Nightmare

Epidemic Heartbreak

I'm quite proud of this update lolololol.

Anyway, I'm sorry to announce my kind of... semi-hiatus.
I was never a regular updater so I guess nothing changes... I only wanted to make sure you know that I can't afford to update regularly...
Anyway! I've changed my writing style a little so see if you can notice ^^


I stood before two large tunnels, queuing in a line. Everybody was talking under their breath, sounding more like incomprehensible gibberish and nonsense to me. I looked around to find mum and dad standing next to me on both sides. They looked and felt like robots with no heat radiating from their cold, stiff bodies. That was when I realised everything was in grey scale. I felt like being in pitch dark, yet I can see white, glowing people. ‘Wow, so spooky.’ I made a sarcastic remark.

I took a few steps forward following the stranger in front of me in the line, with billions of questions popping up in my mind every second. ‘What am I doing? Where am I? What are they doing? Where are Junhong and Youngjae?’ and most ultimately – ‘Where is Jongup?’ I looked around again, standing on tiptoes desperately trying to get a better view, just to see a vast ocean of darkness with white dots of people standing in lines – like white dotted lines decorating an endless, raven piece of cloth.

Soon, I was on the front, close to the tunnel enough to see what was happening, but… People were only… simply… disappearing, engulfed by the darkness filling the tunnel. My heart became more and more curious about the tunnel; however I’d made up my mind not to go inside, because I was a coward like this. Well, unless Jongup was here.

At the thought of Jongup, I couldn’t help but searched around the place – everywhere – for that familiar figure. I scanned the crowds until I noticed that everybody’s eyes were on me. Their eyes were cold, empty, callous, expressionless yet scary, angry, furious, piercing when they looked into my eyes. I would rather say stare although they weren’t really staring because they looked so obnoxious and robotic that my hair stands. In unison, slowly, they pointed at the entrance of the tunnel on the right while advancing towards me – I supposed it was my turn. Step by step they approached me. Fear finally struck me but with them encompassing me I could only go forward, trembling in terror, into the sinister, ominous, foreboding tunnel full of fear.

“Hyunnie hyung.” A sweet voice called from the darkness calming my nerves, and the owner of the voice slowly came out from the tunnel before me. “Hyunnie hyung, come play with me.” Junhong’s lips didn’t move, neither did his face muscles, but I could hear his excited, happy voice.

“Hyunnie hyung~ Play with Junhong! I’ll join you shortly!” The voice I was longing to hear echoed from the deepest part of the tunnel and empowered me. I ordered my feet to stop when they almost moved by themselves, as if summoned by Jongup. I was still doubting, until Junhong took my hand and dragged me into the darkness, skipping and humming a nursery rhyme I didn’t know on the way. ‘Moon Jongup you better be inside.’ I prayed.

Dazzling bright light caught me off guard. What surprised me most wasn’t the sudden light, but the place I was warped to – the headquarter of AMORE. Yet, it was empty. No women clanking on their stupid high heels, no annoying static machine noises, no disgusting smell of disinfectant, no nerdy scientists working on their sick researches… It was still coldly white and metallic, though. My hatred for this place slowly reignited. However, I gasped for air in horror when I couldn’t feel Junhong’s hand in mine, despite how much I hated him. It was better than being alone, nonetheless.

My heart ached when I saw team leader Himchan’s door. I missed him and I felt guilty for constantly ignoring his texts. ‘Please be here…’ I found myself praying again. Hesitating a little, I stood in front of the familiar pearly white door, knocking twice.

“It’s open, kiddo. Come in.” The deep yet strangely comforting voice sang in a surprisingly cheerful manner.

Himchan had always been the nicest person to me underground. Unlike the others, he was cheerful, kind, sensitive, silly at times and really handsome. He treated me extra well because he chose me from my university class and trained me personally. I was always his favourite trainee. Despite his seriousness in front of the other professors, he often embarrassed himself and told jokes that weren’t even funny when he was with me. I laughed nonetheless. It was the only thing I could do, to be honest.

