younger friends head. “What was that for?” he sulked.

Nik sighed. “We do not want the distraction of the outside world here. This is a place that is meant to bring us back to basics. We grow our own food, fish and hunting for meat. This place is a place for us to escape technology and practice a nearly dying sport, to hone our skills, and live together as a giant family.”

“Why?” Changmin asked again. But before Yoochun could slap his head again, Nik quickly grabbed it and placed it back in his lap.

“It’s an honest question, and there is no disrespect in his curiosity.” She turned her attention away from Yoochun and back to Changmin, “It is the way we choose to live. It keeps us safe. We do not have to stay if we do not want, and are free to venture down to the city any time we wish. Here, we do not have to worry about money. We pay for nothing. We earn money by participating in tournaments throughout South Korea, which is how we keep everything up and running.” She looked down at her watch, “Now if y’all will please excuse Nama and me, we must go get ready for practice.” With that, the two took everyone’s breakfast dishes and left the hut.

“You do not practice as well?” Yunho asked the two remaining women.

Rei shook her head. “No, we teach English in one of the schools in Gwangju. We live here because Seongsaeng allows us to stay with Nik. We try to help pull our weight, we make things to sell at tournaments and do extra cleaning and gardening when we do not have school. School starts back in another week; we have been out for two weeks already for summer break.”

“So what are we supposed to do all day?” Changmin asked, already feeling bored.

“I brought a soccer ball,” Junsu offered. “Is there a place to play?”

Rei smiled, “Yes, there is a field behind Seongsaeng’s hut. I’m sure he won’t mind. Crys and I can meet you outside when everyone is dressed,” and the two girls headed out.

“We don’t know how to play soccer,” Crys whispered to Rei as soon as they stepped into their hut.

“I wasn’t planning on playing. We can be cheerleaders, maybe.”

A few minutes later both women stepped out of their huts. Rei had blue jersey shorts and a soft aqua tank top on, her light brown hair loose letting the slight curls reach her shoulders. Crys, in black jersey shorts and a light pink tank top, had her blonde hair in pig tails. The boys walked out to greet the girls for the game, all of them in similar basketball shorts and either muscle shirts or t-shirts.

“So who are team captains?” Yoochun asked once all seven were heading over to the field.

“I’m ref, so I will choose team captains.” Yunho thought for a minute. “Junsu and Jaejoong, you will be captains. Jaejoong, since you are older you will choose your teammate first.”

“Crys,” Jaejoong said, wrapping an arm around the blonde walking next to him.

“Rei and I were just going to sit on the sidelines and cheer. Neither of us really knows how to play and we would just screw up.” Rei nodded her agreement.

“That’s ok,” Junsu said. “Rei is my first choice, so we can just put the two of you against eachother.” He smiled, slipping his hand into Rei’s and pulling her to walk closer to him. “That means you’re up again, Jae. Who am I stuck with?”

“Yoochun, you’re on our team. Changmin, you’re on Junsu’s team.” Once they reached the field, Yunho went over a brief explanation of the rules, including making sure the girls knew which goal they were supposed to try to score in.

The game started, the boys taking it easy on the girls and not trying to score the ball. That was until Crys managed to steal the ball from Changmin and scoring for Jaejoong’s team. Then the rivalry started. The game went on for over an hour, the players getting more and more wrapped up in the game. No one noticed Nik and Aaron walking up on the game until they decided to join the game, Aaron going to Junsu’s team and Nik going to Jaejoong’s. This seemed to not faze the rest of the players and the game went on for nearly an hour longer.

When the game was finally over, Jaejoong’s team beat Junsu’s by one goal. “It’s because Changmin !” Junsu exclaimed. Everyone collapsed, laughing and struggling for air.

“It’s not my fault! Rei couldn’t stop a goal to save her life!” he said indignantly.

“So that makes y’all about even then, huh?” Nik laughed, all of her controlled attitude and respect leaving for a few minutes of fun.

“She has you there,” Yunho agreed. Everyone laughed.

Nik looked up at the sun, and then quickly stood up. “Lunch will be ready in twenty minutes,” and with no other notice, she returned to her respectful mode, bowed quickly and ran off to begin fixing lunch for the village.

“Is she always like this?” Yunho asked.

“She’s been like this since right before we came here from the States. It’s no big deal; she’s just a bit restrictive. Though sometimes I worry she takes on too much,” Crys answered. Aaron looked sad.

“Why don’t you show me around the grounds?” Yunho offered to the pouting child. He nodded and they left the group.

Jaejoong looked into Crys’ eyes. “Would you mind showing me around some?” She shook her head and they took off in the opposite direction. After they were out of sight from their friends, he reached over and grabbed her hand. “This is such a beautiful place.”

Crys nodded. “I enjoy exploring our property. Would you like to see my favorite hiding spot?” After he nodded, she took a quick turn into the woods, dragging him close behind her.

It took about ten minutes to get to Crys’ hiding spot, but when they arrived, Jaejoong was in awe. There was a waterfall, and right beside it was the view of the city. It looked like an ant village from how high they were. “It’s beautiful.” Crys grinned, happy that he seemed to enjoy her secret hideout as much as she did. Jaejoong wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back firmly against his chest. “But it is no comparison to you,” he whispered into her ear.