The Game

Follow me into the Darkness


    Hana was standing outside of her bedroom, staring out of the balcony of the tallest tower of her castle. A small smirk curves her lips as she watches the villagers working to their deaths below. They were skinny, almost fleshless. She could literally see the bones under their skin.

    " That's right," she said to herself in a low voice," this is what you deserve."

    With a hint of disgust on her face, she turned away from the balcony. A room of luxurious items welcomed her as she walks in. Gold, diamonds, rubies and other gemstones stared back at her, hungrily, asking to be worn. She smiled and touched them with delight and greed. All the richness in the kingdom, they were hers. Only hers. But they weren't her favorite.

    She touched the diamond dove that hung around her fragile neck, remembering how surprised she was when her brother had gotten it for her. He was her only source of real happiness. But now, she only found pleasure in torturing the innocence and watching them struggle under her hands. A soft knock on the door interrupted her thoughts, causing her to sight.

    " Come in," she ordered, her chocolate brown eyes watched as one of her youngest ministers enters. He was only a few years younger than her, probably about 15," what is it, Chinho?"

    " My queen, a servant was found stealing food in the kitchen," he reported after giving Hana a bow. A flicker of disbelief shot through Hana's eyes.

    " One of my servants was stealing food? From my castle? " Hana asked in a sharp voice, sending shivers down his back," where is this harlot, now?"

    " Sh-she's in the dungeons," he said, stammering a little, looking at the floor to avoid her gaze.

    " Take me to her," Hana ordered. Chinho bowed again and hurried off with Hana following a few feet behind. They reached the dungeons, taking a few turns here and there, before coming into sight of a young woman. She had short blonde hair and sapphire eyes. Dirt and tears streaked her face as she struggled against the chains that held her against the wall," Hyesu."

    The woman, Hyesu, said nothing as Hana stopped in front of her, the iron bars separating them in the room. Though the dungeon was dimly lit, they could still see each other in the darkness. Brown eyes versus blue eyes.

    " I'm surprised," Hana said with mock sadness," you were one of my faithful servants. Didn't we have an agreement? I'll feed your family and keep them safe as long as you work for me. Was that not enough for you?"

    " Someone like you wouldn't understand," Hyesu whispered in a harsh voice, hatred b her eyes as she glared at Hana," you don't have anyone. You don't have any friends, you don't have any families. You only have a kingdom, but your kingdom doesn't want you."

    Hana pressed her lips together, trying to contain her anger," what are you trying to tell me, harlot? "

    " Yes, you fed my family. Yes, you kept them safe. But I'm sick of you torturing my people and my friends. I'm sick of you starving them to death and taking all of their money," Hyesu breathed deeply," I'm getting sick of you."

    " Good," a small laugh escapes Hana's soft lips," I'm getting sick of you too, harlot. I think this is the end of our agreements. Chinho, announce the execution of Hyesu and her family to the villagers. Their death will be at noon."

    " YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" Hyesu screamed, trying to throw herself at Hana but the chains were restraining her," my family did nothing to you. Why would you do this!?"

    " Revenge is a , sweetheart," Hana whispered," and so am I," she smirked, got up and walked away until Hyesu's screaming became nothing more than a simple buzz in her ears. Silence soon came and Hana found herself in her room again. She gazed into her reflection, concentrating on her long brown hair and brown eyes. Remembering how young and innocent she used to be," but that girl is gone now," she reminded herself.

    " My queen," Chinho's voice came from the other side of the door," after I announced the execution for Hyesu, there's a group of people waiting outside of the castle gate for you."

    " I'll come down in a minute," Hana said, wondering what this could be about. She never had visitors at the gate. Dragging herself down the stairs and out of the castle, she approached the gate where the guards and Chinho were standing. She gave them a slight nod , signalling them to open the gates. The castle gate creaks open, revealing 7 handsome young men," you must be Infinite," she said with amusement. Everyone in the country knew about them. They were the salvation of the country," what may I help you with?"

    " We heard about the execution of Hyesu and her family," Sungjung began," we came here to talk you out of it, unless you want to do this the hard way."

    A smile was playing on Hana's face as she gazed at each of them, one by one," how about we do this....the fun way."

    " Yah, what are you talking about?" Sunggyu asked, narrowing his eyes at her. She signaled the guards to close the gate, trapping Infinite in the walls of her castle. They tensed up, prepared to fight to the death if they had to.

    " Let's play a game," Hana said," if any of you lose, I'll keep ruling the kingdom the way I always do and Hyesu and all of you, will be executed, in replace of her family."

    " And what if we win?" Myungsoo questioned her, giving her one of his icey glares.

    Hana tilted her head to the side," then, I'll let her go and I'll try to be nicer to the villagers."

    " And you'll be executed," Sunggyu added, looking confident as they stared each other down.

    " Very well," Hana shrugs," this game is called the Queen of Hearts. It's simple really, whoever falls in love first......loses."

    " Sounds easy," Sunggyu commented, a smile on his face.

    " I wouldn't be too sure if I were you," Hana steps forward so that their faces were almost touching," I always win."