I pushed open the door, not to see Himchan or anything in his room, but to fall – into a seemingly bottomless pit. I plunged into something similar to water but obviously not it. It was more like a weightless territory. I started moving my arms and legs carelessly and even attempted to swim in this… beautifully coloured place. I couldn’t tell its colour – it was similar to turquoise, a calming, cool colour, yet had a hint of warming brown, or happy yellow. I had no idea, and decided at last not to care because I felt blissful and that was all that mattered to me. I was like suspending in air or something like that, surrounded by warmth like a blanket, fluffy and cosy. There was no end to this place, like the black, dark place I was in a moment ago. It felt like the opposite though. For a second I thought I was in heaven – how I wished my parents were here by my side, enjoying this wonderful feeling.

The dream in my dream came true. Fingers gently tapped my right shoulder. I rested my palm on the hand and grinned as I turned my head a bit to snuggle into the crook of my mother’s neck. I felt her lips stretching into a kind, motherly smile that made me even happier. Dad wrapped his arms around mum and me from the back, sharing our lovely moment. That was the most amazing thing I had experienced in a while, speaking from the heart.

“Dae, close your eyes.” Dad whispered into my ears. “Close it tight.” I complied as he covered my eyes with his big warm palms. He started counting – 3, 2, 1. The warmth disappeared and there was weight again. I collapsed onto the icy ground and winced at the pain and piercing coldness. I was sitting on a sheet of ice, too slippery for me to stand up. All my attempts to get up turned out to be epic, miserable failures and I felt so useless that my eyes pricked with tears.

“Hyunnie hyung~ I’m coming for you!” That voice. That soothing voice rang and a familiar build appeared from afar – Jongup. He glided on the ice with ease and a big smile on his face. I could not see it but I could feel it. He was helping me get up within a minute and I was grateful. If I said I was happy now that would be a complete understatement – I felt ecstatic, thrilled, elated as he pulled me around, skating and flying on ice with linking hands. With linking hands. How weird. I liked the feeling anyway and didn’t protest, at least I got to share some of his heat after lying on ice. Compared to his snug palm mine was an icicle.

“Are you happy, hyung?” Jongup asked as he skated around me in circle and hands kept behind his back like a little child. I nodded and said ‘yes’, beaming. “Good.” He giggled. “Time to wake up, Hyunnie hyung.”

Wake up?

“Hyunnie hyung! Wake up!” He said again, louder this time. I opened my eyes to see a whining Jongup in front of me, dressed up with earmuffs, scarf, gloves and a bulky coat which made him look extra clumsy. “You promised to take me to the ice skating rink last week! I’m ready and you’re still sleeping?” He pouted. How cute.

“How would I forget? I even reminded Youngjae to come last night.” I sat up from my awkward sleeping position and flashed a smile. “Now go out and wait for me as I get changed. Check out what’s in my fridge and tell me what breakfast you want. Quick, quick, quick, go!” I shooed him out of the room as I needed privacy.

What a dream I had had. My many feelings flooded my mind as I lied back onto my soft mattress, pulled my blanket over my head and sighed. I couldn’t believe that I had come back for more than five months. I came in the summer and it was already snowing out there, anticipation for Christmas filling the air.

I had visited my parents regularly and Junhong was growing on me. How could a normal person resist such cuteness? I fought over him for my parents at times though, because I was jealous and all that. I still couldn’t see him as a brother, but I enjoyed being admired by him. I met Youngjae at least once a week too, going to Subway for tea, hanging out when he’s off. As always, we would chill at Hongdae. Himchan actually sneaked out to join us once or twice because he thought underground life was boring without me. Professor Bang caught him – or should we say we caught Professor? Either way, both of them promised each other not to sneak out again. I had never seen them since then.

Jongup. We had grown closer throughout these months and time really flew when I was with him. There were no separate him and I now, everything was shared between us – secrets, belongings, clothes, bags, shoes, food. We always had breakfast and dinner together and regular movie nights, with Youngjae jumping in sometimes. Sometimes Jongup stayed at my place and sometimes I stayed in his.

