Greetings

Geocheo Dojahng

 

About two kilometers west of Gwangju there lays a small village. This village is small, and only a select few are allowed to come onto the grounds. There are approximately 30 people who live in 10 little huts. It is nearly impossible to find because there are no roads leading to it, nor are there many modern conveniences if you do manage to get there. In the middle of the grounds is a large flat stretch of dirt where 27 men and women practiced Taekwondo. Close to the back of the group was a boy, 7 years old American, practicing as well.

Sitting off to the side of the group was two American women. A brunette, tall with pale skin, piercing blue eyes and dressed in denim capris and a well fitted t-shirt, was hanging clothes on a line beside her hut. The other, a blonde, had streaks of black and red through her hair as well with very pale skin, was sitting in a flowy black knee length skirt and pink tank top with a pencil and pad drawing away.

“Shi uh!” shouted one of the men from center of the training field. All of the students quickly ceased their training and turned to the man who had given the command. “Kyeong nae” and everyone lowered in a bow. The instructor gave a nod and everyone went in their separate directions.

The 7 year old boy ran quickly to the only other American practicing with the group. She was of average height, dark brunette hair and tanned skin. They met at the hut with the other 2 Americans. “Hey Crys, I thought you were going to help Rei with the laundry,” she scolded her blonde friend.

“I hate laundry, and she’s better at doing it the old fashioned way anyways,” Crys pouted.

“It’s alright, Nik. I told her I’d do it as long as she went with me to Gwangju tomorrow. We know you love this kind of place, and we appreciate living basically for free, but we miss civilization.”

Nik rolled her eyes, and decided to let the conversation drop. “Nama, you are looking great. You are sure to impress Seongsaeng at our next testing.” She leaned down and gave her son a tight hug and kiss on the top of his head.

“Mom,” he said, pointing her in the direction of the instructor, who was walking their way.

They both snapped into attention, shoulders back, hands to their sides and feet together. Nik coughed and her two friends slowly came to attention as well, but not nearly as rigid as Nik would have liked. “Shi uh, Nik, everyone, this is not during practice.”

“Yes, Seongsaeng,” Nik and her son said together, separating their feet into shoulder width apart.

“You are looking much better, Aaron. Your hard work is paying off.” He rested a hand on the boy and gave him a slight smile. He took his hand away after a moment and turned to look Nik in the eyes. “May we have a chat? Privately?” he turned before she could respond and started walking in the direction of his hut.

She quickly followed, nerves racked and very confused. It was not often anyone was asked to speak privately with Seongsaeng, especially her.

“We will have five very important guests arriving next week. These guests are never able to truly get away from the craziness their lives entail and are looking to relax. I would like for your group to take care of anything they ask for. You know I do not like outsiders coming out here to distract our practice, but as you know we have been struggling to keep this place up and they have offered us a great sum of money for us to let them stay.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, Seongsaeng, who are these people? Have I heard of them?”

“I believe your friend Rei is in love with them,” he chuckled.

“You mean? Really?!”

“Yes, the popular boy band DBSK will be coming to stay here. As you well know, I’m sure, since they all got back together, this last year has been super busy and they want to take a few weeks and go incognito. No one knows they will be coming here. I am asking you and your friends to take care of them. Make sure they have as much food and clean sheets and any other conveniences they desire. We will be adding on to your hut so that they will have a place to stay.”

“Thank you for entrusting us to represent you. We will be sure to make them welcome. And I will tell the girls to be polite and not fan girls.”

The next week flew by. There was little practice, but everyone got their workout by building rooms and beds and working on everything that it takes to make a home.

The day before the special guests were to arrive, the four Americans sat in their hut. “I can’t believe I get to meet Junsu!” squealed Rei.

“They are normal human being, they just happen to sing well and be very attractive. Please don’t make them uncomfortable and go all fangirl on them,” Nik sighed as she swept the floor for the hundredth time that day.

“So you’re not nervous at all?” Crys asked, watching her friend continue cleaning a spotless house.

