Promise Ring

A Thousand Pieces
Yoseob's P.O.V

I did it, I bought a pair of Promise Rings. I'm going to ask Yeon Young out. It's perfect. New Year's Day, the park, a pair of rings. I sent her a text asking her to come to the park. I sat on the swing, gently running my fingers over the smooth surface of the rings. Smiling, I ran the whole process through my head.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Looking up, I saw a goofy Yeon Young smiling down at me. "Sunbae!" I snapped the box shut and stood. "What do you have there?" I hid the box behind my back.

"You'll see." I held the box tightly.

"Sunbae, I have so much to tell you." She grasped my hand, shaking it excitedly. I felt something cold rub against my skin. Looking down, I spotted a ring, a couple ring. My smile slowly faded. I looked at her. So happy. I can't ruin this for her. I laughed as I slipped the rings into my pocket.

"Does this have something to do with that ring?" She nodded, still smiling like a dork. I felt my heart sink. I smiled back,"Ahhh, so who's the unfortunate sap?" She smacked my chest.

"Junhyung." She said sheepishly. I felt my heart sink even lower. I continued to smile.

"I thought you hated him?"

"I kind of fell for him overtime. I know it ridiculous but everything feels so unreal, like a movie." I felt a sudden pain in my chest. She told me everything that happened between them and how he asked her right at New Years. I was late by only a few hours. Heh, that's fate for you. "Sunbae, I have a queston to ask you."

"Hmmm?" I looked up at her, expecting it to be about Junhyung. I'm really happy for them, honestly. This is just going to take some time to heal.

"Sunbae, I know you're Junhyung's friend and all but I feel like we've known each other forever. You're my soulmate! You always know what to do and say. I was wondering if, well, would you mind being my best friend?" A genuine smile spread across my face. Junhyung is my best friend and she is his girlfriend. I sincerely wish them the best. Besides, I care about Yeon Young. This is the best way to protect her and be able to help Junhyung if anything goes wrong.

"Best friends." She stuck out her pinky, making me laugh. "How old are you, five?"

"This is the only way I could be sure you won't betray me for Junhyung. Sunbaeeeeeeee," she pouted as she stuck her pinky out again.

"Aish, fine." I wrapped my pinky around hers tightly. With the smile of satisfaction across her face, she swung my hand back and forth by the pinky.

"Yoseob," I looked over at her, "didn't you have something you were going to show me?" The rings.

"Erm, I was just going to ask if you wanted ice-cream?" Yes, I know that's lame but I didn't know what else to say. She bought it, though. She smiled excitedly and nodded. I breathed a sigh of relief. "Aja." This the start of a beautiful friendship.