Despite my vibrant life, my research was progressing well. I had already collected numerous pieces of information and I was used to eavesdropping and pretending to be friendly to strangers now. Being an ex-psychology student, I could easily fish out information of people without really hurting them. I couldn’t afford hurting people myself because I feel guilty too easily – I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself. Pathetic, right? I want the research to end soon, so that I would somehow be freed. Well, I wasn’t sure about that, but at least I wouldn’t feel so burden. Yet, the thought of returning to the headquarters sickened me. I hated life down there. So I was basically in a dilemma.

I pulled my sweater down and buckled my belt, ready to leave the room. I heard sounds of Jongup creating a mess in the kitchen so I sprinted out before he could make any destruction to my sanctuary.

“Moon Jongup I order you to halt and keep your fingers away from the holy place!” I aimed at him with my ‘handgun’ and looked at him with a cocky stare. He put his hands up and looked around him with an opened mouth.

“Oh my god officer I’m sorry! I’m innocent!” He acted and I tried hard not to laugh at his horrible acting.

“Freeze! Hands up! I’m going to search your body for weapons! Stand still!” I yelled as I advanced towards him.

“In your dreams!” He exclaimed when I was close enough to be tangled by him. He wrapped one arm around my neck, immobilising me, and pointed a ‘gun’ on my temple. “D-don’t move!” He stuttered. Within seconds, he released me and we both broke into hysterical laughter because we were acting so ridiculously.

“Seriously, what were we doing?” I laughed and hit Jongup’s chest, pushing him away. He displayed his signature toothy laugh and almost collapsed on the floor because of the force of my push and his stomach ache after laughing so hard.

“No violence, hyung! No violence!” He managed to say between his pants. “Now let’s cook, I’m more than hungry now.”

“Brunch?”

“SUREEEE!” He clapped his hands like a seal and offered to help. I decided to make Caesar salad with chicken but Jongup claimed he could eat more, so I made pasta as well. Jongup knew how to blanch spaghetti now so I had one less thing to worry about. After the brunch, we hurried to the ice skating rink to meet pissed off Youngjae.

“You promised to be here by 2pm, jerk.” Jongup and I smiled awkwardly, didn’t even bother to explain anything, because that would get us in deeper .

“Hmm…Why not start now. We’re already… Five minutes late.” Jongup spoke up. “Youngjae hyung! Please?” He whined like a little girl.

“I don’t understand why you’re so concerned. I mean, it’s only… five minutes okay.” I sort of complained, but sounded weaker than I intended to.

“Let’s go.” Youngjae mumbled and entered the rink with his hands shoved into his pockets. Jongup and I exchanged looks and held back our giggles while he followed closely behind him.

Youngjae soon forgot about our tardiness and had fun teasing our slow skating speed. Jongup once again proved that he was the clumsiest person in the world by tripping over his own feet after getting up for like, ten seconds. I had to slow down and drag him around the rink so as to warm him up a bit. He managed to do a few laps after a quarter of an hour. Soon, the three of us skated alongside with each other, laughing at our lame jokes and talking about stupid things, like we always did. I was grateful that the two of them got along well. It would be hell if my only two friends were enemy…

“!” Youngjae cursed and my attention shifted from Jongup to him. I stopped after gliding a few feet more and turned around. Jongup followed my example. Youngjae was tangled up with a girl he bumped into a few seconds ago and I almost laughed out. I waited for Jongup and approached Youngjae together; lending our hands and helping him get up. Jongup helped Youngjae pat away the ice on his jacket and I patted the ice away from his crotch and , earning a smack on the head.

Our attention turned to the girl Youngjae had collided with and realised we didn’t help her at all. She rejected our offers to help her and stood up by herself. My eyes widened. Not because of that she got up by herself, but her identity.

She was one of the twins.


I know it's a boring, (quite) long and wordy chapter... I wanted to fast forward a bit and to do that, I really had to tell you what happened during the time... so...

I'm sorry I guess? But...
Don't you just love cliff hangers? keke
Anyway, please give me feedbacks on this chapter!
Did you like my new "style"?
By the way, guess who is that twin x)

COMMENT PLEASE<3 MUAHHHHH