“Seongsaeng told me he was entrusting me to be sure everything is perfect for them. That is the only reason I have any anxiety about this. We owe him everything, and I refuse to let him down.”

“Momma, will we still be practicing while they are here?” Aaron asked.

“Of course, Nama. We will just have to be sure the boys are taken care of first. If you would like to wake up and train with me in the mornings you can. We have fallen behind with all of the building this week.” Nik began re-wiping down the table and walls.

“You know, I heard Jaejoong was single,” Rei said to her blonde friend. They giggled like schoolgirls as Nik continued cleaning.

Nik snapped around when she heard someone approaching. Voices were coming from the woods. “Aaron, stay here with the girls,” she commanded. She breathed in deeply as she stepped outside, moving quickly and quietly to stay in the shadows. There were men coming, but they seemed to not be concerned with how noisy they were. Still staying in the shadows, she started to make out the frames and voices of the men. Taking one last moment to gain as much control of her emotions as she could, she stepped out of her hiding spot to greet the men she had at one point practically worshipped. “Annyeonghaseyo. Welcome to Geocheo Dojahng,” Nik gave a deep bow. “We were not expecting you until morning. We do not have any food prepared, but if you would like I could start something or if you would rather I could run to town to get something.”

Jaejoong was the first to speak. “There is no reason for that. We are already imposing on you by showing up early.” He gave a soft smile.

“I don’t know; I’m pretty hungry. What can you fix quickly?” Changmin, always the one to speak his mind, asked as he took a few steps to be at the front of the group.

“Well, it will take about twenty minutes to get the fire started, but I think I have enough ingredients for pancakes.”

Yunho shook his head. “No, that will not do. We ate before we started up here.”

“But I’m hungry,” Changmin groaned.

“You’re always hungry, and I want to relax. Would you mind showing us to our quarters?” Yoochun asked. He laughed as his younger friend pouted. “You look even more like a child when you do that.” Changmin gave him a playful shove and Yoochun just laughed harder.

“Y’all will be staying in a hut right outside of ours. If you need anything all you have to do is ask.” Nik quickly picked up a few of the men’s bags and started heading back in the direction of her hut. Yunho frowned when he realized she was carrying everyone’s bags.

“We can carry our own bags.”

“Y’all have had a long trip on foot,” was her answer as she kept a fast pace, passing her hut and walking into theirs. When everyone was in, she placed the bags on the floor. “We apologize for the tightness of the space. We are not used to building rooms for important people as yourselves. There are two bedrooms, one with two beds and the other with three. As you can see, this is the living area. I am sorry to tell you there is not any electricity. I should have breakfast ready around daybreak, but do not feel like you have to wake for it. Let me know when you want to eat and I will fix anything I have the ingredients for. We grow all of our vegetables on the grounds and fish in the stream to the north. The restroom is about ten meters from here, right outside of the huts. You won’t miss it.”

“Thank you for your hospitality,” Junsu said as he took a look around. “You seem to have put in a lot of hard work here.”

“It was not just me , it was all of us.” As she said that, her roommates and son appeared at the door. Nik shook her head. “Come on in since y’all insist on being nosy. This is Rei and Crys, my best friends. And this is my Nama, my son Aaron.” He quickly walked to his mother’s side and bowed.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Yunho dropped down to Aaron’s level. “You are as polite as your mother.” He chuckled when he got a pleased smile and slight blush from the youngster. He stood up to look at the women who had not made it all the way into the hut. “It is nice to meet you two as well.”

Junsu walked over and pulled the women farther into the room, an innocent smile on his face. “We won’t bite, you can come it.” Rei blushed when Junsu didn’t release her hand right away.

“Well it is late and I am sure y’all will want to get to sleep after such a long hike. If you need anything please feel free to come wake me up. We are in the hut on your right when you walk outside. I will be asleep in the main room.” Nik bowed and took her son’s hand and turned to walk out. She noticed Rei and Junsu were still holding hands and made a coughing sound. They quickly let go and Rei turned to follow before she was caught blushing.