Protection

Epidemic Heartbreak

I woke up with a throbbing pain in my head. I slept in my seat, with my head resting on the desk – as expected. It had been two days and I still hadn’t slept on the bed yet… And this was going to make my headache worse. I stretched my arms and walked out to the living room. I glanced at the couch to find no one sleeping there.

‘Where is Jongup?’ I asked myself.

The question answered itself when a familiar figure walked out of the bathroom. “Ah Hyunnie hyung! Good morning! How are you feeling?” The boy said as he wiped off the water on his face with the back of his hand.

“I’m okay.” I replied with my tired voice, “and thank you…” As expected, he smiled and shook his head gently.

“No more headache?” He asked before walking towards the kitchen.

“It got better but… it’s back. Where’s the medicine?” I answered. I found it on the coffee table and told him I did.

“No hyung! No medicine before breakfast! I’m trying to cook you some… Just… Wait!” He panicked while cracking open an egg into a bowl clumsily. I shot him a worried expression unintentionally. He caught me and smiled awkwardly. “Don’t look at me like that! I swear I can manage to fry an egg! Okay now I’m distrac-“

Jongup placed a plate in front of me after a few minutes – a sunny side up and two slices of bacon. He sat at the opposite side of the table and looked at me proudly. “Try it!” I chuckled as I obediently did. It tasted wonderful. My eyes widen and I stuffed more into my mouth until it couldn’t hold more. It tasted like home. It tasted… familiar.

“Is it that good, hyung, don’t lie…” Jongup mumbled as he bit his lower lips. I simply gave him a thumb up, too busy to answer him.

“Thank you, again.”

“Don’t say that. Now eat your medicine, Hyunnie hyung!” He stuck out his tongue like a puppy and handed me the medicine with a cup of lukewarm water.

This boy was too motherly for his age.

---

Two weeks passed in a flash after I visited my parents, and throughout these days, it’s either Jongup coming over to my apartment for dinner, me bringing home-made food to his or the both of us dining out together. We would occasionally stop by the café opened by the twins and grab a drink, chatting together. Although it may seem that I was the one taking care of the younger boy, to me, it was vice versa. I took care of him physically, yet he took care of me physically and psychologically… And I called myself a psychology student. I should be ashamed. The time I shared with this bright boy seemed to have helped me move on, and no matter how many times I thanked him I couldn’t express my gratitude for him. Jongup wasn’t helpful on this though, responding my ‘thank you’s’ with that same big smile.

Anyway, working hour was working hour. Professor Kim, for some reason, kept encouraging me to go to a club. So, tonight, Jongup would be eating pre-cooked food I prepared for him beforehand, alone. I could still remember the pout I received from him, but I had to obey commands.

“Moon Jongup, I have a meeting to attend tomorrow night so I’ll prepare food for you…”

“Ah… Hyunnie hyung… Why? I have a lot to tell you…”

“I’d love to listen and I promise you I’ll be back as soon as possible, okay?” I explained and he nodded. “You can go to bed first and I’ll come in and fix your blankets or something. Don’t stay up too late!” He bit his lower lips and told me he would before I waved goodbye.

The giant speakers played loud, suffocating “music” and every object in the basement bounced along the strong beats. I sat by the bar, eyeing the crowd enjoying themselves on the dance floor. Disturbing lights flashed everywhere, making me dizzy and nauseous. ‘This is worse than being in the headquarters.’

Occasionally, high girls would stumble upon and lean on me, grinning and speaking non-sense. I’d stand up holding up my cocktail and move to another seat, leaving them to tumble down onto the floor, probably unconscious and neglected by their other “friends”. Sipping my cocktail in a peaceful corner, I scanned the room for another bored soul like me.

I failed to. But instead of a bored soul, I observed things rather interesting: depressed people trying to comfort themselves by getting drunk; guys hitting on guys, girls hitting on girls, which I found quite, no offense, amusing, especially when the target didn’t have the same orientation as them and freaked out. However, a relatively normal thing caught my eyes: a couple fighting – the girl in the café, screaming at another guy. I couldn’t differentiate the twins but I “accidentally overheard” their conversation anyway.

Words like “”, “” and “hoe” kept flying out from the male’s mouth as he spoke and I couldn’t help but furrow my eyebrows at every vulgar, profane word I heard. I couldn’t understand the reason behind such rudeness, but before interfering them, I decided to clear things out by listening for a while more.

Soon, accusations were smudged onto the girl’s face along with a bunch of swear words and slap. The man fiercely stomped away afterwards and I judgingly stared at him until he left the club. According to what I heard, the girl cheated on him with another man she had one-night stand with.

Wow, that was unexpected from such an innocent looking girl.

However, I made up my mind that I shouldn’t believe in everything I hear and started to approach the girl with careful steps, wanting to at least calm her down as a “friend”. Yet, she was approached by… not me, but another guy. He threw an arm over her shoulders and placed a peck on her cheek. “Hey Cheri! Lonely?” was the only thing I heard from the man before the following scene – a make out session which I didn’t want to see. I turned away and tried to erase all the obscene things I saw before emptying my cup and leaving.

Although I didn’t find, or strictly speaking: didn’t try to find, any useful information down in the club, I thought I learned a lot. This side of society was unknown to me all these years and it excited me somehow, not that I liked this messed up lifestyle though. On the other hand, Cheri, regardless of which twin she was, disappointed me. Yes, I shouldn’t judge her simply because of a crazy man yelled at her and she made out with another man right after, but I thought there must be something fishy behind all these, so I’d better stay away from the twins.

There wasn’t phone signal down in the basement, so missed calls alerts and text messages prompted me after I reached the ground surface. Three new messages from Moon Jongup, five missed calls from Kim Himchan, Kim Himchan, Moon Jongup, Moon Jongup, Moon Jongup, and a voicemail from Moon Jongup.

I listened to the voicemail first.

“Hyunnie hyung, where are you? … I can’t sleep. Are you still having a meeting? You should be tired. Return home soon… Bye.”

His text messages were pretty much saying the same things so I tried calling back Professor Kim after texting Jongup back. There was no response. I sighed and decided to call him again tomorrow. I glance at the clock in my phone; it was ten. I was going to buy some food but I remembered I still have a slice of cheesecake at home, so I headed straight back to home. I didn’t want to go to that café anyway, and Jongup might still be waiting for me.

I was right. When I entered the password to Jongup’s apartment and opened the door slightly ajar, I saw him sitting on the couch with his legs crossed, hugging a cushion. I peeked in and made him jump a little but of course, he smiled happily.

“You’re back!” Being the little boy he was, he stated the obvious. I nodded as a response. “I ate well, by the way. The food was amazing hehe.” I whispered a thank you.

“Now go to sleep, Moon Jongup.” I stuck my tongue out to , only responded by a wider smile. Really, this boy only knew how to smile… “Goodnight!”

“Goodnight, Hyunnie hyung!” He replied and I closed the door lightly.

I took a quick shower back in my apartment before competing my work and mini-reports. Finally, I got to eat my precious slice of cheesecake. And finally, I got to sleep on my own bed.

DAY 16: Jongup had to eat alone today, but he claimed he ate well. I went to the club and witnessed interesting things. Also, Cheri, one of the twins I met before, didn’t seem an innocent girl.

2. When you’re rejected
3. When somebody cheated on you

---

“A sub-of-the-day please.” I flatly said to the cashier at Subway with my head lowered, recording things I observed on the streets in my phone.

“Daehyun?”


hey lovelies! c: i'm back!
sorry for the relatively short update but i hope you liked it!
WHO WAS THAT CASHIER? haha i'm not going to tell but you may guess. it's easy. because i have a habit... of including every member in a fic. hehehehehe

i started a short halloween special fic called "PHASMOPHOBIA" featuring b.a.p and block b c: (omg my first rated fic. not that kind of rated though... sorry to disappoint xD)
i planned out the whole thing already and i'm telling you it's... quite scary even for myself T__T deaths everywhere i had a nightmare after planning it last night. if you like scary stuff, please check out the foreword! (note: youngjae is the main character >D)

i blame my crazy self for those super sick ideas -_- though... why would a normal person come up with those ideas... i'm a potential serial killer +__+

byeeeeeeeeeeeee<3

edit: COMMENT please ;_____;